Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: Not a bmw.. yet
Does 320 comes with heads up display?

When I try to build, it is not listed as an option, was wondering if its standard?

Last edited by eudora; 04-15-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-15-2013, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
HUD doesn't appear to be offered as an option - and it is not standard.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
nope, looks like you need to go to the 328i to add tech package (HUD and navi)
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: Not a bmw.. yet
Gotcha, thanks for confirming
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i RWD SportLine F30
Interesting that they're not even making the tech package an option and no option for the DHP either.

A loaded to the gills (non metallic paint) 320i tops out at 42,195 MSRP
Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
If it were my call, I would make all options available on all cars (with rare exception). For example, air cooled seats...only in 7. I would make it avail in 1, 3, 5 also. If someone wants to buy it, then I would make money on it.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i X-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clepto View Post
Interesting that they're not even making the tech package an option and no option for the DHP either.

A loaded to the gills (non metallic paint) 320i tops out at 42,195 MSRP
I just built one at over $48k for a 320i Xdrive - not counting accessories like $4k for nicer wheels,.

2.0-liter, inline 4-cylinder
xDrive, intelligent all-wheel drive
See all standard features
BASE MSRP
$34,550
Black Sapphire Metallic$550
Venetian Beige Dakota Leather$1,450
Dark Burl Walnut wood trim$500
Cold Weather Package$950
Driver Assistance Package$950
Lighting Package$900
Premium Package$3,200
Sport Package$1,000
BMW Apps$250
Navigation system$2,150
Split fold-down-rear seat$475
Anti-theft alarm system$400
BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB$0
Destination & Handling:$895
BMW Ultimate Service™
A suite of premium benefits that are included at no cost with all new BMW Vehicles.
4 Years/50,000 Miles WarrantyIncluded
4 Years/50,000 Miles
Maintenance ProgramIncluded
4 Years/Unlimited Mileage
Roadside AssistanceIncluded

Total MSRP as Built $48,220
Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
If it were my call, I would make all options available on all cars (with rare exception). For example, air cooled seats...only in 7. I would make it avail in 1, 3, 5 also. If someone wants to buy it, then I would make money on it.
... as in Europe.

The 320i in Europe can be equipped with all the 328i/335i options, including the Lines. And even better: you can combine a 320i Luxury Line with Saddle Sport seats and M suspension (Active or Sport).
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 328i RWD SportLine F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugghaid View Post
I just built one at over $48k for a 320i Xdrive - not counting accessories like $4k for nicer wheels,.

Total MSRP as Built $48,220
Ah, I probably was only looking at the packages and not the additional options (non Xdrive)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
... as in Europe.

The 320i in Europe can be equipped with all the 328i/335i options, including the Lines. And even better: you can combine a 320i Luxury Line with Saddle Sport seats and M suspension (Active or Sport).
You can't do that here. First, it is too confusing with so many options. Second, how would dealers stock the lots when everybody would go "OK, but it doesn't have XY and my friend has it." How do you envision selling cars like that? It's just wrong ...

(Hope hou don't need emoticons)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 04-16-2013, 04:35 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
You can't do that here. First, it is too confusing with so many options. Second, how would dealers stock the lots when everybody would go "OK, but it doesn't have XY and my friend has it." How do you envision selling cars like that? It's just wrong ...

(Hope hou don't need emoticons)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
It is already confusing for most salespeople just to sell a car with so much technology. And just looking at my local dealer's inventory, perhaps 1 out of 10 F30 has Navigation. So even the current number of options is a lot to them.

So the problem is not the options, the problem to me is the capability of the average salesperson to sell a complex product and the average buyer giving a damn about those options.

I'm not talking about average people.

All those options are on the factory floor. Somewhere along the BMWNA and BMWAG deals there is a decision to limit what can be installed in USA cars. I agree with the aforementioned "If someone wants to buy it, then I would make money on it." That's works quite well in Europe, and the options over there are a la carte. The mix and match is extensive, but somehow that's BMW-way since I lived in Germany 20 years ago.

Because only those that really want an option will pay for it -and those only order cars and not pick one up at the lot. I wanted Rust Brown seats in my M3 and I just paid for it. No USA M3 is offered with Rust Brown seats at the dealer. But they are there for those who just ask.

