Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5
Air Filter Replacement for a 5.0i

Took my vehicle in for service at 2 years and got things changed except for the air filter. I told them I wanted it replaced but they told me when I picked up the vehicle that it didn't need reeplacement (right, after 2 years),,so I decided to do it my self. I worked on many cars in the past,,,but the torx placement for the removal of the box is almost out of reach unless you remove the rear cowl which I don't think that they do. What I want to know are there better ways of replacing the air filter,,,any short cuts??? This is my first time with the 5.0i engine so I am kind of new to it. I did a search but nothing came up for this type of engine and filter placement! Question,,,is the air filter plenum box removeable like the engine cover.??
Thanks guys.......

Last edited by buckeyewalt; 01-13-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
,any short cuts???

Go back to the dealer and pay out of your pocket.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
Go back to the dealer and pay out of your pocket.
Really,,,,,,I already purchased the air filters,,,so that said,,,,is it really that difficult??..I looked at the air filter box and it does move,,so thinking it comes off like the engine cover,,just need a confirmation on that!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
Really,,,,,,I already purchased the air filters

If they are BMW filters, try asking them to discount the price from the service.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
If they are BMW filters, try asking them to discount the price from the service.
I know and realize that I can do that,,,my question is that since I have never replaced an air filter on THIS vehicle,,,but all of my other cars,,,what is the procedure to change it. With my Benz,,I had a similar engine cover that needed to be removed plus the air filter box also needed to be removed,,,not really that difficult,,,but just trying to confirm the correct procedure......
Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Search my friend is your best friend!

Not sure if this clip matches your vehicle exactly . . . but it should give you enough info to allow you to do this air filter switch yourself.

BMW X5 E53 Air Filter & PCV Replacement How to DIY
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
Search my friend is your best friend!

Not sure if this clip matches your vehicle exactly . . . but it should give you enough info to allow you to do this air filter switch yourself.

BMW X5 E53 Air Filter & PCV Replacement How to DIY
Thanks for the clip,,,,however, I have a 5.0i and it is totally different from the clip you sent,,BUT thanks for your time and effort. I did a search,and while there were plenty of tips for other engines,,,none were around for the 5.0i. I did get a very helpful tip from someone on "another" board relating to the 5.0i,,and according to the pictures, it is not a very easy job. Believe it or not,,it calls for the removal of the engine cover, cowel, and brace supprots...obviously BMW feels like you don't need to change the air filter that much,,,even so,,I was surprised by the small size of the filter,,even taking into account that there are 2 of them!

Again thanks for your time in posting the clip!!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i M-Sport PP, 135i
So the question is, was the dealer right? In your opinion did the filters need replacing?
2010 R1200GS Adventure 30th Anniversary Edition

Past BMWs
2010 Carbon Black M5
2007 Graphite K1200GT
2008 335ia
2005 545i
2004 R1150R
2003.5 M3 Cabrio
2000 540ia
1997 M3 sedan
1997 540ia
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerandBimmer View Post
So the question is, was the dealer right? In your opinion did the filters need replacing?
I spoke with the SM about changing the filter when I sent back my survey and marked it as average. He said that BMW changed the requirements from every second oil change to every third oil change,,or 36,000 miles. He said that his techs didn't replace the filter becasue BMW would not pay for the change because of the new guidelines. I for one, can see BMW's wanting to change the cycle life mainly because of the labor charge involved. The filters are cheap ($23+) each, but the labor involved is the real killer. My dealer said that he would replace the filters and argue with BMW later,,,since I was just there and the dealership is almost 2 hrs away,,I told him that I would reschedule it for sometime in February, which he said OK. I will report back when I see the condition of the old filters.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i
There is a great write up in this post, see post #24. Air filter replacement how to.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian425 View Post
There is a great write up in this post, see post #24. Air filter replacement how to.
Brian,,Thanks for posting the same clip that I got from Max....as you can see,,this is a royal PITA,,,hopefully with the clip that you posted,,,someone might have the time on their hands and patience to do it themselves,,,me I'll probably let the dealer do it..!