Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:48 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by russpe View Post
It wasn't the 10 lb vibration absorbers integrated into the bumper hangers (tossed them)...
It was the rear bumper hangers/shock absorbers!!!!!!
The one on the drivers side was loose and broken and the one on the passenger side was loose... I bought a used bumper hanger/shock absorber ($50 instead of $150) and proper hardware, removed the useless 10LB vibration absorbers from both bumper hangers, replaced the broken one and tightened the loose one...
I have a faint intermittent tapping in the right rear, related to body movement and not to the suspension, and it might be this.

But the first two sentences are confusing. The OP says was not the "vibration absorbers in the bumper hangers", but it was the "hangers/shock absorbers". It was not, but it was. Which is it?

After looking at photos of other cars showing the hangers/shock absorbers with the bumper off, I think the OP is just saying the bumper hangers were loose on their bolts, and he discarded the rubber covered heavy metal shock/vibration absorbers that are held in the hangers, and he bolted the hangers back on tightly.

Last edited by vintage42; 11-17-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 M Roadster
Hey Vintage42!
That's a great camera angle and exactly where my trouble was located. I notice that your 10 Lb vibration absorber is missing from the right rear bumper mount... I assume you removed it? Anyway, to answer your question (which I may not have stated clearly in my conclusion) my problem was with the bumper mount/shock absorber itself which holds the 10 lb vibration absorbers in addition to connecting the rear bumper to the car. As I said, the bumper hanger (which holds the 10 lb weight) also serves as a shock absorber and compresses and absorbs the shock when impacted, but what I don't know is whether they should be replaced once they've been compressed, say after a rear collision. I think that maybe when the car was new it may have absorbed the shock (impact) without damaging the shock absorber but after time it degraded (just my opinion) and lost it's resilience or possibly it could depend on the intensity of the collision. Now, this isn't to say that this is "your" issue but it could be. In my case the shock absorber was clearly loose and wobbled when I pulled up and down on it, I also found that the rubber bushings holding the 10 lb weights were dry rotted but rather than replace them, I removed them completely. I read in another post that others had done the same thing with no "obvious" negative effects. A replacement bumper hanger/shock absorber runs about $150 or so (without the 10 lb weight) but I bought one used for about $50 and it was in good condition. Hope this clears thing up. Good luck and please post what you find.