My point is, BMWNA should just open the ordering process for those that really want something a la carte. That if a customer in the USA wants HUD in their 320i like in the UK they just price the sucker at MSRP and let the customer decide. But if the customer do decide then please punch the damn code in the ordering screen without the standard "no can't do". The salesperson does not even have to know or actively sell those options, just let the customer ask for them and take it from there.

This particular customer is buying a car -that's a sure sell.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 AM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:
It is already confusing for most salespeople just to sell a car with so much technology. And just looking at my local dealer's inventory, perhaps 1 out of 10 F30 has Navigation. So even the current number of options is a lot to them.

So the problem is not the options, the problem to me is the capability of the average salesperson to sell a complex product and the average buyer giving a damn about those options.

I'm not talking about average people.

All those options are on the factory floor. Somewhere along the BMWNA and BMWAG deals there is a decision to limit what can be installed in USA cars. I agree with the aforementioned "If someone wants to buy it, then I would make money on it." That's works quite well in Europe, and the options over there are a la carte. The mix and match is extensive, but somehow that's BMW-way since I lived in Germany 20 years ago.

Because only those that really want an option will pay for it -and those only order cars and not pick one up at the lot. I wanted Rust Brown seats in my M3 and I just paid for it. No USA M3 is offered with Rust Brown seats at the dealer. But they are there for those who just ask.

My point is, BMWNA should just open the ordering process for those that really want something a la carte. That if a customer in the USA wants HUD in their 320i like in the UK they just price the sucker at MSRP and let the customer decide. But if the customer do decide then please punch the damn code in the ordering screen without the standard "no can't do". The salesperson does not even have to know or actively sell those options, just let the customer ask for them and take it from there.

This particular customer is buying a car -that's a sure sell.
IMO the lack of options is because leasing is such a major piece of the sales pie in the US. The dealers and BMWNA don't want to get stuck with a lease turn in that is so unique that they can't sell as CPO.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 04-16-2013, 05:04 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
IMO the lack of options is because leasing is such a major piece of the sales pie in the US. The dealers and BMWNA don't want to get stuck with a lease turn in that is so unique that they can't sell as CPO.

I'm not talking about a Phoenix Yellow 320i with Coral Read seats. I'm talking about Saddle sport seats and HUD in a 320i (for example).

Again, this does not apply to dealer-ordered cars in the lot. Only to factory-ordered cars by customers, and only if the customer ask for particular options. If the sales person can upsell that customer a 328i with those options not available in the 320i, great. If the customer budget cannot go that high and still want those options in the 320i then what's the problem? Somewhere along the factory line is a F30 dash assembly with HUD not yet installed. Put it in a USA-bound 320i at a premium but less than the 328i's and allocate it to that dealer's customer. BMWNA made money, dealer made money, customer paid more for what he/she wanted. Nobody got hurt.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
ventilated seats are available in the 5 series as part of the luxury seating package..

but i disagree with you. why would you want that? there needs to be some options only available on the 7 and nothing else. packages only for the 5 and 7 and nothing else. packages only available for the 3, 5, and 7 and not the 1. you see where i'm going with this... the flagship model needs to be distinguished from the rest. i honestly think that its a shame how the close the 5 and 7 series are now. there are no major options that you cannot get on the 5 that is only available on the 7. nightvision, comfort seats, etc are all available on the 5 and 7. when you really look at it, why get a 7 over a 5 (short wheelbase is what i'm referring to here). you can option out a 5 to the same level as a 7.. that shouldnt be. compare the E class to the S class.. huge difference (maybe a little too big )
Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
ventilated seats are available in the 5 series as part of the luxury seating package..

but i disagree with you. why would you want that? there needs to be some options only available on the 7 and nothing else. packages only for the 5 and 7 and nothing else. packages only available for the 3, 5, and 7 and not the 1. you see where i'm going with this... the flagship model needs to be distinguished from the rest. i honestly think that its a shame how the close the 5 and 7 series are now. there are no major options that you cannot get on the 5 that is only available on the 7. nightvision, comfort seats, etc are all available on the 5 and 7. when you really look at it, why get a 7 over a 5 (short wheelbase is what i'm referring to here). you can option out a 5 to the same level as a 7.. that shouldnt be. compare the E class to the S class.. huge difference (maybe a little too big )
Perhaps that's the reason the F10 5-Series has been an overwhelming sales success according to BMW. It is intentional.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Oh, I know ... I'm sorry but I was sarcastic. I bought 2 new cars while living in Europe and miss the process. Yes, even at the reasonably increased price. No, we shouldn't pay the same price because we don't have VAT and our sales tax is anywhere between 6 and 10%. Not 20-25%.

