Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
It's not a website problem. The allocation process assigns a color to the car so that if it isn't allocated to a special order customer it gets built and shipped to the dealer that way. Think of it this way: you have intercepted a car that was supposed to be made differently. Your dealer has to input all of the new information to override what was already there for that particular allocation. Once your new detail is in the system it will update on the BMW website.

But big picture, know this: the BMW tracking website is awful. It's always behind, it lacks good detail. What you need is the BMW telephone number which you can call 24 hours a day and learn the true status of your build.

Call: (800) 831-1117 Say "Vehicle Production Status" when prompted.

BJ

AAAAAHHHH

I called this number, entered my production number and it said its scheduled for production with no set production date. I talked to a representative and he told me the same thing. The dealer hasn't responded to me yet... What should I do...
Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
The info on this link (http://www.forums.bimmerfest.com/sho...hp?p=4383536#1) is about four years old but still valid for tracking your order - helped me with the anticipation/anxiety complex we all experience while waiting for "the baby" to be delivered!
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
AAAAAHHHH

I called this number, entered my production number and it said its scheduled for production with no set production date. I talked to a representative and he told me the same thing. The dealer hasn't responded to me yet... What should I do...
Call other dealers in your area immediately, see what allocation spots they currently have open.

If they can give you an allocation with a production of, say, next week at the same or lower price as your original deal, take it. You don't have any responsibility to your dealer at all until the car arrives from overseas. You don't lose any money here. If anything, finding another car at another dealer will give your current dealer the kick in the ass he needs to do right by you. The bigger the dealership, the more allocations they get. Perhaps you're with a small-time dealer and he's just pushing you out. You shouldn't stand for that.

My friend in SoCal that had this happen to him wound up having two of the identical car arrive from two different dealers two weeks apart. He took the one that came in first, cancelled the other order, done. When I ordered my E93 years back, my dealer had an allocation that was going into production the next day, literally took my order and sent it to Germany and within 20 hours my car was being assembled.

Waiting around for your dealer to get your car produced is wrong. Be aggressive, force the issue with him or another dealer. It's how it's played.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Call other dealers in your area immediately, see what allocation spots they currently have open.

If they can give you an allocation with a production of, say, next week at the same or lower price as your original deal, take it. You don't have any responsibility to your dealer at all until the car arrives from overseas. You don't lose any money here. If anything, finding another car at another dealer will give your current dealer the kick in the ass he needs to do right by you. The bigger the dealership, the more allocations they get. Perhaps you're with a small-time dealer and he's just pushing you out. You shouldn't stand for that.

My friend in SoCal that had this happen to him wound up having two of the identical car arrive from two different dealers two weeks apart. He took the one that came in first, cancelled the other order, done. When I ordered my E93 years back, my dealer had an allocation that was going into production the next day, literally took my order and sent it to Germany and within 20 hours my car was being assembled.

Waiting around for your dealer to get your car produced is wrong. Be aggressive, force the issue with him or another dealer. It's how it's played.

BJ
BJ,

Thank you very much for your helpful responses every time. I really appreciate it.

The dealer got back to me yesterday and confirmed that I'm scheduled for week 4 of January.

Unfortunately, there is no good local dealer to my knowledge. I was actually working with one prior to the current one and that dealership kept delaying my order, giving me bs that my order can't go through because of hurricane Sandy weeks after the day the CA said he'd order for me.

I have no problem being aggressive at dealerships. One guy at the finance department of the prior dealership kept giving me bs numbers for my lease so I confronted him with pen and paper that this is how I calculate the lease numbers. He couldn't disprove my numbers but the next time I went, the finance guy gave me phony numbers again so I literally told the him to go f*** himself.

The new dealer I found is an out of state bimmerfest sponsor. He has been extremely helpful. We've exchanged over 100 emails in a matter of few weeks and he has always promptly responded to my emails even on Friday nights and Sunday mornings. (He would usually respond within 15 minutes no matter what time of the week I send him an email.) I was planning on writing a good review of him on bimmerfest once we finalize the deal.

When I called the BMW number you gave me, the automated system said my vehicle didn't have a set schedule and the live representative told me the same thing. I demanded my dealer an answer as to why it's taking so long and to find out when the schedule is and he has responded to me yesterday evening that it is scheduled for week 4. I suspect it wasn't scheduled until yesterday and he had to call BMW to set one up. (Is that possible?)

Perhaps I've been less demanding of my production schedule than I should have been largely because I wasn't aware until you told me yesterday, that dealers actually have some control over and have knowledge of the allocation of production schedules. If you hadn't told me that yesterday, who knows, it could have been another month from now for my unscheduled vehicle to finally go into production. However, since you gave me such valuable information, I called my dealer and demanded a schedule so it seems to be all working out for now.

