Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 & BMW 325i E30
Stuck while changing rear bearing on my E46

Dear all, I need some help. I am new to this forum and I do not know where to start. I jacked up the e46 ci and I replaced the the rear left bearing. Straightforward I thought since I have changed all four bearings on my E39. One difference though. In the E46 Ci I had to remove the CV half axel from the diff in order to pass throught the bearing extractor. That was fine, no problem. Many videos on youtube directed me and so far so good. When everything was ready, I tried to insert the axle cv end to the bearing hub which I did but the threaded end just stopped sort from coming up the other end which meets the nut. Just short and it does not move. Please is anybody able to help me? Have I done anything wrong? Does the axle have a guide which I have overlooked and it stops short from meeting even the first thread of the nut? Please help the car is up and I am going away in a few days Please help

Last edited by ElGreko; 01-14-2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: additional information
Ads by Google
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGreko View Post
Dear all, I need some help. I am new to this forum and I do not know where to start. I jacked up the e46 ci and I replaced the the rear left bearing. Straightforward I thought since I have changed all four bearings on my E39. One difference though. In the E46 Ci I had to remove the CV half axel from the diff in order to pass throught the bearing extractor. That was fine, no problem. Many videos on youtube directed me and so far so good. When everything was ready, I tried to insert the axle cv end to the bearing hub which I did but the threaded end just stopped sort from coming up the other end which meets the nut. Just short and it does not move. Please is anybody able to help me? Have I done anything wrong? Does the axle have a guide which I have overlooked and it stops short from meeting even the first thread of the nut? Please help the car is up and I am going away in a few days Please help
Take a wire brush and some WD40 and clean the splines on the axle. Then take a tooth brush or smaller brush and clean the splines inside the hub itself. Should make inserting the axle smooth as silk.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 AM

Dear smolck, thank very much for your replay. I have taking the axle out twice and all my body aches (I am not young anymore). To take the axle out requires a lot of effort. I am glad at least that I have not overlooked anything and I hope is only dirt I have to remove. I have cleanned it once but I do not think I did a good job. I will follow your instructions tomorrow and God help me. I realy appreciate your replay.

cheers
Dennis
Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGreko View Post
Dear smolck, thank very much for your replay. I have taking the axle out twice and all my body aches (I am not young anymore). To take the axle out requires a lot of effort. I am glad at least that I have not overlooked anything and I hope is only dirt I have to remove. I have cleanned it once but I do not think I did a good job. I will follow your instructions tomorrow and God help me. I realy appreciate your replay.

cheers
Dennis
Just an update. I cleanned the axle well with WD40 and brushed the hub after taking the axle completely out of the vehicle. Since I had the clearance from inside the hub I decided to use the the bearing tools to tighten up the already inserted hub (I had just knocked it with the hummer). To my surprise the hub moved easily a few more mm which unable me to fit the axle nicely and access the first mm of the tip. After that all was easy. I screw the nut and I was able to complete the job.

Cheers