Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Must See videos of Dimple Magnetic Drain Plugs + BavAuto Review

I had my oil changed at a dealer for $90. I purchased a Dimple Magnetic drain plug and had them install it during the oil change.

I researched several magnetic drain plugs and decided to go with the Dimple Drain Plug (around $25).

I decided to share the 3 videos about their magnets on their webpage with people here looking to do an oil or tranny fluid change.

3 Videos
http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/videopresentations.html

BMW Drain Plugs
http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/bmw.php

BAVAUTO Review June 2012 -
"Here at Bavarian Autosport, we've been using and recommending the Dimple Super Magnetic Drain Plugs since our first evaluation and testing of them. These are the highest quality and strongest magnetic drain plugs that we have ever used or tested...."
http://blog.bavauto.com/11544/bmw-an...r-review-test/

Last edited by seemyad; 11-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
They need to come out with a plastic magnetic to collect all the chain guide pieces.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Actually, if the "shavings" fall in the sump, the oil does not go backwards in the engine. It's directed through the filter, then back into the engine. So "IF" my engine will have metal shavings (which it does not), the said shavings are captured by the filtering element. BTW, I haven't seen any signs of metal shavings when I changed the oil, and it has been done numerous times....
Once you start seeing metal shavings in the oil pan (or the Dimple), it's getting close to "game over" anyways for the engine.
Snake oil, with good marketing. If the filter doesn't catch such shavings, your filter is...Fram.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 AM
BMW ****ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Actually, if the "shavings" fall in the sump, the oil does not go backwards in the engine. It's directed through the filter, then back into the engine. So "IF" my engine will have metal shavings (which it does not), the said shavings are captured by the filtering element. BTW, I haven't seen any signs of metal shavings when I changed the oil, and it has been done numerous times....
Once you start seeing metal shavings in the oil pan (or the Dimple), it's getting close to "game over" anyways for the engine.
Snake oil, with good marketing. If the filter doesn't catch such shavings, your filter is...Fram.
Doru you are much more of an expert on BMWs than I am so your reply is well received.

That being said the "shavings" I'm more interested in are virtually invisible to the naked eye when looking at oil. The filter has limits on size of contaminants it will trap. Dust/powder/granular size contaminants will escape the filter and circulate continuously.

There are only two "true" comparisons I can think of:

1) Install the Dimples magnetic drain plug. At the next oil change examine it. If you find no metal buildup on the magnet then you know it was not useful to install. If you do find metal buildup then it was useful.

2) Change the oil. Install the Dimples drain plug. Send a sample of the old to be tested for contaminants. Upon the next oil change. Send a sample to be tested to measure the delta. If the delta does not drop by X% then the magnetic drain plug was useless. If tests confirm a drop in contaminants it MAY be due to the drain plug.

IMHO to simply say you don't see shavings in the old oil with the naked eye is not a valid argument. Also to say the filter catches all of the metal contaminants is simply incorrect.

People who have used the Dimples Magnetic Drain Plug claim to find metal contaminants trapped by the plug. I view it as permanently augmenting the oil filter.

Ill try to find before and after pics to post.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 AM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
I use a magnetic drain plug and its interesting what it catches. Not shavings but microscopic metal particles. When i change the oil it literally looks like a single drop of liquid mercury stuck to the magnet.
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Old 11-28-2012, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5spd Manual
I use Gold Plug magnetic drain plugs in all my cars and diffs and trans. Great product, good price and magnetic drain under normal condition should like like graphite on the tip. So if you wipe it on a clean paper towel you get a little streaking if you will. It's just a coating of fine fine metal particles on the magnet. HD equipment such as diesels and construction equipment all come with magnetic drain plugs in EVERYTHING, STANDARD. Even my 6.0 F250's engine did. They're cheap insurance and don't hurt. I like them. The only reason these companies don't run them in regular cars is cost. $1/car is a lot of money.

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Someone was making circular magnets to go around oil filters, that wouldn't work on our cars however a big flat magnet stuck to the front bottom of the oil pan should do a better job collecting particles coming from the front cam chain area.
Of course you'd eventually have to pull the lower oil pan off to clean it, but any good gear head would be doing this, right?

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: E39
Is the engine have many other metals that will not be attracted by the magnet?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Isn't the stock drain plug already magnetic? If not, then I guess the PO installed one on mine.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
I pump my oil out so I would never, ever know if this magnetic plug ever collected any contaminants!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
I don't know. Could be a good product, but a decent oil filter should do the job correctly. Next time I do an oil change, I might dissect the filter to see if it catches any particles, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Question: is the Dimple plug designed like the OEM plug so as to shear off if someone overtightents it? I really like this feature on the OEM plug. When I purchased the car about 6 years ago, I remember I did an oil change (it was the 2nd oil change I believe), and the oil plug twisted off when I tried to remove it. I know I used the torque wrench to tighten it before that, meaning the plug was already compromised by whoever did the oil changes before.
This feature protects the threads of the oil pan on the i6 engines, because it's such a pain to replace it. The v8 plugs are not designed the same - the oil pan is easy to remove.

German engineers knew what they were doing.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 AM

I own a assortment of click and beam torque wrench. I torque my filter cap and drain plug to the OEM spec of 25 Nm. Not LB ft. Nm. In diffs magnets are great too! Telling you guys... Magnets should be stock in all systems. Cheap bean counters did away with them. Remember the particles the magnet picks up may be small enough to not get picked up by the filter. Just a thought. for $15 I run my Gold Plug! And the Mann filter kit comes with a new Oring and copper drain plug gasket. Works out great.

Gold plug are great guys. I had VAC motorsports send a new drain plug for their billet aluminum 335i diff to Gold plug. Gold plug put a monster magnet on it and send it out to me. When I was breaking in the OS Giken diff .... it worked. Caught all the break-in material. You can't even make the argument the oil filter will catch the particles in a diff! The magnetic plugs from the parts stores work, but they are not even close to the strength. Obviously magnets are really there for people looking to get maximum life out of products.

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.

Last edited by FLE39; 11-28-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM
BMW ****ie

Before and After Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
I don't know. Could be a good product, but a decent oil filter should do the job correctly. Next time I do an oil change, I might dissect the filter to see if it catches any particles, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Question: is the Dimple plug designed like the OEM plug so as to shear off if someone overtightents it? I really like this feature on the OEM plug. When I purchased the car about 6 years ago, I remember I did an oil change (it was the 2nd oil change I believe), and the oil plug twisted off when I tried to remove it. I know I used the torque wrench to tighten it before that, meaning the plug was already compromised by whoever did the oil changes before.
This feature protects the threads of the oil pan on the i6 engines, because it's such a pain to replace it. The v8 plugs are not designed the same - the oil pan is easy to remove.

German engineers knew what they were doing.
As always Doru, you raise good points. I found numerous forums for various cars that speak highly of Dimple Magnetic Drain Plugs. Some posted pics so I'll add those links below. I would like to state for the record Doru, CN90, Fudman, Blubee and others have far more knowledge of BMWs than I do.

Basically, if one were to quantify the oil filter I think it would be safe to say the larger the particulate, the higher percentage of the particulate remains trapped in the filter. As you go to smaller particulates the percentage of how much is trapped by the filter decreases.

At 3500 RPM, I imagine extremely small particulates will act like super-fine grade sand paper over time. It is these extremely fine particulates that are most likely to escape the oil filter. Not 100% of them will escape of course, but I'd imagine the amount would exceed 20% (wild guess). Based on this totally assumed number lets further speculate a good magnet will trap enough particles to knock the 20% number down to 3%. All of these numbers are totally made up for the purpose of this discussion. I could be 100% wrong

The other issue is mileage. By 100k is the damage caused by fine particulates already done or can further damage be prevented at this late stage of the engine's life? So admittedly there are several unknowns. With that being said, I spend $30 on dinner alone. With a date that goes up to $75 easily. So for me a one-time investment of ~ $30 is worth the purchase. If the cost were $300 per drain plug I'd want more assurances.

As Duro points out; Is it possible to damage the oil pan by over torqueing? I think so. The next question is how likely is that to happen. This leads to two main questions:

What is the cost to benefit ratio? What is the benefit to burden ratio? Both are subjective.

- LINKS -

2011 MCS Magnetic Drain Plug Pics @4500 miles
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...500-miles.html

FIGS Engineering - Differential drain plug
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-539eDVNx_A...0/DSC08574.JPG

FIGS Engineering Blog webpage
http://figsengineering.blogspot.com/...-lock-tcd.html

Bavauto
http://blog.bavauto.com/wp-content/u...in_Plug_01.jpg

Interesting Point Here (not a BMW though):

"...actually recently had a first hand experience recently on an advantage of a magnetic oil drain bolt -- we run a ITA class Integra and we run the magnetic drain plugs in both the transmission and oil pan. during a recent oil change we found what looked like the leftovers of a small spring -- it took us a while to figure out exactly what it was but turned out to be the spring from the top of a valve stem seal -- pulled the valve cover and found 4 of them in total actually missing, this was all in a freshly built engine so it aided us in finding the problem before it turned into possibly something bigger"
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ate-begin.html

Last edited by seemyad; 11-28-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 AM
BMW ****ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLE39 View Post
I own a assortment of click and beam torque wrench. I torque my filter cap and drain plug to the OEM spec of 25 Nm. Not LB ft. Nm. In diffs magnets are great too! Telling you guys... Magnets should be stock in all systems. Cheap bean counters did away with them. Remember the particles the magnet picks up may be small enough to not get picked up by the filter. Just a thought. for $15 I run my Gold Plug! And the Mann filter kit comes with a new Oring and copper drain plug gasket. Works out great.

Gold plug are great guys. I had VAC motorsports send a new drain plug for their billet aluminum 335i diff to Gold plug. Gold plug put a monster magnet on it and send it out to me. When I was breaking in the OS Giken diff .... it worked. Caught all the break-in material. You can't even make the argument the oil filter will catch the particles in a diff! The magnetic plugs from the parts stores work, but they are not even close to the strength. Obviously magnets are really there for people looking to get maximum life out of products.
Never heard of Gold Plug. Thanks for the info. Let us know if you find out how they compare to Dimples in strength and price. Its always good to have options.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 PM

http://goldplug.com/

^ Here they are. Their pricing is much more realistic. $15/plug on average. I don't think I'd pay $30+. I've run so many of their plugs in multiple cars and nothing but steller performance and reasonable prices.

'07 Honda Accord 5spd manual. Engine & Trans.
'08 Lincoln MKZ. Engine & Trans.
'07 335i engine, trans & Diff.
'03 530i Engine and soon diff & trans.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM
BMW ****ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLE39 View Post
http://goldplug.com/

^ Here they are. Their pricing is much more realistic. $15/plug on average. I don't think I'd pay $30+. I've run so many of their plugs in multiple cars and nothing but steller performance and reasonable prices.

'07 Honda Accord 5spd manual. Engine & Trans.
'08 Lincoln MKZ. Engine & Trans.
'07 335i engine, trans & Diff.
'03 530i Engine and soon diff & trans.
Thanks for the information. Id like to compare specs. I like what I've read about Dimples Magnets so far. Although Dimple Magnetic Drain Plugs cost more than the Gold Magnetic Plugs I'm going to stick with them.

I'm glad you have introduced a less expensive alternative. When I take time to read more about the Gold Plugs I may make the switch for future purchases. Ill see if I can find any comparisons between Gold and Dimples. At this point I have nothing negative to say about either one.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: Compact
Are magnetic sump plugs worth buying??
How do you make a New Thread please?
Cant find it on the menu.
Thank you
Old 01-17-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: Compact
How about these ones?

http://shop.motorsport-developments....2x15-786-p.asp
Old 01-17-2013, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4wgb View Post
How do you make a New Thread please?
Cant find it on the menu.
Thank you
There is a blue/grey button named "NEW THREAD" on the left side of the forum page, directly opposite the row of page numbers. Click that and type away.