I will let you know if and when my car enters production (hopefully next week as the dealer told me). Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
BJ,

Thank you very much for your helpful responses every time. I really appreciate it.

The dealer got back to me yesterday and confirmed that I'm scheduled for week 4 of January.

Perhaps I've been less demanding of my production schedule than I should have been largely because I wasn't aware until you told me yesterday, that dealers actually have some control over and have knowledge of the allocation of production schedules. If you hadn't told me that yesterday, who knows, it could have been another month from now for my unscheduled vehicle to finally go into production. However, since you gave me such valuable information, I called my dealer and demanded a schedule so it seems to be all working out for now.

I will let you know if and when my car enters production (hopefully next week as the dealer told me). Thanks again.
First off, Week 4 January is next week so sounds like your issue is now solved (as best it can be at this point).

It's possible that you're in the same allocation with a coincidental date or its possible that he heard your frustration finally and bumped someone else's allocation to become yours. If he gave you an allocation number last month you can compare it with the allocation number of the Week 4 vehicle to confirm.

As others have said, you need to get a copy of the window sticker or VIR as a PDF from your dealer to confirm all the options you wanted on your configuration is there.

IMPORTANT: Is your car coming from Germany or South Africa? My friend in SoCal was originally in a SA vehicle and by switching to the German vehicle it saved him 2-3 weeks of additional waiting. Forgetting quality, if you're concerned about production time and shipping speed, you want a German car. Make sure that the allocation you have been given states that.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
This is what I can now see on bmwusa.com when I go to tracking. All info seems correct, do you think I should still get the VIR and window sticker from my CA? KK I hope your tracking screen will look like this soon too - it looks like you should expect to see this Tuesday/Wednesday next week. The website seems to have a day or two delay vs the phone system. One thing that makes me wonder is why it says Performance Summer Tires and All Season Tires below that. Am I getting two sets of tires?

Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
This is what I can now see on bmwusa.com when I go to tracking. All info seems correct, do you think I should still get the VIR and window sticker from my CA? KK I hope your tracking screen will look like this soon too - it looks like you should expect to see this Tuesday/Wednesday next week. The website seems to have a day or two delay vs the phone system. One thing that makes me wonder is why it says Performance Summer Tires and All Season Tires below that. Am I getting two sets of tires?
Congrats on getting this far, you're on your way.

Disregard everything on that tracking screen, close your browser for three weeks, add the BMW phone number to your Favorites, and keep hitting 'redial' every day at 5PM.

You need the VIR to confirm every option properly, so get it just for peace of mind. The VIR is "God". The BMW tracking site is "awful".

BJ

Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
First off, Week 4 January is next week so sounds like your issue is now solved (as best it can be at this point).

It's possible that you're in the same allocation with a coincidental date or its possible that he heard your frustration finally and bumped someone else's allocation to become yours. If he gave you an allocation number last month you can compare it with the allocation number of the Week 4 vehicle to confirm.

As others have said, you need to get a copy of the window sticker or VIR as a PDF from your dealer to confirm all the options you wanted on your configuration is there.

IMPORTANT: Is your car coming from Germany or South Africa? My friend in SoCal was originally in a SA vehicle and by switching to the German vehicle it saved him 2-3 weeks of additional waiting. Forgetting quality, if you're concerned about production time and shipping speed, you want a German car. Make sure that the allocation you have been given states that.

BJ
Thanks. Actually, in checking my emails again, the pdf document which the dealer sent me the day he ordered my car says Vehicle Inquiry Report on top so I guess that's the VIR. It does have all the correct options in there (M Sport, estoril blue, tech, etc.).

You mentioned that I should to cross check the allocation number the dealer may have given me when I ordered last month. The VIR I got before shows the production number but doesn't show any number that is titled allocation number. The production number is still the same. Does that mean my scheduled production date happened to be the same as the coincidental date of next week or is it still possible that the dealer bumped someone else's allocation number? If the allocation number isn't in the VIR, then I will ask my dealer for the number.

I was told before that mine was a German build. However, I'm worried that maybe the dealer took someone else's allocation number and mine somehow could become SA build?? I need to check into that again but I assumed it would still be German build.

I asked for the estimated time of arrival and dealer told me 7 weeks from the start of production. Is this normal? Sounds like a long time considering I read people here saying his car started production right after ordering and car arrived in 5 weeks. The out of state dealer that I'm working with is in Cali btw so that could shipment could take longer than coming straight to Texas. Plus, once the car reaches Cali, I have to get it transported to Texas so that could take.. I don't know.. a few extra days?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:

David,

I'm glad it worked out for you well. I hope I can join you in the production line soon.
Let me know when yours finishes production. I'm curious to know how long it takes.

