Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Admin • Owner • Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Question Standard versus Premium Hi-Fi E92 M3?

I am just curious if anyone who has a M3 with the standard stereo could chime in with their impressions. In order to get Premium Sound you have to order the Premium Package (which I don't want). Is the standard audio system decent? Every car I have ever sat in at the dealership has had Premium Sound, so I am counting on real-world observations from you Bimmerfest members.

Thanks!

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 • The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Ads by Google
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E82 & 2012 E93
Jon I had an E82 and my regular hifi sounds just like E93 premium sounds since it had the same equalizer and I could not tell the difference between the two. E82 only came with 10 speakers where M3 comes with 12.
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
I am just curious if anyone who has a M3 with the standard stereo could chime in with their impressions. In order to get Premium Sound you have to order the Premium Package (which I don't want). Is the standard audio system decent? Every car I have ever sat in at the dealership has had Premium Sound, so I am counting on real-world observations from you Bimmerfest members.

Thanks!
Edit: I can see now that BMW is forcing the Individual Audio with the Premium Package for MY2013. It was not like that until this model year.

Individual Audio sounds better than the HiFi, but not $1900 better IMO. I had IA in my 2008 M3 (not ordered, just sitting at the lot), and now I have HiFi in my 2012 M3 (ordered as is), and I found the IA impossible to tune the way I wanted to sound. But most M3 owners seems to like it a lot. I normally dump the OEM sound and go aftermarket, which the HiFi is a much better platform to do that than the IA.

There is a third option, albeit hidden: special request the Logic7 system for about $1000. It does not have any iDrive requirement so it can be installed with the OEM HU if so desired. One forum member in the USA had it approved by BMWNA for his non-iDrive M3, AFAIK.

Logic7 sounds better than both the HiFi and the IA for the money, IMO. You will not get $900 in sound improvement with the IA, but you will get $1000 improvement over the HiFi.

Last edited by Technic; 01-14-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
I did not have the opportunity to order my car and had to pick a car from inventory that was closest to my needs and desires. I had the opportunity to test both systems back to back. I would describe the difference as being one of good vs. better. Although I thought the premium system might be a "must have" - after back to back testing - I was OK with the base system. In the end, I chose an M3 that did not have premium sound and I do not feel especially deprived. Occasionally, passengers have remarked positively about the sound in my car. If given the opportunity, I might still prefer to have the "better" system even though I usually listen to satellite radio which is not known for its fidelity. Moreover, generally, I find the sensual music that my M makes to be addicting and I find myself going for days listening only to M3 song. I would characterize "premium" sound as a desirable but not essential option.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
there's only one choice that matters in this car, and it's completley a matter of preference, DCT or Manual. you'll be shocked at the amount of passion in either direction. make sure you choose wisely.

everything else is secondary. even "single hump" or speed cloth M3s are works of art. if you want to save dough, don't spend it on anything, and you'll be just as happy

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual

Last edited by highyo; 01-14-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
I have the premium audio, it's ok but not more. I haven't tested the base system but I would think it's below the standard you want in this car. If I have these three in a BMW I never miss anything: the sports options, cold weather package and premium audio. The rest is nice but not important to me. The premium audio is a bit over priced but I didn't want to go aftermarket so there wasn't much choice since I didn't know of the L7.

What color is that in your sig? Is it a special order TiAg? It would have been my first choice if it was a standard color. Or is it mineral white?

Last edited by solstice; 01-14-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
there's only one choice that matters in this car, and it's completley a matter of preference, DCT or Manual. you'll be shocked at the amount of passion in either direction. make sure you choose wisely.

everything else is secondary. even "single hump" or speed cloth M3s are works of art. if you want to save dough, don't spend it on anything, and you'll be just as happy

Thanks for all of the follow-ups. I am not familiar with the E92 M3-specific lingo yet.

What is "single hump"? No nav? Speed cloth is the cloth/leather seating?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Thanks for all of the follow-ups. I am not familiar with the E92 M3-specific lingo yet.

What is "single hump"? No nav? Speed cloth is the cloth/leather seating?

No nav = single scoop

Speed Cloth = M3 standard upholstery = Novillo leather/cloth seats, cloth panels
Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
I have the enhanced audio system and it sounds very nice. Given the option over regular I'm not sure it is worth $1,900 (or whatever it lists at these days).

