Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x3
Post Brake warning light is on

The Brake warning lamp for Canadian models is on in my 2010 BMW X3, I called the dealer and was told it's probably caused by the activated Emergency Brake, I was told to release the e-brake but either the dealer or myself doesn't know where the e-brake is located and how to reset the brake warning light. Appreciated if anybody can help fix this problem?

Last edited by drewl; 01-09-2015 at 03:16 AM. Reason: need to mention the year of my car
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Marginal at best!

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M-sport
My guess is that it's time to replace your brake pads (they have wear sensors on each caliper). I am not sure though. I heard a noise from my left front wheel today but I do not have a brake light on. I'm trying to figure out if I can replace just the pads or do the rotors need to be replaced also. I was told a few months ago I would need brakes soon.I have been waiting for a light to come on.Maybe I have a bad sensors. Anyway if I were you I would look at the brake pads to see how much is left,or have a brake shop check them for you. Good luck
Old 01-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
^ it's not worn brake pads - that's a different warning icon (dotted lines).

The brake warning light in question will be lit under the following circumstances:

1. RED
- handbrake has not been released, or
- brake fluid is low

2. YELLOW
- Dynamic Brake Control has failed (but 4x4 light should also be on)

2010 model has same mechanical handbrake as earlier years - not an electro-mechanical one as in some other models.

When the handbrake lever is released does it sound/feel like the brake is letting go?

If not, the mechanism must be frozen.
If it does feel as though it is releasing, check the brake fluid level in the reservoir.
If it is low, you may have a leak, or you may be getting close to needing new pads, in which case the other brake warning light will light up eventually.
If it is not low, the brake fluid level sensor could have failed and will need to be looked at by the dealer.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Is drewl still with us? Two identical posts and then silence.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:01 PM
Marginal at best!

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M-sport
Smile

Well at least I learned what the warning light looks like. Thankyou I hope Drew reads it.