Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
w5lx: Thank you very much! Yeah, best automotive decision I made was coming over to the dark side! .... though, the literal "dark" part (paint), I'm still trying to get the hang of, been pretty stressful so far, but I'm learning a lot and soon will have the hang of it (keeping black as streak-free as possible and having a formula to do so). As far as looks, ah man you are so right, especially at night or low light, this car in this color is such a great visual! I'll get the model of the camera and post it here when I get home from being out of town for sure.

And thank you, Bruce!

On a crap note, I got my first ticket, already (speeding). Something about BMW just makes me get maniac-ish behind the wheel. This particular drivetrain, the peppiness of the N55, the 8spd with SAT, it just begs to be driven hard. Maybe it was for the best. Costly, but maybe it's a sign to calm down or else I might get into some REAL trouble.

Ordered: Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350 "Sport", '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535Xi M Sport
Where did you get pegged at?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHomie View Post
Where did you get pegged at?
L.A highway. Big time ducks sucks.

Edit: LOL was supposed to just write "sucks" but Phone did something weird. Duck sucks definitely will apply.

Last edited by K-A; 02-01-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Dark Knight

BTW, did you guys ever realize that the two "air ducts" on the side of the M Sport bumper are actually FUNCTIONAL? Where do they lead to? (brakes, I'm guessing?).

That is so AWESOME to me, as my M-B's always had cheap plastic honeycomb "grilles" that actually weren't even real honeycomb, they were closed up but "looked like honeycomb patterns".

At this point, all these attention-to-detail tidbits I see from this car that Mercedes lacked, I don't think the two are even comparable at this point.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Dark Knight

Some new pics. Finally got a REAL Paint Correction, no more holograms and swirls. The paint truly looks stunning!

Last edited by K-A; 02-11-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Mr Real Estate

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i Xdrive
Sweet. Had a detail shop do it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNY View Post
Sweet. Had a detail shop do it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Yeah a REAL detailer. Not some carwash BS that screwed my car up. I've spent so much on "correcting" this paint (of which the first did more damage than good, hence the buildup), but I've learned a lot.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait for my jet black to be in my hands in a few weeks.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM
cor door sedan

What tint % is that? I've got 20 on my E60 but still trying to decide if I'll put 20 or 35 on the F10 when it arrives. 20 is great during the day, a bit of a liability at night (but I'm getting blind spot detect so that's why I'm on the fence).
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait for my jet black to be in my hands in a few weeks.
Why thank you! Oh man, you're in for a treat! And maybe some insanity, but well worth it.... I think.

I think I got 5% in the back and 15 or 20% on the front two. All I know is I got the darkest shade they had available in the rears, and the second-to-darkest shade they had on the fronts (I'm assuming 15% or 20%).

It looks awesome on the jet black, everything blends so seamlessly with the different black shades (Jet Black, Shadowline and the Tints) which are so subtly different which makes things interesting, yet so obviously similar (flat black) that the car looks so clean and undisturbed from the side.

It is really dark though, especially on a black interior/black exterior car. Without the parking sensors and rearview camera on this car I'd be incapable I think, lol.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Beautiful car. Looks great. Are you in a state that doesn't require a front license plate? The front end looks nice and clean without one.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
paint correction? What'd you have done?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Very sexy car!!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App
Old 02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Dark Knight

Thanks for the compliments!

w5lx: Actually it does require a front plate, I just can't get myself to put one on.

Kar Don: Yeah, it was clayed, polished buffed, sealed, all that good stuff. This time fortunately from a guy who cared a lot about his work and not some crap wash who I had the mistake of taking it to before. If anyone wants his info PM me!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post

w5lx: Actually it does require a front plate, I just can't get myself to put one on.
Ditto... Well I left my European plates on... It's that or nothing...lol

K-A .... Opticoat?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:

Kar Don: Yeah, it was clayed, polished buffed, sealed, all that good stuff. This time fortunately from a guy who cared a lot about his work and not some crap wash who I had the mistake of taking it to before. If anyone wants his info PM me!
PM me, I'm interested in getting it done... white M3 vert.

Like you, I also dumped my W212 last week. Just got into an ActiveHybrid 7.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Dark Knight

Miami: I TOTALLY want a Euro plate! Haha. They actually look pretty good on the front, and awesome on the back. On the back, though, it'd unfortunately be a huge Cop magnet, I'd think. Unfortunately, no Opticoat. Reason being it costed almost double of what I had done, and the guy who did my car (not sure about posting rules of people's info so I'll stick to PM for interested recommendations) came really recommended and I didn't wanna chance it this time.

