Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #401  
Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 AM
mynycbimmer mynycbimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
I have to disagree with you. First of all, BMWs haven't always been about luxury. As to performance, I think that there are plenty of people who want the driver's "feel" that a BMW gives, especially if all you add is the sport package. There are a lot of driving enthusiasts who are not as concerned about straight ahead acceleration, but love the way a BMW "rides the rails" when cornering. They may also love the seats, steering wheel, love the dash display, love the "in the cockpit feel" that the F30 brings. These are things that an Accord or a Camry can never provide. The badge is secondary. I've owned a fully optioned Accord. It's fine transportation to get you from point A to point B. But, with front wheel drive, a steering wheel with no grip, and seats that won't hold you in place while cornering, it's no BMW. Not even a 320i.
.
Driving enthusiasts are a very small minority of buyers. Someone posted that the average BMW buyer was 48 years old. Seems high to me but, if true, at that age I would imagine comfort is a higher priority than being able to "ride the rails".
Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,913
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Can a car feel more planted when there is too much body roll?
Answer; no.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,309
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Can a car feel more planted when there is too much body roll?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Answer; no.
By "planted" I mean that the 4 wheels are sticking like glue, not even close to a skid or loss of control. My Luxury line on the standard suspension is 100% 'planted' by that definition. No different than my E90.

But the body that sits atop that suspension, different. My E90 didn't lean where the F30 does.

I'm not an enthusiast, never even added washer fluid to my car, don't even know where the hood release on the car is, but methinks that something connecting the two bodies to the two suspensions is different and that's why both are equally planted/grippy at the wheels but behave differently at the seats.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-19-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 01-19-2013, 08:48 AM
PK2348 PK2348 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 489
Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I'm not an enthusiast, never even added washer fluid to my car, don't even know where the hood release on the car is,

BJ
i think we can tell
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,309
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
i think we can tell
Until you apologize for your rude behavior last week, you and I don't speak.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 AM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
By "planted" I mean that the 4 wheels are sticking like glue, not even close to a skid or loss of control.

BJ
When driving no more tham speed limit, all cars, even with the most crappy tires, should be planted. I think this is how speed limit is designed on the public road
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 AM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,948
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
By "planted" I mean that the 4 wheels are sticking like glue, not even close to a skid or loss of control. My Luxury line on the standard suspension is 100% 'planted' by that definition. No different than my E90.

But the body that sits atop that suspension, different. My E90 didn't lean where the F30 does.

I'm not an enthusiast, never even added washer fluid to my car, don't even know where the hood release on the car is, but methinks that something connecting the two bodies to the two suspensions is different and that's why both are equally planted/grippy at the wheels but behave differently at the seats.
"Planted" probably means different things to different people...to me planted means the car is super steady, so much that it inspires confidence that it can be pushed, and that, I feel is missing from the standard suspension in the F30. I agree, that once the car is pushed, it is super sticky, but so is A4 and the the C class (from my test drives). The difference with my E46 (and from my drives of the E90) is that it inspires confidence in a way which the base F30 does not.
__________________

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM
mdsbuc's Avatar
mdsbuc mdsbuc is offline
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
Location: Tampa Bay
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,570
Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynycbimmer View Post
Driving enthusiasts are a very small minority of buyers. Someone posted that the average BMW buyer was 48 years old. Seems high to me but, if true, at that age I would imagine comfort is a higher priority than being able to "ride the rails".
The point is that I don't believe that the 320 is "just targeting brand conscious buyers." There will be plenty of others buying because they will actually like the car, for a variety of reasons.....
I'd be offended if the 320i was my choice for a car and I was looked upon as essentially a "brand whore."
__________________
.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers


2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:58 AM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,948
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
The point is that I don't believe that the 320 is "just targeting brand conscious buyers." There will be plenty of others buying because they will actually like the car, for a variety of reasons.....
I'd be offended if the 320i was my choice for a car and I was looked upon as essentially a "brand whore."
The average person is going to look at you at a "badge whore" because the car has the badge on it and cars just don't matter enough to them to pay twice what a regular car costs.
__________________

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
PK2348 PK2348 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 489
Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Until you apologize for your rude behavior last week, you and I don't speak.

