Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW-I wish
X3 Longevity?

Hello all,
I am new here and have never owned a BMW. Due to a death in the family, I have the opportunity to purchase a 2013 X3 for one third the purchase price. This X3 was built by my relative and picked up from the dealer in November. It currently has around 4000 miles on it.
This X3 has the six cylinder turbo engine and eight speed automatic transmission.

My question: How many trouble free miles can I expect from this vehicle? Will it realistically go to 300,000 miles with little or no problems as long as proper maintenance and care are given to the vehicle?

I have always wanted a BMW and plan on keeping it for a number of years if I go ahead with the purchase. I am looking for opinions/experience from those of you with much more knowledge about these vehicles than myself.

Thank you for any and all input.

T
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
BMWs are not as durable as Toyota or Honda. BMW will have more problems when old, and will cost you more money on each repair. A car will always run to 300,000 as long as your don't mind spending money on it. Some people may say BMWs are also durable, but sorry they just can't compare to japanese cars when it comes to reliability. My 11 years old Toyota Corolla has 230,000 miles: I often forgot about maintenance, I drove it to the last drop of gas and stopped on the road more than 10 times, I didn't stop for bumpers, and it had two big collisions...still running strong, with no repairs more than $300 ( except the $6700 front and $4000 rear collisions, the car itself only cost 16k ).

But BMWs drive better, especially at high speed. BMWs are so much cooler than other brands. Driving a BMW has given me so much joy. Who says you can't buy happiness with money?

Last edited by edbiology; 01-13-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMA View Post
Hello all,
I am new here and have never owned a BMW. Due to a death in the family, I have the opportunity to purchase a 2013 X3 for one third the purchase price. This X3 was built by my relative and picked up from the dealer in November. It currently has around 4000 miles on it.
This X3 has the six cylinder turbo engine and eight speed automatic transmission.

My question: How many trouble free miles can I expect from this vehicle? Will it realistically go to 300,000 miles with little or no problems as long as proper maintenance and care are given to the vehicle?

I have always wanted a BMW and plan on keeping it for a number of years if I go ahead with the purchase. I am looking for opinions/experience from those of you with much more knowledge about these vehicles than myself.

Thank you for any and all input.

T
As with any car, you are generally the responsible party that is going to make that decision. Let's face it -- ALL manufacturers have duds. BMW, Toyota, Honda, VW... To make matters worse you get people who trash their vehicles and then complain about reliability. Japanese cars are very reliable. German cars can also be reliable. YMMV.

German cars generally have a higher TCO. A lot of this is the actual part cost. If you have an outstanding mechanic who can take care of your car outside your warranty, most of the time the parts will cost more than the labor. My 2003 3-series is at 152,000 miles now with little other than oil changes and regular long-term maintenance (water pump, transmission flush, a minor problem with the oil filter housing).

Probably the most important, virtually impossible to measure aspect of the BMW is actually DRIVING THE CAR! It's a fun experience. It's definitely not for the budget conscious. It's also IMO not reproducible in a Japanese car, such as a RAV4, Highlander, CRV, MX-5, etc. It's just a pure joy to drive. Even my 10 year old 3-series is still fun to drive.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW-I wish
Thank you edbiology and zerovector, this is exactly the information I was looking for.

Most likely will end up purchasing the vehicle as it is a great deal and I have always wanted a BMW.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
By all means get the car -- it is a killer deal! If you don't like it after owning it a year or so then you can dump it and get something else and make money. See if you can get the extended warranty after you purchase it (check with your local dealer) that will be transferrable to the next buyer. Oh yes, if you can get the warranty -- then shop different dealers (try 'fest sponsors first) as these are negotiable and you can save money -- and the warranty is obtainable through any authorized BMW dealer.