You should probably get the VIR for peace of mind as others have said here.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Actually, in checking my emails again, the pdf document which the dealer sent me the day he ordered my car says Vehicle Inquiry Report on top so I guess that's the VIR. It does have all the correct options in there (M Sport, estoril blue, tech, etc.).

You mentioned that I should to cross check the allocation number the dealer may have given me when I ordered last month. The VIR I got before shows the production number but doesn't show any number that is titled allocation number. The production number is still the same. Does that mean my scheduled production date happened to be the same as the coincidental date of next week or is it still possible that the dealer bumped someone else's allocation number? If the allocation number isn't in the VIR, then I will ask my dealer for the number.

I was told before that mine was a German build. However, I'm worried that maybe the dealer took someone else's allocation number and mine somehow could become SA build?? I need to check into that again but I assumed it would still be German build.

I asked for the estimated time of arrival and dealer told me 7 weeks from the start of production. Is this normal? Sounds like a long time considering I read people here saying his car started production right after ordering and car arrived in 5 weeks. The out of state dealer that I'm working with is in Cali btw so that could shipment could take longer than coming straight to Texas. Plus, once the car reaches Cali, I have to get it transported to Texas so that could take.. I don't know.. a few extra days?

Thanks for your help.
Yes, you have the VIR. That's the document you need.

The production number and the allocation number are the same thing. So if the numbers match, it was just coincidental that your car is about to go into production.

Seven weeks is a ridiculously long time. And you've complicated matters by taking delivery in California and then having them ship the car to you in Texas. It took my friends car two weeks just to get through the Panama Canal and that whole delay could've been avoided. Add in the extra week it will likely take for the car carrier to deliver it to you, and you've added three weeks to the process.

I am not sure how good your deal is or how close you are with the California dealer, but you owe it to yourself to sniff around Texas a little bit and see if there's a dealer with an allocation and price that meets your criteria. You could switch that order to him today and literally save yourself three weeks worth of transit time, more if the California order is coming from South Africa. Food for thought.

BJ

Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:

Cool.

Mine is still in a Order Documented status. Where is your's being built? Mine is slotted for South Africa.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, you have the VIR. That's the document you need.

The production number and the allocation number are the same thing. So if the numbers match, it was just coincidental that your car is about to go into production.

Seven weeks is a ridiculously long time. And you've complicated matters by taking delivery in California and then having them ship the car to you in Texas. It took my friends car two weeks just to get through the Panama Canal and that whole delay could've been avoided. Add in the extra week it will likely take for the car carrier to deliver it to you, and you've added three weeks to the process.

I am not sure how good your deal is or how close you are with the California dealer, but you owe it to yourself to sniff around Texas a little bit and see if there's a dealer with an allocation and price that meets your criteria. You could switch that order to him today and literally save yourself three weeks worth of transit time, more if the California order is coming from South Africa. Food for thought.

BJ
Thanks again BJ,

Glad to know that production number and the allocation number are the same thing which means that my car is going to be German build (unless the dealer gave me wrong information in the first place). However, 7 weeks does seem like a really long time..

The deal I got from this dealer was invoice + $560 and that 560 includes training fee and a small doc fee. The deal I negotiated from my previous dealer was about $1100 over invoice and the CA never showed any competence for me to be confident that he'll be ordering the car with all the right options and know what's going on, etc. There are four dealers within 30 mile radius from where I live. One is owned by the same company as the previous one I just mentioned so I never contacted them. I contacted another one with the $1100 over invoice deal and a CA responded to me saying that is an extremely aggressive deal that he can neither beat nor match.

I don't mind just an ok deal in terms of money over invoice but I don't want to worry over dealer messing up my order (I read a few people complaining of dealers messing up their orders). I just never felt confident that these dealer would do things correctly. I got sick of them and looked for a good dealer on bimmerfest and a lot of people recommended this particular dealer in California. He impressed me a lot with his work efficiency and responsiveness (again, promptly responding to over 100 emails no matter what time of the week it is) and I decided to go ahead with him. Perhaps I should have demanded early on that I want my car here ASAP. I guess I never mentioned that part to him, wrongly thinking that dealers have no control over production time. In fact, I don't recall a single instance of me telling him I want my car to be delivered quickly.