Normally I'm listening to station S65B40 anyways.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post

+1 except my only must have - "Competition Package"
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

How is the cloth/leather combo in person? I was actually considering it, mostly because it would be "different" not "cheaper". I've been driving an E36 M3 for almost a decade, and my spartan configuration reflects my desire to keep the new car similar to it (without all of the modern gadgetry). Is the cloth/leather attractive in person? The leather on my M3 Vaders resembles Beef Jerky nowadays after 14 years of baking in the sun. Cloth would not be prone to that, though the side bolsters would likely become equally trashed. One of the main reasons I don't want the Premium Package is that I want manual seats. Not one of these items Prem Pkg elements interests me although I did add the PDC to help me keep the rear bumper from getting chingered up.

• Power folding auto dimming mirrors - why? Cool, but I've never needed to fold my current M3's mirrors
• Power rear sunshade - maybe, but I am getting tint.
• Real Time Traffic Information - why? I live in Santa Barbara...
• Voice-command - why?
• Interior mirror with compass - seriously????
• Power front seats with driver seat memory - once my seat is set, that's it. Nobody but me will be driving my new M3. Manual seats save weight.
• Online Information Services - why? I have a smartphone.
• Park Distance Control (rear only) -- o.k.
• Comfort Access keyless entry - my wife likes it on her 335i. Doesn't have to fumble through her purse to get her keys...
• Universal garage-door opener - my boat lives in my garage.
• Navigation system -- again, why? Unnecessary for me.

I would pay extra for the Premium Sound if I didn't have to pay an extra $4,350 for all of this that I don't want or need.

Anyway, attached is a copy of my build. I am a little worried ordering the Silver/Black/Black interior having never seen it before. Has anyone seen it in person, and if so, care to share your opinion?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mmm3.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	357748  

Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
How is the cloth/leather combo in person? I was actually considering it, mostly because it would be "different" not "cheaper". I've been driving an E36 M3 for almost a decade, and my spartan configuration reflects my desire to keep the new car similar to it (without all of the modern gadgetry). Is the cloth/leather attractive in person? The leather on my M3 Vaders resembles Beef Jerky nowadays after 14 years of baking in the sun. Cloth would not be prone to that, though the side bolsters would likely become equally trashed. One of the main reasons I don't want the Premium Package is that I want manual seats. Not one of these items Prem Pkg elements interests me although I did add the PDC to help me keep the rear bumper from getting chingered up.

• Power folding auto dimming mirrors - why? Cool, but I've never needed to fold my current M3's mirrors
• Voice-command - why?
• Power front seats with driver seat memory - once my seat is set, that's it. Nobody but me will be driving my new M3. Manual seats save weight.
• Comfort Access keyless entry - my wife likes it on her 335i. Doesn't have to fumble through her purse to get her keys...

I would pay extra for the Premium Sound if I didn't have to pay an extra $4,350 for all of this that I don't want or need.

Anyway, attached is a copy of my build. I am a little worried ordering the Silver/Black/Black interior having never seen it before. Has anyone seen it in person, and if so, care to share your opinion?

Palladium/black looks very nice.

I would add the Logic7 system, though... you should know how to make it happen. You will appreciate the clarity and volume over the HiFi.

Personally, I do not like the Speed cloth. Look cheap to me, especially after BMW added more cloth and took away some leather from it. But if this is going to be a car to be taken to the track often, and a long termer (as in 5+ years or ownership) then I would get it with Speed cloth. Novillo leather starts looking tired at the ~3 years mark, regardless of care. It is slightly less resilient than Nappa in my experience.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 ZCP
I agree with palladium/black as a nice combo, especially if you are set on a black interior. Having some contrast is a good thing, as I think that black/black is way too boring (given the othoptions available)

Can't you still add comfort access as a standalone option? If it was up to me I'd rather have that than PDC (or in addition to)

Edit: I will add, I had a chance to listen to the standard m3 stereo for the first time about a week ago. I was NOT impressed. Very little in the way of bass/midrange. Logic 7 (if available) or the EPS system would be money well spent.

Last edited by letuz; 01-15-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzutel View Post
I agree with palladium/black as a nice combo, especially if you are set on a black interior. Having some contrast is a good thing, as I think that black/black is way too boring (given the othoptions available)

Can't you still add comfort access as a standalone option? If it was up to me I'd rather have that than PDC (or in addition to)

Edit: I will add, I had a chance to listen to the standard m3 stereo for the first time about a week ago. I was NOT impressed. Very little in the way of bass/midrange. Logic 7 (if available) or the EPS system would be money well spent.

