Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport Prem 5Spd
Suspension Question Koni FSD

So here's what I'm thinking... at 105k (bone stock) miles I've gotten my money's worth out of the shocks, so I'm thinking about upgrading.

Stock 03/00 Sport Suspension to my knowledge is made by Boge, which is now owned by Sachs- I want to upgrade if possible without compromising ride quality. The car sits on OEM sport 17" style 5 rims.

Bilstien's are really not an option for me, from what I hear they're much harder than stock.

I'm looking into Koni FSD, Does anyone have any experience with these shocks? How do they compare with the stock sport suspension?

Further, does anyone have both Koni FSD's and the Eibach spring kit? I'm curious if it's worth swapping the stock springs out for the Eibachs. My car is sitting pretty low as it is due to the worn suspension, but are the Eibach springs really that much lower? Do they negatively affect the ride quality?

I have a feeling that the FSD's and the Eibach springs will actually make my car sit higher than it currently is. Right now it's nearly impossible to go over a speed bump without bottoming out, and putting the car on a lift involves lots of floorjack finessing due to the low stance.

Here's another picture so you all can get a look at the current ride height;

Smile

2000 528i Sport Premium 5speed
Ads by Google
Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
I installed FSD's and H&R 50464 springs in my '00 540 about 6 years ago. I love them, no problems, got ~60K on them now.
The H&R's drop the car just enough to suit me.
The FSD's won't lift the car, the springs control ride height with these struts/shocks.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere

Last edited by JimLev; 01-15-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Do a search on this forum for FSDs. I recall there were some durability issues raised on this forum regarding FSDs on the I6 (when I was looking at replacement struts). They were a great replacement except for the durability.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport Prem 5Spd
As it seems right now the stock Boge is the way to go for longevity, performance and ride comfort. I am aware of the reliability issues; what would be your (anyone's) recommendation for upgrading the shocks?

2000 528i Sport Premium 5speed
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: DINAN 540
I went with the Koni and the Eibach setup and I'm happy with the ride.

Dinan F&R strut tower brace, M5 F&R sway bars, Koni Sports, Eibach springs, Powerflex polyurethane bushings, Dinan stage 2 engine software, Stage 1 trans software, Zionsville cooling kit, resonator delete, Dinan exhaust, Dinan throttle body, AFE cai, 18' style 5's, 235/40/18 275/35/18, Ultimate cup holders, rear cup holder delete/coin holder, Hella taillights, clear sides, Depo AE, M5 lip spoiler,
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Asking for another's opinion on shock performance is tough because ride quality (as opposed to handling) is quite subjective. There are tradeoffs in any shock selection. However, the question on shock selection is further complicated by the risk for problems and your tolerance for risk. This summarizes the big 3 shock options. Search for more details. Also keep in mind that these shocks will feel different depending if you have sport or comfort seats.

The Boge sport's represent a good combination of performance and ride quality. They are the lowest cost option and have a reasonable lifespan with no known reliability issues.

The Koni yellows represent a good combination of improved performance, excellent lifespan and with a slight reduction in ride quality but at a higher cost.

The Koni FSD's represent a good combination of improved performance with good ride quality but at higher cost and with some risk for a shortened lifespan (search for details).

Bilstein HD's represent a combination of improved performance, exceptional lifespan with some reduction in ride quality but at a higher cost and with some risk for problems (search clunking).

Bilstein Sports give greatly improved performance with exceptional lifespan but with a even bigger reduction in ride quality at a higher cost.

I personally stayed with Boge's because ride quality was most important and my concerns with some of the problems associated with HDs and FSDs. Skip the springs since you are already a bit lower than stock. A shorter spring will need to be a stiffer spring in order to avoid bottoming out due to the shorter travel length so the ride quality will be noticeably degraded. If you simply want to improve handling, get an M5 rear sway bar and you will get flatter cornering with no compromise in ride quality.