It's understandable that a dealer would rather give early allocation to more "urgent" clients (or perhaps more profitable clients who buy a 6 or 7 series compared to my tiny 560 over invoice 3 series deal) and late allocations to others. It was my fault in the end I guess.. Although I'm not that happy with a 7 week time frame from production to delivery, I am very happy with the work that this dealer has done for me so far and I can full-heartedly say that I trust this dealer; I have confidence in him. Besides, I would feel really really bad to dump a dealer who's helped me so much. I have no problem being the meanest person in the world to people who try to screw me to the point where I can rip them apart in public in a hear beat, but not to people who kindly helped me.. I don't think I can dump him at this point unless there is a way I can have the car delivered to a local dealership and still be able to work with this dealer.. I'd rather wait a three more weeks and keep my peace of mind that this dealer is doing everything correctly for me.

Thanks a lot for your advice though. I appreciate it as always.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM

How do you put a signature btw? I want to put one..
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
I asked for the estimated time of arrival and dealer told me 7 weeks from the start of production. Is this normal?
Quote:
Seven weeks is a ridiculously long time.
Is it? Because I was told 60-75 days from order to delivery, which is 8-1/2 to almost 11 weeks.

After I placed the order on 12/31, my CA told me his boss, the sales manager, told him the car would be there before March 1, which is 60 days on the dot. I am mentally setting myself up for them to miss that deadline.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Is it? Because I was told 60-75 days from order to delivery, which is 8-1/2 to almost 11 weeks.

After I placed the order on 12/31, my CA told me his boss, the sales manager, told him the car would be there before March 1, which is 60 days on the dot. I am mentally setting myself up for them to miss that deadline.
You and the OP are talking about two different date ranges.

His question was date from start of production. Your question is from date of order placement.

It typically takes a week to build, a week to get on a boat, a week on the water (to NJ Port), a week to clear customs and get prepped.

Add two weeks for California. Add 10 days for South Africa.

BJ

Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Cool.

Mine is still in a Order Documented status. Where is your's being built? Mine is slotted for South Africa.
Have you called your dealer recently and inquired as to whether another car fitting your spec might be available from Germany? You can shave a few weeks waiting time right off the top if that's the case.

BJ

Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:

His question was date from start of production. Your question is from date of order placement.

It typically takes a week to build, a week to get on a boat, a week on the water (to NJ Port), a week to clear customs and get prepped.

BJ
So is 7 weeks long for someone in North East but pretty standard for someone in California? I just want to make sure mine isn't taking extra long.

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM

Krash, my CA just forwarded the pdf with the car's VIN number and it says over there that once production is finished the car will go to Port Bremenhaven which means it is being made in Germany.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
So is 7 weeks long for someone in North East but pretty standard for someone in California? I just want to make sure mine isn't taking extra long.
Forget that for a minute.

I'm looking at your signature. Does your car have automatic transmission? Because if it does, I'm fairly confident you can be in your car by this Saturday, Monday at the latest.

BJ

Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Have you called your dealer recently and inquired as to whether another car fitting your spec might be available from Germany? You can shave a few weeks waiting time right off the top if that's the case.

BJ
When we closed the deal the other night, they said they only had 1 slot for the 335 and it was South Africa.

I am going to call back tonight to get an update.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
When we closed the deal the other night, they said they only had 1 slot for the 335 and it was South Africa.

I am going to call back tonight to get an update.
Depending how impatient and anxious you are, contacting every dealer within a 50 mile radius wouldn't be a bad idea either. To get your business, most would match the deal you already have in place, maybe even better it, and get you in your car weeks faster.

I find the bigger the dealership the faster I get my car. It stands to reason that the larger dealerships get a lot more allocations each month, and if all the small guys have to do is sell out of their allocations there's no incentive to make deals happen cheaper and faster. My worst deals were with small dealerships in New Hampshire and Southern New Jersey. The dealerships that I actually wound up getting my cars from were in Boston and Paramus, two of the biggest dealerships in the entire country.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-16-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Depending how impatient and anxious you are, contacting every dealer within a 50 mile radius wouldn't be a bad idea either.
BJ
Yeah, I already talked to every dealer in a 50 mile radius before I settled on my current deal, and a couple dealers even further than that. At this point, I wouldn't expect any of 'em to return my calls anytime soon...LOL!

But seriously, I sort of worked them against each other to get the deal I wanted.

I am good. I will wait a couple days before I take any further action.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Krash, this is off topic but I keep looking at your setup and I have a question - are you going to install aluminium pedal covers in your car? I think your interior would look very cool with those!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Krash, this is off topic but I keep looking at your setup and I have a question - are you going to install aluminium pedal covers in your car? I think your interior would look very cool with those!
Yeah, I was actually thinking about it.

But haven't really decided one way or the other.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:

BJ
Ah, right, I didn't pick up on that.

So if it's four weeks from production start to end of prep--does that include delivery to the dealer? Or would that be additional time? I guess this means my car has to be done before January 31 for me to have a prayer of getting it in suburban Chicago before March 1.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688