Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Leasing a BMW and moving to another state...

Apart from finding a new dealer to handle maintenance, etc. Is there any special requirements or notifications to BMW Financial if I'm moving to another state and am currently leasing a BMW? This is my first lease so this is probably a really stupid question. Thanks in advance!

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 AM
BMW Platinum Visa« Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Watch for taxes.

I leased my E90 in New Hampshire and saw my monthly lease payment go up $50 per month because of how New Jersey calculates their taxes. BMW will also ask you to provide new insurance documents at the time you call them to change your address.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic« | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package«
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Watch for taxes.

I leased my E90 in New Hampshire and saw my monthly lease payment go up $50 per month because of how New Jersey calculates their taxes. BMW will also ask you to provide new insurance documents at the time you call them to change your address.

BJ
Thanks! I'll see if I can figure out what the tax change will be, moving from NC to VA. I was debating just PMing you with my question since I was 99% sure you'd be the first to answer anyway hah.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
BMW Platinum Visa« Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Thanks! I'll see if I can figure out what the tax change will be, moving from NC to VA. I was debating just PMing you with my question since I was 99% sure you'd be the first to answer anyway hah.
Always happy to help.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic« | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package«
Old 01-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
Quote:
Apart from finding a new dealer to handle maintenance, etc. Is there any special requirements or notifications to BMW Financial if I'm moving to another state and am currently leasing a BMW? This is my first lease so this is probably a really stupid question. Thanks in advance!
You will need to obtain a letter from BMWFS attorney for authorizing registering your vehicle in another state. When I tried to register my vehicle at CA DMV, I was asked to come back with that document.
Like BJ, my state tax went up after moving to CA, around $30.

Last edited by 53K; 01-15-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Hmm... when I moved from NY to PA and I was leasing my E90 at the time I neither obtained any letters nor did it affect my monthly payment. Just registered the car in PA without even thinking about it. Was I just lucky or did they overlook it somehow?

Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i coupe
I moved from TX to AZ. My payment went up $80 or more! Because of taxes. And BMWFS charged me $25 service fee for moving. I was a bit surprised.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535d on the way
I lease a 2011 328ix and a year ago I moved from MN to NY. Since BMW keeps the title you need to get them involved ASAP in order to get the the docs and power of attorney to get your new plates. As others have stated be aware of new tax issues. Despite the fact that I paid the taxes in full for the lease in MN I had to pay sales tax (8.25%) for the remaining months of my lease. This was close to $1700! There is no tax reciprocity between NY and anyone. BMW put all of the paperwork together to make the transaction as seamless as possible but I had to call to have a couple of questions answered to make sure I didn't make two trips to the DMV. Another caution note - If you have a tax liability BMW finance will pay it directly to the state but will add this to your next payment so make sure to check this out so you get no surprises.

BB
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Anyone know what happens if Texas resident with taxes fully paid up front (when you lease a car in Texas, you pay taxes for the full vehicle price, not just for depreciation) moves to another State with the leased vehicle? Would the payments remain the same?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM

see my post kkapdolee. my payments went up when i moved from TX to AZ
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535d on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
Anyone know what happens if Texas resident with taxes fully paid up front (when you lease a car in Texas, you pay taxes for the full vehicle price, not just for depreciation) moves to another State with the leased vehicle? Would the payments remain the same?
You can check the tax liability for the new state where you expect to transfer by checking the state gov. tax web site. (Google the question and you may get to the link directly rather than hunting for it.) When I did the research from moving from MN to NY I found that most states do not offer reciprocity on taxes and you generally have to pay taxes an the remaining value of the payments or a fixed flat fee. If you pay out of pocket the it would not affect your payment. BMW Finance will probably have this info as well since for most states they can collect and pay the tax for you. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones.

BB
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
Absolutely nothing should happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtraveler View Post
see my post kkapdolee. my payments went up when i moved from TX to AZ
You got screwed. Two words - double taxation. You should have pointed out that sales tax had already been paid on the full value of the car. There was no taxable transaction when you moved.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-15-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM

In AZ there is no property tax. So when you register your car here they make you pay a "registration" fee based on some formula where the newer your car the more you pay.

I'm leasing with BMWFS, so I don't think I paid my taxes upfront. So my payment went up because of the sales tax.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtraveler View Post
In AZ there is no property tax. So when you register your car here they make you pay a "registration" fee based on some formula where the newer your car the more you pay.