I understand also very legitimate objections of posters answering to this message from Technic. However, if
a) you are buying (not leasing) the car and
b) you are willing to pay
you should be able to have M5 with cloth seats. For example.

It is just ridiculous. Sometimes I just go to see what's available as "Individual" and to me it never justifies the price. I want to pay extra to have cloth seats and remove the sunroof, thank you very much, not to have specific exterior color or leather.

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
No, we shouldn't pay the same price because we don't have VAT and our sales tax is anywhere between 6 and 10%. Not 20-25%.
This is a bad argument, and one that i see all the time. People try and compare one aspect of a financial system to one aspect of another financial system. You simply can't do this in real-world situations unless you are trying to argue a specific point and do it with misleading stats. Other countries have VAT tax, and potentially other taxes, but what do we have in the way of income tax? Do we have universal health care? Is our college paid for? How do our roads, trash collection, property taxes, etc all compare. To discuss any one point of an economy requires you to discuss most if not all of it.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post

I disagree with this.
If I needed a very small car, I could decide to get a loaded 1.
If I need a "small" car loaded to the teeth, I should be able to pick up a 3 series and do just that.
If my needs are for a larger car, then I bump up to the 5er.
I my needs are for a really larg car then a 7 would do just in.

What doesn't make sense to me is having to step up to the next series just to get some of the goodies.

The reason I still don't have a beemer is that, for me, a 5 is out of the question (budget wise), but used to be the model that offer most if not all the gadgets that I wanted. And a E90, 3 missed some of theem (like HUD).
Now that the 3 can have some of those options I was drooling for, then it's the perfect match for me (being in Hotlanta, ventilated seats would be great tho).

Based on my driving style (and current car), I am convinced that a 335 is an overkill. I am purposedly stearing clear from even test driving it, to avoid getting hooked.
The 328i looks just fine, and will give more power (and lots more torque) than my current car.
A 320i could have been a good solution, but I do feel that under 200hp is not enough (even though that it will feel a lot better than my Honda, mainly because of the extra torque (and BMW's habit of under rating the HPs).

The 320i is out because it does not offer HUD, also (but not as important) the all black dash (without the silver/chrome accents). Finally I am not in-love with the std wheels (and the optioned ones are way too expensive - but this is also the easiest upgrade I could do on my own).

So, although the 320i might have done the work for me just right, I am pushed into the 328i which would make it even "more right", and luckily I can steer clear of the 335i since the 328 already can have all the things I want (and then some).

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:
I'm not talking about a Phoenix Yellow 320i with Coral Read seats. I'm talking about Saddle sport seats and HUD in a 320i (for example).

Again, this does not apply to dealer-ordered cars in the lot. Only to factory-ordered cars by customers, and only if the customer ask for particular options. If the sales person can upsell that customer a 328i with those options not available in the 320i, great. If the customer budget cannot go that high and still want those options in the 320i then what's the problem? Somewhere along the factory line is a F30 dash assembly with HUD not yet installed. Put it in a USA-bound 320i at a premium but less than the 328i's and allocate it to that dealer's customer. BMWNA made money, dealer made money, customer paid more for what he/she wanted. Nobody got hurt.
I suppose with receipt of a large enough deposit it could work. People back out of custom ordered cars all the time.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Do we have universal health care? Is our college paid for? How do our roads, trash collection, property taxes, etc all compare. To discuss any one point of an economy requires you to discuss most if not all of it.
Furby, it is not a political argument. Every time I say "I'm willing to pay more in order to have choices" somebody inevitably asks if I would pay $45k for a base 328i with zero options because that's what they cost in Europe when you convert Euros to dollars straight price.

Their VAT is what it is (for whatever reason, it's not the point of this discussion) and our prices are quoted without sales tax. Thus the huge discrepancy and fear-mongering how we will all get screwed if we just dare to desire to order our cars exactly as we want them - or, at least, have the same privilege European buyers do.

I only wanted to explain that nobody will die if we pay a tad more if what we are paying for is a car exactly as we want it. As Technic already said, everything is already on the factory floor, they just need to install it and make me pay for the privilege. But that privilege doesn't necessarily mean paying exact same price as Europeans because we are not taxed the same way. No politics there, just an observation.

Last edited by Mark K; 04-16-2013 at 10:17 AM.