Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Prowlin

Mein Auto: 2004 325ci
Driving with failed CCV?

So, if you've been following the issue from the thread 'White Smoke, Rough Idle, Help' , you'll know my car is 30 miles from my home , about 25 miles from my nearest trusted mechanic. I'm contemplating driving the car to the mechanic's shop; with full coolant and oil, would any damage be done in 25 miles distance? Save losing a bit of oil and coolant, will this effect the car in any other way?
Ads by Google
Old 01-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
You'll not likely find anything other than guessers here on this subject. Who among us knows how messed up your CVV system is or how fast they detonate when bad.
Guessing a 25 mile ride will not make the difference. Notice I've used the word guess twice in two sentences so far?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
$5 a mile for a tow. Is it worth $100 to risk it?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Prowlin

This is a huge stress; the installation costs are going to be significant on the part and funds are tight until Friday. I don't think I can afford a tow AND installation. The DIY guy on youtube [bull****korner] Said that long-term the seals can be damaged, and halltristan reaffirmed this even before I found the video. It -is- a big guess, as GoForth points out. I guess it's all gonna depend on how I feel when I wake up and get back in my wife's Mini and rage because my seats aren't heated and my passenger side mirror doesn't angle down when reversing.

I'll update tomorrow, ****'s going down then either way.

Last edited by E46landshark; 01-13-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:35 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
I did a quick google check on driving with a failed CCV. I saw a thread on E46 Fanatics that said some of the potential problems are hydrolocked cylinders and damaged seals. They did not state how long it takes for those things to occur.

Since it appears this the CCV just failed, I think you should be okay if you drive it easy back to your place, with a full compliment of extra oil on hand. BTW, does your car insurance have any kind of towing coverage?

Good luck. I know this is hard to do, but try not to stress too much.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:10 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
I hated my CCV valve problems. You can drive it, just be easy on the throttle and expect to burn a lottt of oil.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46landshark View Post
So, if you've been following the issue from the thread 'White Smoke, Rough Idle, Help' , you'll know my car is 30 miles from my home , about 25 miles from my nearest trusted mechanic. I'm contemplating driving the car to the mechanic's shop; with full coolant and oil, would any damage be done in 25 miles distance? Save losing a bit of oil and coolant, will this effect the car in any other way?
You won't have any trouble up to a point. I drove about 200 miles with a failed CCV. Highway miles are no problem. Stop and go traffic could cause problems with continued driving.

Member No. 470379
Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
The way to answer this question is to understand what the CCV does.
For example, is the CCV required to drive a vehicle?

I would think (i.e., I'm one of the guessers) that you can simply disconnect and/or cap the hoses, and you'll do just fine.

All you should lose (I'm guessing again) is a bit of oil recovery, which isn't a major concern.
Of course, you have to plug the hoses as the vacuum leak will be debilitating otherwise.

For (much much much) more information on how the CCV works, see this thread:
- How to test the crankcase ventilation (aka CCV, CVV, PCV, CPV, & OSV) pressure regulating valve system (1)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1358095637
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m54_ccv_diagram_bmw_e46_e39.png
Views:	38
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	357426  

Last edited by bluebee; 01-13-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 06 325ci Coupe ZSP
I just watched the 3 part video on how to change the CCV on the Bav Auto Youtube channel. It is very cool - makes me want to do mine. Might want to check it out. The labor on a service like that would be huge since it takes so long but it is just removing components and working away and then at one point you reverse the ratchet and put it all back.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMotherWheels View Post
I just watched the 3 part video on how to change the CCV on the Bav Auto Youtube channel. It is very cool - makes me want to do mine. Might want to check it out. The labor on a service like that would be huge since it takes so long but it is just removing components and working away and then at one point you reverse the ratchet and put it all back.
BigMotherWheels, if you still feel that way later in the year, I'll drive to VA and let you practice on my car. I'll bring some good TN whiskey (JD or Dickel) for you.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post
BigMotherWheels, if you still feel that way later in the year, I'll drive to VA and let you practice on my car. I'll bring some good TN whiskey (JD or Dickel) for you.
Or, you could just wait until I move to Nashville. There's very little I haven't done on my bimmers at this point.

Member No. 470379
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 06 325ci Coupe ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyboy View Post
I am up for it. Though it might take a bit longer and the car might not work if you bring the god stuff.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
... I'm contemplating driving the car to the mechanic's shop; with full coolant and oil, would any damage be done in 25 miles distance? Save losing a bit of oil and coolant, will this effect the car in any other way?
Why are you losing coolant? The CCV has nothing at all to do with the cooling system. I think that whatever is wrong with the cooling system is a bigger danger for you driving it than the CCV is.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Prowlin

Fffffffffffffffffffff
Got all of Arkansas and then some between us.:/
Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM
John Voight's BMW

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMotherWheels View Post
True, but speaking as someone who has done it, it is a bear. When a mechanics mirror is needed for certain parts, you know it will be a good time!