I'm leasing with BMWFS, so I don't think I paid my taxes upfront. So my payment went up because of the sales tax.
If your lease originated in Texas you paid sales tax up front on the full sale price. That's the law in Texas, and Illinois. There is no personal property tax in Texas either.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-15-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Not sure if you can get out of it in AZ.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
that's why US and Australia have federal agents, if we don't pay monthly lease, federal agents can track us down.....
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Quote:
Dude, if you are moving to VA there are a couple things, if you are military, you should keep the vehicle register in NC and avoid the hussle. VA has annual property taxes which blow since you are also supposse to pay 5% when buying.

Also welcome to va

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Technically you're supposed to change your registration when you move, regardless of whether you own or lease the vehicle. BMW FS will get the notice from the DMV that you've changed addresses, although you should probably see if there's anything on the bill that allows for a change of address.

Moving from NC to VA, your vehicle property tax is gonna get jacked up. How much the pain is will depend on the county or city in which the vehicle is registered. For instance the County of Allegheny (VA) levies property tax at 5,95% on the residual value of the vehicle versus say, 2,95% in Nelson County. The tax is billed to BMW FS, which then passes on the bill to you at some point.

Of course, a change in state registration will incur a 3% tax, same as the current rate in NC.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalusmc View Post
Dude, if you are moving to VA there are a couple things, if you are military, you should keep the vehicle register in NC and avoid the hussle. VA has annual property taxes which blow since you are also supposse to pay 5% when buying.

Also welcome to va

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Not military. I'm moving to Arlington. NC also has annual property taxes on your vehicle so I won't gain/lose anything there. Question is what is the tax difference. From what I've seen the state income tax for VA is less than NC so maybe this will hold true for the property tax as well?

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Fungineer

Mein Auto: 2011 E92
With leases:
VA = taxed on depreciation but has annual property tax
MD = full tax but no annual tax

I was forced to buy mine. Both states suck :\
Old 04-01-2014, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport
I am in the same boat. I started my lease in Texas in Feb 2013. I just moved to California and when I tried to update the address in BMWFS, they are adding sales tax to each payment (8%). I paid taxes on the full purchase value of the car when I got the lease last year.

BMWFS recommended me to talk to the DMV here and explain to them my situation to see if they honor the taxes I already paid, or to talk to the Texas DMV to see if I get some of the state taxes back (doubt it).

Gotta love moving from one state to the other, it feels like moving from one country to another, these things should be controlled by the federal government instead of letting each state do their own thing.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: '14 335i/'13 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Absolutely nothing should happen.

You got screwed. Two words - double taxation. You should have pointed out that sales tax had already been paid on the full value of the car. There was no taxable transaction when you moved.
Double taxation is bull**** but it can happen.

California can and will do it all the time. I guess too many people were buying cars out of state to pay less in sales taxes so their response was to pass a law that if you attempt to register a vehicle in the state of California that was purchased in another state within the past year then you WILL pay sales tax if you want to register the car whether it was paid already in the state it was purchased in or not.

When I moved here from Texas two years ago I encountered this as my wife and I had new cars at the time (the annual fees here are also ASTRONOMICALLY HIGH) so I sold my truck because it wasn't legal here anyway and then traded my wife's car on her X3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
If your lease originated in Texas you paid sales tax up front on the full sale price. That's the law in Texas, and Illinois. There is no personal property tax in Texas either.

Texas most certainly does have a property tax. It is actually a bit on the high side too since there is no state income tax there. At least in my situation (with the value and tax rates of my property) I made out much better that way than I do now paying these ridiculous state income taxes.

Last edited by falar; 04-01-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:51 AM

It kinda sucks. If it is like that I will keep my car registered in Texas for a while
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: '14 335i/'13 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by josehp603 View Post
It kinda sucks. If it is like that I will keep my car registered in Texas for a while
A lot of us have done that when we moved here from out of state. Make sure that when you do decide to update everything that you do your driver's license and registration around the same time so in case you get pulled over at any time before that you can claim to be on vacation or just out visiting or something.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:58 AM

I'll definitely do that. My Texas registration expires in February 2014, so I have plenty of time to drive around with my Texas plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post
A lot of us have done that when we moved here from out of state. Make sure that when you do decide to update everything that you do your driver's license and registration around the same time so in case you get pulled over at any time before that you can claim to be on vacation or just out visiting or something.