If I decide to add Nav (I am still on the fence), would that rule out/preclude Logic 7?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
I vote for this color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358269360.882293.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	357802  

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 21013 M3
Can you add the Logic 7 after the car is delivered? My only disappointment of my M3 is stereo.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP '96 318Ti
I also didn't get the upgrade because it would have required the NAV/idrive. In back to back test drives, I thought the upgraded system was a whole lot better. My advice, is to spend the money on an exhaust instead. Since adding the Perf exhaust, I rarely turn on the radio.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM
EX-NSX

Mein Auto: 2013 Carrera S
It is better, but $1900 is a big number.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 ZCP/2011 E90
Quote:

• Voice-command - why?

Personally I think the Speed Cloth is what makes my car. It keeps the cabin looking very sporty. I originally conf with black Novillo leather but switched speed cloth once I saw it in a photo on this forum. When I picked my car up this Saturday it's the first thing i went for and it's amazing. I love it!!
To answer your original question, I have the standard audio and I must say it's light years ahead of the standard system I had in my 10 E92 335 and my wifes 11 328. I say use the $1900 to add something else.

Last edited by wynnws7; 01-15-2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: To add content
Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Well, you guys were right. I spoke to the guy who handles special orders in the Western Region and he confirmed that there is indeed a stereo system option that does not appear in the brochures, ordering guides, etc. He didn't know all of the details so he is checking with New Jersey for me. Am I correct, is this other option not compatible with Navigation?

This to me is why the forums are so magical. When you add up the collected experience of all of the members, the knowledge and wisdom exceeds not only of what most dealers know, but also factory folks. Amazing. I should spend more time lurking and learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnws7 View Post
Personally I think the Speed Cloth is what makes my car. It keeps the cabin looking very sporty. I originally conf with black Novillo leather but switched speed cloth once I saw it in a photo on this forum. When I picked my car up this Saturday it's the first thing i went for and it's amazing. I love it!!
Can you do me a huge favor and post some photos of your interior? My first choice originally was the cloth, but I chickened out when I saw a few (low-res) photos where it didn't look so good...

Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Well, you guys were right. I spoke to the guy who handles special orders in the Western Region and he confirmed that there is indeed a stereo system option that does not appear in the brochures, ordering guides, etc. He didn't know all of the details so he is checking with New Jersey for me. Am I correct, is this other option not compatible with Navigation?

This to me is why the forums are so magical. When you add up the collected experience of all of the members, the knowledge and wisdom exceeds not only of what most dealers know, but also factory folks. Amazing. I should spend more time lurking and learning...
Code is SA677 and it is available regardless of Navigation by special order. Enhanced Premium Audio is SA752.

One thing about adding Navigation is that it includes a better Bluetooth/USB interface than the non-Navigation setup. The Bluetooth is dual channel (two phones paired at the same time, both can receive calls via the iDrive but only one can make calls, Bluetooth Audio, Album Art display, BMW Office and the USB is fully compatible with Apple's white USB cable- no need for the OEM iPod cable).

None of that is available with the OEM HU.

Last edited by Technic; 01-15-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Elrond View Post
Can you add the Logic 7 after the car is delivered? My only disappointment of my M3 is stereo.
No.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Code is SA677 and it is available regardless of Navigation by special order. Enhanced Premium Audio is SA752.

One thing about adding Navigation is that it includes a better Bluetooth/USB interface than the non-Navigation setup. The Bluetooth is dual channel (two phones paired at the same time, both can receive calls via the iDrive but only one can make calls, Bluetooth Audio, Album Art display, BMW Office and the USB is fully compatible with Apple's white USB cable- no need for the OEM iPod cable).

None of that is available with the OEM HU.
Wow, SA677 is probably HK (Harman Kardon). As I recall even going back to E36 M3, the code for Premium Sound was 677.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Wow, SA677 is probably HK (Harman Kardon). As I recall even going back to E36 M3, the code for Premium Sound was 677.
Yes, it is... Logic7 = Harman Kardon
Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
I have the enhanced audio system and it sounds very nice. Given the option over regular I'm not sure it is worth $1,900 (or whatever it lists at these days).

Normally I'm listening to station S65B40 anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.