Overall I'd rank it a 8/10 in difficulty. You're right, it is mostly labor cost, I think my parts cost was about $150-$200 if I remember correctly.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Learning Daily

Mein Auto: 89 CIVIC
a bad ccv is basically a vacuum leak unless it is stuck closed (in which case it would increase crank case pressure). all it will do is cause adaptation codes (lean condition). as long as your car is not misfiring excessively or dying out right away i dont see why you couldnt drive it to the dealer.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post

Overall I'd rank it a 8/10 in difficulty. You're right, it is mostly labor cost, I think my parts cost was about $150-$200 if I remember correctly.
I'd put it at 6/10 if you're patient. Not that tough, but just takes going slo till your fingers get their education.
Not saying it wasn't an 8 for you, just wanted to let others know it's different for different people.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
I'd put it at 6/10 if you're patient. Not that tough, but just takes going slo till your fingers get their education.
Not saying it wasn't an 8 for you, just wanted to let others know it's different for different people.
Agreed, I could see a 6/10 as well and does depend on the person, prior experience, tools available, etc. I did my cooling system and OFHG at the same time so while I gained a lot of working room, doing all 3 was 12 hour job that probably altered the perceived level of effort for the CVV.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325iT - Sienna Rot
Having done the CCV before without removing the intake manifold (basically the way the BAVAUTO video shows it), I'd give it a 5/10 - not that difficult. However, I will throw a caution out there that it involves a lot of work in tight spaces with little to no leverage. You'll have to get creative with pliers/clamps/screwdrivers/etc to squeeze hose fittings on/off.

Now if you add the typical list of "if you've gone this far, might as well....", the complexity doesn't change but the time involved and the parts bill goes up. I'm thinking intake bellows, Air Control Valve, DISA seal, Valve Cover/gaskets, SAP lines, etc.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Prowlin

UPDATE: she's in the shop safe and sound

Started her up and had the smoke for a couple seconds with a cranky idle, dropping and catching itself for abt 10 minutes before it regulated and sustained. No problems all the way until pulling into the parking lot. Got out and spoke with the owner - and as if the BMW dieties had kissed my feet, he was from China! My wife was with me, a native of Hunan province. They gabbed on in mandarin for ten minutes before he told me my car would be finished possibly this evening , if not early tmr morning. His parking lot was filled with cars left over the holidays but he made it clear the next car into the bay would be mine. He's charging exceptionally low (360 USD) and I've got a mechanic now who we have made great friends with rig off the bat. His second specialty after BMW? MINI. This is An amazing outcome, my wife's car is e base model 2010 cooper this headache and stressful situation turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Thanks everyone for all the input. Invaluable forum with invaluable members .
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
UPDATE: she's in the shop safe and sound

Started her up and had the smoke for a couple seconds with a cranky idle, dropping and catching itself for abt 10 minutes before it regulated and sustained. No problems all the way until pulling into the parking lot. Got out and spoke with the owner - and as if the BMW dieties had kissed my feet, he was from China! My wife was with me, a native of Hunan province. They gabbed on in mandarin for ten minutes before he told me my car would be finished possibly this evening , if not early tmr morning. His parking lot was filled with cars left over the holidays but he made it clear the next car into the bay would be mine. He's charging exceptionally low (360 USD) and I've got a mechanic now who we have made great friends with rig off the bat. His second specialty after BMW? MINI. This is An amazing outcome, my wife's car is e base model 2010 cooper this headache and stressful situation turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Thanks everyone for all the input. Invaluable forum with invaluable members .
$360 for parts and labor is ridiculously low. i got a couple of quotes from 2 indy shops and both quoted around $2,000 for the job.

EDIT: That price make me suspicous. I have to assume parts are minimum $200 with any shop discount. So he is only charging $160 in labor? Even a pro can't do that job faster than 3-4 hours I don't think.

Last edited by delirium330; 01-15-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Prowlin

I bought the part at Jackie cooper for 62.47 usd

That's entirely labor. On my way! to pick the car up, pics to come
Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 PM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
I bought the part at Jackie cooper for 62.47 usd

That's entirely labor. On my way! to pick the car up, pics to come
did you just replace the CVV itself, or the hoses as well?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Prowlin

The bottom hose was replaced as well for an additional 30 usd. 390 usd for labor + bottom hose, 453 altogether and she runs like normal now

At long last, she's home. Not really pics to show you of the operation, but I do have new pictures of my car which I'll put in the proper thread.

Last edited by E46landshark; 01-15-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
The bottom hose was replaced as well for an additional 30 usd. 390 usd for labor + bottom hose, 453 altogether and she runs like normal now

At long last, she's home. Not really pics to show you of the operation, but I do have new pictures of my car which I'll put in the proper thread.
Cool, steal of a deal on the labor, which is rare these days. Probably should have replaced all the hoses while in there because you risk the yellow mayo gunk buildup in other hose and valve cover simply re-entering the CVV and reclogging it, but for that price I guess I wouldn't complain too much.