Disabling NIC - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 650i Coupe
Disabling NIC

So for awhile now, in the mornings when I would accelerate down my street to 20mph and then let off the gas, the car would start shaking, as if it was confused on what gear to go to. It didn't have the problem in manual mode or sport mode. So what's the difference?

Low and behold, BMW has something called NIC, or neutral idle control, which disengages the torque converter from the transmission when in idle. Apparently, it was disengaging it when NOT in idle, for reasons unknown. This function is NOT active in sport mode, explaining why I didn't have the issue when I had the car in sport mode (and it would immediately stop when i enabled sport mode). I disabled it and the problem has completely gone away, and the car feels MUCH more responsive off the line.

It was very easy, just one line in the EGS module in NCS Expert and its off.
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2017, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I was thinking you could code it out? Have you checked your tranny fluid level lately, the fluid could be a little low?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
I was thinking you could code it out? Have you checked your tranny fluid level lately, the fluid could be a little low?
I did code it out and the car feels much better. How do I check the fluid level?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:02 PM

Here is the procedure. If you are starting to feel hard shifts, & down shifts, the fluid could be a 1/2 qt low. The fluid level is that sensitive.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 626 parts list fill.pdf (1.83 MB, 17 views)
Old 06-27-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Here is the procedure. If you are starting to feel hard shifts, & down shifts, the fluid could be a 1/2 qt low. The fluid level is that sensitive.
I guess I should do a complete fluid change then? Do you know if this is a good kit?

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=F2A1313-E
Old 06-27-2017, 07:33 PM

I don't know much about their products. I would try & stick with ZF parts as they built the tranny for BMW. While I was changing the pan, I would also suggest changing the Mechatronics adapter seal, the seal for the electrical connector, & the 4 tubes between the valve body & casing. This should be everything needed to keep your tranny running like new. The fluid used needs to meet BMW specs, can be purchased in different brands. I use Pentosin ATF! since it is stocked at most any local parts store, in case some is needed in a hurry. I use a Hudson Bleach sprayer which holds 6 quarts, & pumps under pressure. It is stocked at Lowes, & less than 20.00. This will make installing the fluid much easier.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know much about their products. I would try & stick with ZF parts as they built the tranny for BMW. While I was changing the pan, I would also suggest changing the Mechatronics adapter seal, the seal for the electrical connector, & the 4 tubes between the valve body & casing. This should be everything needed to keep your tranny running like new. The fluid used needs to meet BMW specs, can be purchased in different brands. I use Pentosin ATF! since it is stocked at most any local parts store, in case some is needed in a hurry. I use a Hudson Bleach sprayer which holds 6 quarts, & pumps under pressure. It is stocked at Lowes, & less than 20.00. This will make installing the fluid much easier.
Thanks. I'm probably not going to be the one installing so I don't need the pump. I'll get the ZF pan/filter. I see the mechatronics sleeve for sale, but I will need to see if I can find the seal for the electrical connector and 4 tubes. I will check the Pentosin ATF and add half a quart to see if it changes the quality of the gear shifts.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:45 PM

Below is a link with the needed parts that you will need. The parts will be on page 3 & 4. The Pentosin can be purchased in 5 qt bottles on Amazon for around 55.00 a bottle. Local is usually around 75.00.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/BMW/2...gID=020&page=2
Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Below is a link with the needed parts that you will need. The parts will be on page 3 & 4. The Pentosin can be purchased in 5 qt bottles on Amazon for around 55.00 a bottle. Local is usually around 75.00.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Make/BMW/2...gID=020&page=2
thanks. i didn't realize that you had to remove a fill plug to add fluid.

I have the same pump as what they have, I'll get some fluid and top it off and see how it works after
Old 06-27-2017, 07:56 PM

It is adventure the 1st time, you can make a big mess if the temp gets to high. If you wrap the exhaust with some high temp blanket, it is a piece of cake. After reading the procedure, you will be more prepared!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search