Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-04-2015, 01:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0 E83 M54
Transfer Case Adaptation Reset and Coding?

1st post on the forum........

Our new (to us) 2006 X3 is overdue for fresh transfer case fluid. My wife loves the car, and has racked up 10K in the last few months (clocking past the 84,000 mark.) The BMW dealer is hours away. I plan on refreshing the juice myself (as I’ve done with the auto tranny, engine oil/filter, etc.) This module reset thing brings up a bunch of coding questions. I have an INPA Compatible K+DCAN USB cable, but have not tested the interface to the car. It looks like the USB driver is loading OK, but software versions / downloads / and tutorials seem pretty esoteric (and German) at this point.
  • Can the Transfer Case be reset (adaptation?) with NCS Expert?
  • Is there a version of NCS Expert which runs on 64bit Win7Pro?
  • If making a VM session or dual-boot partition with Win XP SP2 is too much trouble, how about those “Creator C310 BMW Multi System Scan Tool OBD OBD2 Diagnostic Code Reader" types of Scanners (mostly from Hong Kong and vicinity)? Will they perform this seemingly simple task?
  • Am I correct to assume that I could probably do this with the INPA – EDIABAS programs which came with the cable? (Trouble is... that the few programs that appear to 'sort-of' run on my laptop are in German and freaking me out just a bit).

PS. I was greeted with the terrible triad of lights indicating the transfer case actuator gear issue within days of purchasing the car “As-is!”. Thanks to this forum, a $42.00 better gear and a couple of hours of wrenching saved me a $1,400.00 dealer repair.

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author. G. K. Chesterton
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Unfortunately, transfer case adaptions can only be done with DIS/GT1.

Not supported on INPA/NCS Expert, for some reason.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
+1 never found it in NCS/INPA much to my chagrin.

Only use the BMW fluilds in the transfer box.

I think standard tools 12 (Ediabas 7.3 and NCS 4.x) run on 64 bit, I think you can also right click and run in compatibility mode for 32 bit execution but it's not my area of expertise.

Last edited by joylove; 01-04-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:43 AM

Anybody use one of those Scan Tool widgets?

Since I'm not highly motivated to tweak the cars behavior much (I could see having it honk once when the doors are locked or add 3 flashes for the lane change blinker, etc). Nothings is irking me greatly. I'm mainly interested in reading / clearing codes and resetting adaptation(s).

Any thoughts or experience on these types of tools (pic attached)? They claim to be able to reset adaptation.

PS. Yes, I think I got the right fluid TF 0870 (genuine BMW Power Divider Oil)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C310 Scan Tool.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	484918  

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author. G. K. Chesterton
Old 01-04-2015, 07:30 PM

Engine adaptations yes, DSC adaptations no.

It's INPA in a handheld device, I have the C110 V3.7 and it's an excellent tool for the tool kit next to the multimeter or in the trunk with the jack. Sometimes you don't want to drag out the laptop, the cables, change the battery, update Windows, try to remember your password, shunt the hair around to fit the adapter etc.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
After reading this post, and seeing that replacing the transfer case fluid is a maintenance item at a giving miles, is the resetting just setting the miles to next change? or is there actually something done in the clutching unit? Looks like this is almost like the oil change service lights.

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,
Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 AM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Do you have a light on the dashboard or a service notification showing? many guys just change the fluid and keep driving. It may not be super critical to reset it. It's certainly better off running with new fluid and old settings than old fluid.

Last edited by timgray; 01-05-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav31 View Post
..... Looks like this is almost like the oil change service lights.
No, it's something more than that.

The reset process exercises the actuator to gauge the current degree of wear on the clutch plates and adjusts the ongoing force applies accordingly - based on the fluid now having been refreshed with designed viscosity and other properties.