BJ
ohhhhhh, i hope i did not make you cry. seriously though, despite your posts being condescending, obnoxious and extremely shallow, they are very entertaining to read. Now, while you're waiting for me to apologize, why dont you test drive a lexus? it has perfect driving characteristics for your taste
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 AM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,741
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
ohhhhhh, i hope i did not make you cry. seriously though, despite your posts being condescending, obnoxious and extremely shallow, they are very entertaining to read. Now, while you're waiting for me to apologize, why dont you test drive a lexus? it has perfect driving characteristics for your taste
__________________
F30 335 Estoril Blue Msport with performance exhasut and black grilles
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 AM
krash's Avatar
krash krash is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,703
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
"Planted" probably means different things to different people...to me planted means the car is super steady, so much that it inspires confidence that it can be pushed, and that, I feel is missing from the standard suspension in the F30. I agree, that once the car is pushed, it is super sticky, but so is A4 and the the C class (from my test drives). The difference with my E46 (and from my drives of the E90) is that it inspires confidence in a way which the base F30 does not.
DHP, the Sport line or both solve that problem.
__________________
2013 335i: Sport Line, Premium, Technology, DHP, HK, 8 Speed Sport w/Paddles, Heated Seats, PDC, Camera
2004 330ci: zhp, Premium, Dinan upgrades (various)
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,913
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
"Planted" probably means different things to different people...
Specially for people who never drive their car above 7/10 of its potential.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,948
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
DHP, the Sport line or both solve that problem.
Don't know about DHP because I haven't driven it, but sports line definitely feels better in that respect.
__________________

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,948
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Specially for people who never drive their car above 7/10 of its potential.
I don't about that...I feel it even when simply cruising at highway speeds.
__________________

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 PM
pony_trekker pony_trekker is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,239
Mein Auto: 5
Okay comparing to E92 xdrive -- if I am looking at the F30 sedan do I need

1. Sports line
2. DHP
3. Both?

Heaven forbid I could find one to test drive.
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old 01-19-2013, 04:03 PM
PK2348 PK2348 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 489
Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Okay comparing to E92 xdrive -- if I am looking at the F30 sedan do I need

1. Sports line
2. DHP
3. Both?

Heaven forbid I could find one to test drive.
I think DHP is worth every penny. Really, the best option you can add, unless you're planning to mod suspension later. Keep in mind if F30 is an xdrive you will not get sport suspension with sport line, so for xdrive dhp is a must. sport line is worth it for the seats, steering wheel and nicer rims
Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old 01-19-2013, 04:38 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,309
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
ohhhhhh, i hope i did not make you cry. seriously though, despite your posts being condescending, obnoxious and extremely shallow, they are very entertaining to read. Now, while you're waiting for me to apologize, why dont you test drive a lexus? it has perfect driving characteristics for your taste
I am not the person you think I am. Nobody that knows me would describe me as condescending, obnoxious, or shallow. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Just the other day in my F30 on the drive to the office, I saw a homeless man walking in traffic freezing with a paper cup asking for money. I put down the window, asked him not to touch the car, reached into my Tumi folio, found some loose change, pulled out the quarters, and gave him the rest. Must've been $.13 or so in assorted nickels, dimes, and pennies.

Apologize or don't respond to me again.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #419  
Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM
pony_trekker pony_trekker is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,239
Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
I think DHP is worth every penny. Really, the best option you can add, unless you're planning to mod suspension later. Keep in mind if F30 is an xdrive you will not get sport suspension with sport line, so for xdrive dhp is a must. sport line is worth it for the seats, steering wheel and nicer rims
So for suspension I might as well opt for modern line w DHP instead of sports line for x drive. I like the modern line rims better.

Last edited by pony_trekker; 01-19-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,913
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I am not the person you think I am. Nobody that knows me would describe me as condescending, obnoxious, or shallow. Quite the opposite, in fact.
...
Apologize or don't respond to me again.

BJ
Your last sentence proves him right (and you wrong).
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Reply With Quote
  #421  
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,948
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
So for suspension I might as well opt for modern line w DHP instead of sports line for x drive. I like the modern line rims better.
The only material reason to get sport with xdrive are the seats. If you don't care about that, then you can pick the line based on other things like interior/exterior trim and color.
__________________

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 PM
PK2348 PK2348 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 489
Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
So for suspension I might as well opt for modern line w DHP instead of sports line for x drive. I like the modern line rims better.
yes, if you like modern interior, a lot of people are not crazy about it, but its a personal choice. I drove one and did not like it. Now sport seats are really worth it though. Can you get sport xdrive with DHP and swap for modern rims?
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 01-19-2013, 05:59 PM
pony_trekker pony_trekker is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,239
Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
yes, if you like modern interior, a lot of people are not crazy about it, but its a personal choice. I drove one and did not like it. Now sport seats are really worth it though. Can you get sport xdrive with DHP and swap for modern rims?
We'll see. My lease ends in NOV I will try to drive as many as I can. Rims could change though.

I like my steering tight.

Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,948
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
We'll see. My lease ends in NOV I will try to drive as many as I can. Rims could change though.

I like my steering tight.
One more thing -- if you're going with auto, sport auto and paddles are only available on sport line.
__________________

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars

Last edited by mr_clueless; 01-20-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:42 AM
shabadoo25 shabadoo25 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 238
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
When driving no more tham speed limit, all cars, even with the most crappy tires, should be planted. I think this is how speed limit is designed on the public road
Try driving a Sonata or an Optima and then report back on that.
__________________
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2013 320i, 320i f30, 320i for the us, 4 cyclinder bmw, bmw, bmw forum, bmw news, f30 320i, f30 forum, f30 sedan, f30post


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms