Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Reconfigurable? Who needs it.

BJ
When BMW says you need it.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to jusmills Send a message via Yahoo to jusmills
Mein Auto: '04 330Ci
While corvettes aren't normally my thing, I do have to admit that they offer the best performance value of all cars that I know of. Now that GM has finally updated the look (although I'm not completely sold on the rear) and more importantly the interior, I'd say that this car is definitely ready for the prime-time. I'd be interested in one, the ATS as well. I love my BMW, however I can definitely see the effort and value the GM has put into some of their recent vehicles. For me, its not about blindly following a badge, but what works for my current situation and what feels right to drive. I'm sure a lot of you guys here, on this website, feel the same way. Besides that, I think the fact that there is quite a bit of good competition out there, ensures that BMW doesn't rest on their laurels and continues to put out innovative dynamic vehicles. That makes it a good time to be a buyer.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
First Corvette C7 sells for $1.05 million

Nascar team owner and Corvette collector purchased the first Corvette C7 off the assembly line for $1.05 million dollars. All of the proceeds from the first C7 sale will go to the College for Creative Studies.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-22-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Nascar team owner and Corvette collector purchased the first Corvette C7 off the assembly line for $1.05 million dollars. All of the proceeds from the first C7 sale will go to the College for Creative Studies.

CA
Wait a minute. That's the new Corvette? That thing that up there that looks like the old Corvette?

Tell me this is a joke.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Wait a minute. That's the new Corvette? That thing that up there that looks like the old Corvette?

Tell me this is a joke.

BJ

This is car is like the C7 Hendrick purchased.

This is a C6 (the outgoing model)

The "first one off the line" sales are fairly common at Barrett Jackson and in the past various Shelbys have gone for huge bucks.
It is more a vehicle for raising money for a charity than an accurate reflection of the actual value of the car.
Hendrick, who is the largest Chevy dealer in the country, also purchased 10 percent buyer's premium as well as a 1969 L-88 Corvette for another $1 million during the 42nd annual Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Event in Arizona.
Speedtv.com noted that Hendrick has purchased many other brand-new cars at Barrett-Jackson auctions, including the first production 2010 Camaro SS for $350,000; the first 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Edition for $270,000; the first 2011 Camaro SS convertible for $205,000; and the first 2012 ZL1 Camaro for $250,000.

Rick Hendrick has the largest Corvette collection in the world

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-21-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
This is the C7 Hendrick purchased.

This is a C6 (the outgoing model)

CA
Wow. Seeing the photos side-by-side I can tell the difference but one without the other I'd be hard pressed to know.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Wow. Seeing the photos side-by-side I can tell the difference but one without the other I'd be hard pressed to know.

BJ
To be honest I had to go back and check myself. I saw the two cars (c6, c7) parked next to each other at the Manhattan C7 debut cocktail party last week and they are actually quite different looking although there is certainly a family resemblance. They had several classic Corvettes on display, including a 64 Sting Ray Coupe and you could see how there were certain design cues that were there throughout the years.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-21-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
GM started offering a head-up display in their Corvette in 1988. BMW started offering one as an option in 2012, or thereabouts. That's 24 years difference. Now, who are the innovators and who are the followers/copiers?

Ah-yessssssssss.....

GM offered what they now call 'displacement on demand' 'way back when, an innovation. Many former Cadillac pilots bemoan that miserable experience.

A bitter fail for GM owners, Honda's version was a success in the Odyssey. Others followed, including GM who revisited the idea.

IMHO GM's done as many bad things as good.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

I saw this car years back in an animated movie. Cars. Am I nuts?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The new Vette look much better in dark colors, maybe its because all the vents blends in.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

I saw this car years back in an animated movie. Cars. Am I nuts?

Good catch. And his designers made sure Lightning McQueen didn't have ugly black wheels.

BJ

Old 01-22-2013, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:

CA
Great publicity and big bucks for my Alma matter!

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Good catch. And his designers made sure Lightning McQueen didn't have ugly black wheels.

BJ
Entry level cars and lower end marks don't offer black wheels. You need to move up the food chain and out of the guppy pool.

black with silver rim center locking 19" wheels on 2012 Porsche Carrera GTS Cabriolet

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 01-22-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 AM

Many supercars have black vents and wheels, I think some of the complaints are unfair. Vette is for a niche market, like all cars sold for niche market, they look different.

Of course some people just like to make fun of others probably to hide the fact their lives are not as interesting. There is nothing interesting about being one of the 98%.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Entry level cars and lower end marks don't offer black wheels. You need to move up the food chain and out of the guppy pool.

black with silver rim center locking 19" wheels on 2012 Porsche Carrera GTS Cabriolet

Here you forgot one

Old 01-22-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 135i
Where is the discussion about the display?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
Here you forgot one

Not an untrue statement, you need to move up the food chain of the standard F30 to have this.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjames007 View Post
Where is the discussion about the display?
As far as reconfigurable instrument display, I learned it first in the Lexus LFA supercar, the Caddy XTS got it last year, now the new Vette, Lexus IS F, even the new Dodge Dart. Audi is working on it, or maybe already has one?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Here you forgot one
Your car is the rare exception to the "black wheels are ugly" viewpoint because of the white paint and black stripes. Your car is very two-tone, very black/white, so the wheels are in keeping with that and the red brakes break up the monotony.

But dark cars with black wheels are bad. And red cars with black wheels are the absolute worst, just scream "old man in crisis" which is why Corvette has that combo on its promotional car.

BJ

Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:

BJ
I'd say they are about the same level of difference as an E90 to F30, which is to say an evolutionary change. That seems to be the way things are done these days. Look at the new Accord. Have you seen the new MDX? They only make drastic changes when a model isn't selling, like the RDX. In some cases, they make a drastic change and screw up a model that had been a previous hit, like the TL. Sorry for the Acura theme, but that's just the examples that came to mind.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
I'd say they are about the same level of difference as an E90 to F30, which is to say an evolutionary change. That seems to be the way things are done these days. Look at the new Accord. Have you seen the new MDX? They only make drastic changes when a model isn't selling, like the RDX. In some cases, they make a drastic change and screw up a model that had been a previous hit, like the TL. Sorry for the Acura theme, but that's just the examples that came to mind.
I agree, no argument there.

But the Corvette hasn't been touched since the whole "retro" styling thing happened like with the Mustang, Charger, and Camaro. I thought for sure the Corvette would pick up some significant retro elements since it's pretty much the ultimate retro-capable car, so instead of something revolutionary it's too evolutionary and it missed its opportunity to capitalize on some of that old 60's DNA. If it were me, I'd have started with a '67 Stingray on the whiteboard and built it up off of that; instead they took a '90 and built off of it. Yuck.

Thus the reason why this car disappoints (and bores) me.

BJ

Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
I agree, no argument there.

But the Corvette hasn't been touched since the whole "retro" styling thing happened like with the Mustang, Charger, and Camaro. I thought for sure the Corvette would pick up some significant retro elements since it's pretty much the ultimate retro-capable car, so instead of something revolutionary it's too evolutionary and it missed its opportunity to capitalize on some of that old 60's DNA. If it were me, I'd have started with a '67 Stingray on the whiteboard and built it up off of that; instead they took a '90 and built off of it. Yuck.

Thus the reason why this car disappoints (and bores) me.

BJ
Retro is a scary double edged sword.

Countless examples of it dying quickly like the Thunderbird. But best case scenario it works like the New Beetle and Mustang. But it is automatically a bit self dating and you are left with a now what situation after only a few years. The Mustang had a major refresh of it's retro and so did the Beetle. But that's all you get, a refresh of the retro. So the '15 Mustang will likely be quite different.

There are cars that they just won't meddle with too much. The 911 and Vette arevperfect examples. They wind up keeping their faithful buying and manage to pull in just a bit more in sales each time. There will not be a radical 911 or Vette anytime soon. Dating back decades you had mid engine futuristic Vette concept cars. There is a reason why they stayed concepts.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Retro is a scary double edged sword.

Countless examples of it dying quickly like the Thunderbird. But best case scenario it works like the New Beetle and Mustang. But it is automatically a bit self dating and you are left with a now what situation after only a few years. The Mustang had a major refresh of it's retro and so did the Beetle. But that's all you get, a refresh of the retro. So the '15 Mustang will likely be quite different.

There are cars that they just won't meddle with too much. The 911 and Vette arevperfect examples. They wind up keeping their faithful buying and manage to pull in just a bit more in sales each time. There will not be a radical 911 or Vette anytime soon. Dating back decades you had mid engine futuristic Vette concept cars. There is a reason why they stayed concepts.
Definitely, but imagine if the best designers America had to offer breathed new life into the Corvette after all these years? All those baby-boomers who lusted after a '67 Stingray being offered a gorgeous yet modern throwback to their youth?

Chevy did a good job on the Camaro, would have been interesting to see them let it loose on the Corvette. I'm a bit biased as the '67 is one of my favorite cars ever and the 1980's and 1990's Vette design that still carries forward to this day still looks like a beefed-up 1982 Pontiac Firebird to me.

BJ

Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Here you forgot one

Your car looks real good. You've customized it nicely. What I was referring to is that my car is an actual model that is offered by Porsche. Many high end performance cars come with black wheels.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Your car is the rare exception to the "black wheels are ugly" viewpoint because of the white paint and black stripes. Your car is very two-tone, very black/white, so the wheels are in keeping with that and the red brakes break up the monotony.

But dark cars with black wheels are bad. And red cars with black wheels are the absolute worst, just scream "old man in crisis" which is why Corvette has that combo on its promotional car.

BJ
I love it when you talk dirty to me

Other than the back window visibility the Camaro is an absolute winner. The Corvette finally has a designed back end and seeing those grey versions makes me really like it.

I cant wait for the dashes to go all digital, but I want them to be basically OLED over old school analog versions. So if you loose that fuse, you can still see the data, but it almost like one of those two way mirrors. When digital powers up it hides the analog, or maybe just accents it. That would be gorgeous and a great pairing of classic with the future.