Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-12-2013, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: E93 (in transit)
Are rear headrests on E93 conv adjustable?

We're buying a 328i convertible in March (ED from Munich). When we test drove the car our 11 year old son was in the back and he mentioned that the rear headrest made his head come forwards so that he wasn't so comfortable.

Are these rear headrests adjustable ideally forward/backwards; failing that up/down, or worst case removable?

We're planning on driving a long trip (20+hours driving each way) and want to know if it's going to be uncomfortable for him.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
From what I've seen, these head rests are okay. I don't think they are adjustable, but I think some have removed them to fit a baby seat. I've sat in the back of my car and didn't find any issue. Did you sit back there to confirm? I suggest posting a picture or try driving another e93.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 PM

Thanks - and good to hear this from an owner. Appreciated.

I may make a special trip to the dealership to check. (Unless anyone can confirm).

Perhaps it's just that my 11 year old is just the wrong height and they're sized for adults.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i E93
Just checked my 2012 e93. Rear headrests do not appear to be adjustable. No mechanism that I could see or feel. Sorry. Hope this doesn't prevent you from enjoying an otherwise terrific car!

2012 335i E93 Le Mans Blue | Saddle Brown | M Sport | Convenience | Cold Weather | Premium | PCD 7/19/12
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBMW View Post
Just checked my 2012 e93. Rear headrests do not appear to be adjustable.
Thank you BruinsBMW - really appreciated.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Mine don't move either - assuming it is due the rollover protection system that they are attached to!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Convertible
Nope.. can't adjust it
Old 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Monaco Blue 'vert
Same here. Fixed.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 PM

Thank you! Really impressed by these responses. Maybe I should use a booster seat for my 11 year old son!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
How about driving the car without him in riding in the back seat. And why would you consider not buying a car just because he didnt like the rear head rest, Is he planning on living at home and riding in the back seat till he is 40. My dad would have told me, Son when you help buy the car then I will listen to your input (no offense but these days parents want to be their kids buddies and not their parents)

Hondo
Old 01-13-2013, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
From what I've seen, these head rests are okay. I don't think they are adjustable, but I think some have removed them to fit a baby seat. I've sat in the back of my car and didn't find any issue. Did you sit back there to confirm? I suggest posting a picture or try driving another e93.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
Yup that was me. It's not documented in the owners manual, but they do come out with a fairly significant amount of direct upward force, and then will pop back in. I had to take mine out because it was interfering with the back to my son's booster seat. He hit the height needed to go booster seat only without the back, so now I've got the headrest back in. Yes it's part of the rollover protection system. Both of the rear headrests will pop up during a rollover. If the OP hits the search, I think somebody posted a diagram or a link to something that explains how it works (probably kat).

Edit: Actually if you look very closely in my sig pic, you can tell that I have the left rear headrest removed here. It's back in now.

more pics here
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
My kids are 9 and 11 and the 9 year old rides in a booster seat all the time, the 11 year old doesn't seem to have any issues with the headrest, but he may just be a little taller or shorter that the headrest doesn't bother him - I would try him on a booster and see if it helps.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
Yup that was me. It's not documented in the owners manual, but they do come out with a fairly significant amount of direct upward force, and then will pop back in. I had to take mine out because it was interfering with the back to my son's booster seat. He hit the height needed to go booster seat only without the back, so now I've got the headrest back in. Yes it's part of the rollover protection system. Both of the rear headrests will pop up during a rollover. If the OP hits the search, I think somebody posted a diagram or a link to something that explains how it works (probably kat).

Edit: Actually if you look very closely in my sig pic, you can tell that I have the left rear headrest removed here. It's back in now.
Great insight - think I read your thread earlier. God to know they're removable; also the aesthetics top down aren't too disrupted (thought it would look worse).

I suspect we'll go the booster seat route. As mentioned we'll be driving on two long trips this year (to enjoy the car).
Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
I removed my headrests in the back seats almost 6 years ago. They move up and down and as reported a strong tug up and they are out. They reduce visibility too much for me and when out the plastic covers do a good job of covering the roll bars. I am going to get some padded roll bar material like you see on Jeep roll bars and just take the cover off and pad them. I really enjoy not having my rear vision blocked by having these head rests out...