Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Is it reasonable to get invoice price with all incentives (13 X5d)?

I'm looking to order a 2013 X5d this week and it's my first time fully buying a car on my own (inherited the leased 750Li in the divorce). So I'm looking at a $750 loyalty credit, $2300 dealer standard credit, and a $3000 eco credit. I know the advice is to get invoice, add $1k dealer profit, add options, subtract incentives, and there's your price. However, I'm wondering if the $2300 dealer standard credit (they push a big "no need to negotiate" thing where they take a set amount off each car) really does make it the bottom line price.

Anyhow, here's what I'm looking at:
X5d
Premium Package
Premium Sound Package
Sport Activity Package
Soft close doors

MSRP as built: $64,945
Subtract the incentives: $58,895

Invoice for 2012 (since 2013 isn't available, AFAIK): $60,355
Add profit: $61,355
Subtract incentives: $55,305

I should also mention, they're taking the leased car in early with their end of lease program, and basically assuming the last 4 months of payments on that.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to go in with the $55k starting point or am I being ridiculous in thinking I can get all those discounts and the lease bonus at the same time?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
it depends on whether you are ok with the deal.

Couple threads posted here got 10k-msrp

G luck

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
You go in at 200 over. They'll reject it, say OK maybe 500, or I'll go out of state. Let them beat you up and agree to 1000 over.
(so go in 54,500...say maybe 54,800...end up near 55300)

BUT, if you GO IN with 55300 you will NEVER get OUT with 55300.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi Coupe w/6spd
What is this standard Dealer's Credit? I bought me 335xi Used... Is that what other car companies refer to as holdback?

I am looking at ordering a similarly equipped X5...and since I am a Costco member they stated the Costco price is Invoice +$1000, - incentives, but they only refered to the the ECO Credit and BMW loyalty (so $4250 off)

I was hitting the following #s...

BASE MSRP $56,700
Sport Activity Package$2,200
Adaptive Drive$3,500
Multi-contour seats$900
Space-saver spare$150
Comfort Access $1000
Destination & Handling:$895
Total MSRP as Built $65,345

Invoice is $60290 (according to BMWConfig)

So that is $61290 - incentives... which would be $57040 but if there is also $2300 from Standard Dealer credit...then that means $54740, that is only a $2000 more than the Lux Touareg I looked at, and while the mileage isn't as good, and I lose Nav (no loss in my mind) I end up with a nicer looking vehicle that drives WAY better, and MUCH better seats for long hauls

Last edited by CaryInTacoma; 01-15-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Hey there,
The dealer standard credit I was referring to is my dealer's "no hassle negotiation" thing. Rather than go back and forth with a hidden manager, they bust out this binder that all the sales people have that has standard credits for each vehicle. For the x5 35d, it was actually $2700. I just went in today to talk with them. And the Eco credit they gave me was actually $3500, so that was a good $900 total more than I was expecting. Considering that and the fact that they're saving me around $2400 in lease payments with the early trade in, I'm going to go forward with those incentives. It all ends up being a wash and they've been great to work with. I've been very happy with my dealership and am looking forward to taking delivery next month!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Congrats 3lovebugs. You got your target price for a great vehicle.

To CaryinTacoma you should expect a target of MSRP-9-10k by yourself. For costco, you would simply be adding $500 to the purchase price (not bad, and your doing it without any hassle).

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 AM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
Sounds like a pretty good deal. Although, you may be able to save a couple dollars more off of their so called credit. There is probably a pull ahead on your lease, which is why they are taking it back without question. If there is no pull ahead program, make sure you look at the paperwork well, to ensure that they dont backload your loan with those 4 payments.

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
I recognize OP's original post is about final price . . .

On options be sure you clearly understand these two options really well before saying yes or no to it . . .

Multi-contour seats. (we have and we love it)
Adaptive Drive (we don't have it and we regret it)

Again get a clear understanding about what these are and then decide.

Last edited by RPsX5d; 01-16-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryInTacoma View Post
What is this standard Dealer's Credit? I bought me 335xi Used... Is that what other car companies refer to as holdback?

I am looking at ordering a similarly equipped X5...and since I am a Costco member they stated the Costco price is Invoice +$1000, - incentives, but they only refered to the the ECO Credit and BMW loyalty (so $4250 off)

I was hitting the following #s...

BASE MSRP $56,700
Sport Activity Package$2,200
Adaptive Drive$3,500
Multi-contour seats$900
Space-saver spare$150
Comfort Access $1000
Destination & Handling:$895
Total MSRP as Built $65,345

Invoice is $60290 (according to BMWConfig)

So that is $61290 - incentives... which would be $57040 but if there is also $2300 from Standard Dealer credit...then that means $54740, that is only a $2000 more than the Lux Touareg I looked at, and while the mileage isn't as good, and I lose Nav (no loss in my mind) I end up with a nicer looking vehicle that drives WAY better, and MUCH better seats for long hauls
Standard Dealer Credit is just a number the dealer has declared to be their 'standard discout' off of MSRP. It isnt a defined credit from BMW that you can apply as you wish to whatever pricing you negotiate.

It is good that the costco price is 1000 over. A good negotiator can usually do a bit better than costco pricing, but this means they are comfortable offering that price - it isnt going to be a great battle. (Note on negotiating- sometimes you will NOT succeed, and you may wind up at a different dealer, driving a bit, etc...so while you will read stories of heroic negotiations, these do have a potentially hidden cost and pitfalls. if you can do it, and get lucky, great. But really 500 over, 1000 over, both good deals.)

Keep in mind that dealers also have to pay MACO and training. If the 60,290 includes those in there, I'd offer only 500 over. So take off the 4250 incentives, add 500.

if 60.290 is just the published numbers, then the dealer WILL be paying for maco and training for the car...so adding $500 to the deal AND asking the dealer to pay maco and training out of that will be met with resistance. I am not familiar with BMWConfig to answer that...

(tactic- dont approach them with bottom line numbers, use "500 over invoice, I get any buyer incentives"....this makes negotaition very simple (which dealers dont like). HOWEVER, you should ultimately get to a number once the overall amouint over is agreed upon. I'd print out what you wrote above, but NO MSRP numbers anywhere on it- all invoice priices. Car, options, delivery, incentives, plus dealer profit of 500...final price. Keep the maco and training in your mind and dont bring it up unless they do. if at any time they are suqeezing you up, you have that to leverage. As it "Wait a minute, I agreed to $500 over which included that as part of your cost, if you are adding that in, then I cannot go more that $___ over". You get the idea.)

The key will be to know the components and know how it all goes together...they will sometimes get fuzzy on numbers, professing that 'they'll need to check'...but any good salesman knows them all. ANd when you knwo them and dont get flustered, you have the upper hand. And never speak of MSRP numbers for anything. I canb tell you when you are talking to a sales rep, lisitng invoice numbers and they are precisely the numbers he is seeing on his pricing page, it delivers a strong message.

GL

A