Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325 2006
325i 2006 BMW starter/PCV broken??

hi,
i recently replaced my 325i 2006 BMW starter. i took it to a non-bmw mechanic.
after they replaced it, i believe that they broke PCV Valve !! when i start the car , it shakes at the beginning . also when i turn on heater/defroster, it smells like burning oil or something..
so i think it might be for broken PCV Valve connections/tubes!!
any possible scenarios??
also i really appreciate if you could please tell me how i could replace PCV Valve myself.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (13).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	357399   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (12).JPG
Views:	71
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	357400  
Ads by Google
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
those 2 pcv hoses are very brittle. i always replace them on every starter motor replacement. r/i intake manifold again. take it to the shop again is there fault
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App buzz
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM

Unhappy

i contacted the mechanic shop who changed my starter, and he said that the tube was already broken and he taped it. BUT i am sure he broke it, but he keeps denying it!
really dont want to go thru court process and sue him and etc.....

i contacted the dealership and PCV system is around 150$. i uncovered the engine and tried to find tubings, but could not find them..any help highly appreciated.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (16).JPG
Views:	18
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	357927   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (15).JPG
Views:	17
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	357928  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:55 AM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
both hoses attached to the bottom of ccv valve. they did broke it when they removed the intake they are very brittle when old , it should have been part of the estimate but not been a bmw shop they didnt know that.it looks likes you will have to take a loss and do it somewhere else and put the shop in your black list despite if they are cheap

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM

Question

Thank you very much for infos.
i already paid them 550$ for replacing my starter. i wish i could do it myself. i was very desperate to have it fixed, since i use it everyday to go to work.

is there any way i could replace those (PCV hose and system ) myself? i am very handy with tools. i could not find any instructions on the web in this regards.they are mostly general informations and not step by step instructions..!
thanks

Last edited by eagle2222; 01-16-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: E36
Are you in California? If he taped them, that is considered a "service" and is required by law to be listed on your invoice. Not only that, a recommendation of the replacement of those parts is also required as they are emissions related. Even if he taped them "for free" to be "a nice guy", he is now technically responsible for the repair. And yes, he is the one that broke them.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 PM

He keeps telling me that he did not do it and he is not responsible..
Now when I turn on the defroster or heater, I can smell burning oil or something in my car...
I can possibly sue him, but I have to pay twice as much for legal fees and court and etc...

I just figured to pay 100$ for PCV ( if that what the problem is..??!) and replace it myself over the weekend...?
Any suggestion on how to do this procedure , highly appreciated thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: E36
I'm not telling you to sue him, just explain the law (which he is already aware of) to him. The problem is, they are in there pretty deep.

I looked around and the most I could find that might help is: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...38&hg=11&fg=15 and
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567560

There doesn't appear to be a step by step procedure available online to tell you what to do, and ultimately, you have to locate which hoses he broke in the first place.

Edit: Here's the thing. In this business, if you service a part, you are responsible for its proper function. Its as simple as that. Take a shop who decides to do a fluid service on an automatic transmission that has very dirty fluid. 100 miles down the road, the tranny fails. That shop is responsible for the entire rebuild or replacement of that transmission. They may have just been doing what they thought was right, but the law states they are held liable for its proper function. The fact that he taped up the part instead of recommending a replacement of it to you means he is now responsible for it. This is especially true being that your car will now no longer pass smog due to the pcv failure.

Last edited by jhurless; 01-18-2013 at 12:13 AM.