Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
****ie

Mein Auto: Celica
Maintenance at long distance

If one buys a shiny new BMW, but doesn't live anywhere near an authorized service center, how is maintenance and warranty handled?
Will BMW contract that to a local shop?
Is it just my problem to get it to the dealer for the scheduled service?

I live in Alaska and the nearest dealer is 900 miles (a six hour ferry ride and a two-day drive) away.
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Negative you need to either do it yourself and document that or take it to the dealer.
You can have an independent do it but you pay for that and best to use quality parts
However there is little that is actually done to the car for the 4 years/ 50 miles other than an inspection oil change about every 15K miles, wipers and a few other odds and ends.

My suggestion is do it yourself if you can and again not that much to do. Let me ask you this what are you going to do if your BMW breaks down? BMW is NOT going to come get it since it is way outside of their coverage area.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM
****ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
. Let me ask you this what are you going to do if your BMW breaks down? BMW is NOT going to come get it since it is way outside of their coverage area.
That was part of my question. Your take on it is there isn't a provision to provide sevice through an independent contractor, and it's my job to get the car to the dealer for any warranty work.
That kinda puts a damper on my enthusiasm to spring for a shiny new car
Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneau99803 View Post
That was part of my question. Your take on it is there isn't a provision to provide sevice through an independent contractor, and it's my job to get the car to the dealer for any warranty work.
That kinda puts a damper on my enthusiasm to spring for a shiny new car
You are kidding .... right ????

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335I Convertible
Warranty service must be done at the dealership in order for it to be paid for by BMW. Any work done at an independent shop will be paid for by you.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 PM
****ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
You are kidding .... right ????
No. If there is no provision for reimbursing service performed by non-dealers when no dealer is available, my enthusiasm for a shiny new car is pretty small. Roundtrip to Seattle would be about $1,800 on a barge (assuming the dealer met it and returned it to the barge). Taking it to the Anchorage dealer is 900 miles each way and would involve a week of travel. Neither of these options is workable.

I don't mind doing my own work and waiting for parts to arrive. I just don't want to carry that complication while also paying for dealier service which I can't use. A large chunk of the value in a shiny new car is the provided maintenance and waranty support. If that isn't available, new is much less attractive than a depreciated used model.

Last edited by Juneau99803; 01-15-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Isn't that a Universal problem in Alaska.

At least for Euro Cars.
And shouldn't you be buying something ultra relaiable
and able to get through the weather.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-15-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 PM
****ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
At least for Euro Cars.
And shouldn't you be buying something ultra relaiable
and able to get through the weather.
It is a pretty common problem, though in some other industries the manufacturers are willing to work with local resources to service their customers. I'll try contacting the Anchorage dealer and see if they have any words of advice.

Re: ultra reliable
That's part of the reason i'm still driving my '90 Celica. It's fun and it hasn't been in the shop in twenty years. But I'm down to my last can of Freon and it's going to need new tires next year. Both of those seem like reasonable excuses to go shopping
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
I've owned half a dozen BMWs over the last twenty-five years. In that time I have had so few warranty issues that I think, in your situation, I would feel pretty comfortable taking the chance. Regular maintenance is really a non-issue: you can change the oil as often as you like, and the wiper blades and brakes when needed. There really isn't much else. Minor warranty issues I would have dealt with at my own expense, figuring it as part of the cost of living where I do. If there were a major issue (and they do happen), then I would do whatever it takes to get the car into the hands of the dealer. BMW does provide four years of roadside assistance in the United States, which generally involves having the car transported to the nearest dealer. You may want to inquire about whether this is covered for you where you live. If so, then I think you're not taking much risk. If not, then the odd case where a new car has a bad transmission or a bad DME or some other major component failure might just be too much of a risk for you to contemplate.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs & Ram trucks
I keep a couple of BMW's in MT but there isn't a dealer in the state; the nearest is Spokane WA (225 miles) but the nearest good dealer is in Salt Lake City, about 500 miles distant.

So far I've been lucky!

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 PM

Mein Auto: ED 330i
Not a customer friendly policy to say the least. But I guess it would cost us all more if BMW had to pay extra to service cars that are located in remote locations due to owner choice. Still, you would think BMW could pay the indy shop the same $$ it reimburses its dealers for similar service. But of course there are quality control issues.