Hard to say exactly what is the effect of omitting this step.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Yea, as Supercourse was saying, this is not service light reset deal (particularly because BMW pretends this fluid should not need changing). There is an X-Drive BMW tech class document (in one of the forums... can't find the thread right now), which states:

"Transfer Case Oil and Monitoring:
Oil Monitoring is performed by the VTG control module to determine when a service (change) is due. The VTG calculates transfer case and clutch wear based on the amount of slip, engagement pressure (torque), speed and mileage. This calculation accounts for normal "dry" road driving, "adverse" road driving and "other" road extreme driving. Depending on individual vehicle use - driving styles and driving conditions, the transfer case oil service interval will vary. When a service is due, this will be indicated by a Fault Code and additional details are available using the DISplus/ GT1. Service functions provide directions on changing the transfer case oil and updating the VTG control module with the necessary reset and adaption procedure. This is extremely important for CBS
."

Since my rig has 84K miles and no service lights glowing, I'm going to assume that transfer case oil degradation would only be indicated by codes displayed in a scanner (rather than any light on the dashboard).

My original post was an inquiry of which of the plethora of coding devices/software methods would perform this needed adaptation (reset/re-learn). I called my local Indy, who said "I don't know of our scanner will do that because we've not tried a adaptation reset of an X3 transfer case yet". He estimated a cost of about $26.00 to try it.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Freshly Addicted

If you can find that thread that will be an awesome addition to this one. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:43 PM

I found the attached doc - See Sticky

I found the document attachment. It's on this very forum. See the Sticky called "BMW X3 transfer case problem". The link to the the page (12 of many) is...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...463848&page=12

Old 01-05-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Hard to say exactly what is the effect of omitting this step.
+1 I changed my fluids and didn't reset it. If it can adapt then it can adapt.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:54 AM
TA

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 525i
+2 I have changed the transfer case fluid twice (at 50k intervals) and did not reset the adaptation values. I assume the little light will tell me when this becomes an issue.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
post on coding forum ???

did y'all post the adaptations reset question on a coding forum ?????
Old 01-06-2015, 05:58 AM

No warning light when transfer case fluid wear value triggered.

Code 54C6 is set, and is only seen when the VTG module is checked for error codes.

The effect of not resetting the adaptions might just be that the wear value monitoring becomes out of sync. and no longer serves a purpose.

Others will argue that it does affect optimal xDrive performance in some way.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
No warning light when transfer case fluid wear value triggered.

Code 54C6 is set, and is only seen when the VTG module is checked for error codes.

The effect of not resetting the adaptions might just be that the wear value monitoring becomes out of sync. and no longer serves a purpose.

Others will argue that it does affect optimal xDrive performance in some way.
Suppercourse.......I have PA Soft 1.4 & pulled all the info I could off of our '07 X3 & there is a module for the Transfer Box. Has anyone tried using this to "recode" it? Just curious

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,
Old 01-06-2015, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
PA soft overview

looks like some good stuff for 30-40 bucks ....he touches just briefly on adaptation resets in the last seconds

Old 01-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Freshly Addicted

I love how these guys do their videos with a phone when they can download a screen recorder for free to give you a far better video.

If you look hard enough you can find those china copy ODB scanners with an illegitimate copy of 1.4 for $20.00 shipped. I just nabbed one off of ebay last week.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM

New Fluid, no bells or whistles....

Well I changed out the Xfer case fluid with the TF 0870. It took nearly the whole liter (didn’t measure what came out…not sure I want to know). It was pretty nasty. No lights, no codes thrown on that little entry level C310 scanner. I’d probably have to use better software to see anything deep in the VTG module. Did the diffs, PS and belts too. I may be spending $$$ on lubes, I can’t quite drag myself to grease the dealers palms to check for buried codes and reset the adaptation anytime soon.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:18 PM

Note there are engine adaptations that are resettable with INPA. Not necessarily the DSC ones in that video.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:20 PM

INPA may not be for me

I got an INPA compatible cable (and a CD with the ancient, crappy, bootlegged software, originating somewhere in China). My company Laptop which dual-boots to a couple of 64 bit Win7 instances turned out not to be the best platform. Not wishing to downgrade one of the environments to WinXP SP2, I threw in the towel.
Up the thread a ways, Supercourse says "Unfortunately, transfer case adaptions can only be done with DIS/GT1. ". joylove seems to agree in a couple of posts.