Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 AM
Dave

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster 2.8 5spd
Z3-Bilstein Touring Bump Stops

I just received a new set of Bilstein Touring struts for my 98 Z3 2.8. When I removed the old struts, the bump stops were in extremely bad condition. I have searched this forum trying to find a definitive answer as to whether or not Touring struts have an internal bump stop as do the Sport or HD Bilsteins. The question has been asked numerous times...but no sure answer. I don't mind getting new bump stops if I need to but why do that if they aren't necessary. I have also contacted the supplier where I bought my struts and they offered to contact Biltsein. If I get results from that query, I will post it. Do Bilstein Touring struts have internal bump stops?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dheilman View Post
I just received a new set of Bilstein Touring struts for my 98 Z3 2.8. When I removed the old struts, the bump stops were in extremely bad condition. I have searched this forum trying to find a definitive answer as to whether or not Touring struts have an internal bump stop as do the Sport or HD Bilsteins... Do Bilstein Touring struts have internal bump stops?
Below is a reply from Turner Motorsport to my question about whether the OE bump stop and cover worked with Bilstein HD struts. The issue to me is not whether any Bilstein strut has an internal valving that replaces the external OE bump stop. The issue to me is the corrugated yellow plastic bellows cover that all Bilstein struts have. That cover fits on the rod, not over or under the OE cover, or bunched up underneath the OE bumper without the OE cover. So I think any Bilstein strut with the yellow bellows cover cannot be used with the OE rubber bump stop and big rigid plastic cover that snaps onto the bottom of the bumper:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...umpercover.jpg

Turner Motorsports said:
Quote:
I have contacted Bilstein directly and they said this shock does not require an additional bump stop as there is one internally built in to the shock absorber itself. That's why the shock looks the way it does and the dust cover WOULD NOT accommodate the factory bump stop.
Thank you!
Jason Gannett
Sales Manager | Turner Motorsport
978-388-7769 x-137
/ // Parts and Performance for BMWs
www.turnermotorsport.com

Last edited by vintage42; 01-17-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
So I think any Bilstein strut with the yellow bellows cover cannot be used with the OE rubber bump stop and big rigid plastic cover that snaps onto the bottom of the bumper
Thanks...but Bilstein touring struts do not have a dust cover included. Your reply from Turner appears to address Bilstein HD's not the Touring Struts.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
Below is a reply from Turner Motorsport to my question about whether the OE bump stop and cover worked with Bilstein HD struts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dheilman View Post
Thanks...but Bilstein touring struts do not have a dust cover included. Your reply from Turner appears to address Bilstein HD's not the Touring Struts.
Yes, it was about the HDs.
Since the Tourings don't have a yellow bellows dust cover, they are evidently OE-style, with no internal bump valving, and require the OE bump stop with its attached plastic dust cover. Otherwise, how are you going to have a dust cover?

Last edited by vintage42; 01-17-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Dave

I just heard back from the supplier where I bought my struts. He checked with Bilstein and the Touring model struts do not have an internal bump stop and do require an external bump stop.