Kar Don: PM coming! DAMN! That's an awesome upgrade! A 7 with some MPG efficiency, kinda having your cake and eating it too.

Funny, I really don't miss my W212's at all. I really thought I would. I missed the super dynamic front of my particular one (with some mods) for a bit, but now my Bimmer's has more than made me forget about it. Oddly enough, the M-B I miss the most is my old W211 in Pewter with AMG Package. Such a unique setup that car was, and something so timelessly elegant about the W211. Funnily enough, I like the F10's aesthetic in a similar way I did my W211, i.e: Simple, timeless, curvy edges, smooth, elegant yet sporty, devoid of gimmicks. I always said I felt the F10 was almost a spiritual aesthetic successor to the W211 more than the W212 was (W212 kind of wanted to be the E60 of its time, in terms of fussier/more angular approach).

Took some others today before the car got too dusty (already totally dusty) to benefit from the fresh detail. These are taken with a Phone camera (previous ones were with a Nikon Digicam), and have no filter at all (just played around with flash/non flash in the parking lot). Under the fluorescents you can really see how smooth the paint is now:

Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Paint correction is expensive, so people balk, but once you've seen it done properly, it's amazing how bad paint is (from the factory even!).

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Serious About Shine

Send a message via Yahoo to bighungry618
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Paint correction is expensive, so people balk, but once you've seen it done properly, it's amazing how bad paint is (from the factory even!).
Indeed.

"IRENE" = 2011 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Dakota, Premium, Cold
Mods:
JB4 Stage 2, Black Grille Surrounds, Black Fender Signal Trim, Body color front / rear reflectors and rear diffuser, DeBadged, 20% LLumar ATR premium tint.
To keep your car looking its very best:
Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 AM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Took some others today before the car got too dusty
Get a California Car Duster:

http://www.californiacardusters.com/...carduster.html

It is a fantastic product.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Get a duster but also do what I do and just leave it in the garage and only drive it once a week (SOMEONE MIGHT DING IT!). This is why haven't bought a brand new car in 12 years....paranoia....at least if it has a few scuffs and marks I won't feel bad about flogging it more.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Get a duster but also do what I do and just leave it in the garage and only drive it once a week.
I bought the duster because dust collected on the vehicle just sitting in my garage With the duster, a quick swipe down brings it back to washed condition before taking her out.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550 Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Get a California Car Duster:

http://www.californiacardusters.com/...carduster.html

It is a fantastic product.
The California duster will put swirls back into the paint. I would not recommend this at all. Instead, get some high quality quick detailer like Chemical Guys V7 and some good microfiber towels. Always be sure to use a clean part of the towel for each swipe on the paint.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM
cor door sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
The California duster will put swirls back into the paint. I would not recommend this at all. Instead, get some high quality quick detailer like Chemical Guys V7 and some good microfiber towels. Always be sure to use a clean part of the towel for each swipe on the paint.
Hmm. I've tried both. The California Duster seems to pick the dust up off the paint more quickly than microfiber towels. That is to say, the CD seems to require less friction to pick up the dust over a microfiber towel.

But now I will definitely double-check this before the F10 arrives

Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Get a duster but also do what I do and just leave it in the garage and only drive it once a week (SOMEONE MIGHT DING IT!). This is why haven't bought a brand new car in 12 years....paranoia....at least if it has a few scuffs and marks I won't feel bad about flogging it more.
Haha. I totally understand that. My happiest days with my E-Class were the last few months I didn't give a crap about it. Before that I was much happier about the car, but that made me so anal I was constantly stressing about something regarding it.

Now that's happening to my F10. But you're right, especially with a kind of extremist mentality like my own, when I "let something go", I can use and abuse it as a purely functional tool/appliance. However, when I care for it, I'm just so meticulous to the point where I can't figure out whether it's giving me more pain or joy, lol.

As for the Car Duster, I've been a huge advocate for it, and have one in my trunk. But have been advised by now a few Detailer pro's to not let it touch my paint. It worked fine on my white cars and such, but apparently Jet Black is too sensitive (and black) for it. It's very saddening as that thing would prolong my washes for days when I had my car mostly sitting in the garage, and with black showing dust so soon, I've been looking forward to using it to make my washes last longer.

I bought some SUPER PLUSH Microfibers yesterday, which I plan to use as the ones that will touch my paint when I wash. I thought the Microfibers I was using before were plush, until I got these.

Last edited by K-A; 02-13-2013 at 02:31 PM.