Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe
Smile Electrical drain

Hi, I have a technical question for the electrical/electronic gurus out there. I have a 2001 Z3 Coupe that left me with a dead battery overnight. The battery checked to be bad so I put in another known good one. It will start up fine but I was curious about the draw amount when it was off. My reading was about 210ma.. I pulled fuses until I came across a suspected circuit (Fuse #31 @ 5 amps). I found out that the most current there should be with the car off is 30ma.. Anyway,I started dismantling the car to get to all the connectors for this cicuit and found the X16 connector on the Instrument Cluster giving me the high reading. I don't have any information on the cluster to determine if it is in fact the cluster or something downstream from it. I'm assuming that a measurement should be taken from pin 22 to pin 24. I read 560 kohms there. I would like to troubleshoot this down to the component level please. I would appreciate any and all inputs. Thank you.This is my first post.
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.5L
Are you sure that was the only drain? 210ma isn't going to kill a battery over night, even a old/tired/weak one. If I remember correctly, the std Z3 battery is approx. 80amphr in capacity, and that's at a 20hr discharge rate, ie, 4amps for 20 hrs, or about 20x what you were seeing??? Did you measure the current across the e-box fuses (on the other side of the engine compartment from the large fuse panel)? The other thing I'd do is: verify the 210ma number, by popping the + lead off the battery, inserting a amp meter in series, and see if we still have your 210ma... if you've already done this, my apologies for suggesting such... but I'm assuming you measured the drains across the various fuses... maybe your drain is btwn the battery and the fuse panel?? Just a thought.

good luck - greg

Last edited by gmushial; 03-16-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe
Electrical Drain

Hi Greg, I've been taking all of my readings from the battery as you suggested and tried to find which circuits were drawing the incorrect amp draw by pulling the fuses out one at a time. I originally had two circuits in question-fuse 9 and fuse 31.#9 is for the radio which drew about 210ma. initially and drained to zero fairly fast. I discounted this circuit because it acted like a capacitor taking on a charge. #31 feeds about seven different circuits that are pretty difficult to get to. It's no picnic in a small car.I finally lost the draw after I disconnected the gage cluster.Now this is my dilemma due to lack of info. and I'm at a loss of who to turn to. I can't imagine why a gage cluster would draw this kind of amps. I thank you for your reply and the wellwishes-I think I'm going to need them. Jim