Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 323ci
Exclamation In need of some serious help

I'm having ahard time figuring out why my car won't start. (I have the 00 323ci). The one thing that's strange is when I take out the key the radio, dash and windows are still on.
But the worst part is that the car won't start. Maybe the battery's doesn't have enough charge since the windows and everything stayed on but when I try to start the car I don't hear a click from the starter. I get nothing. Can anyone help me. Or call me. If I can't get to work I might loose my job
Ads by Google
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25det View Post
I'm having ahard time figuring out why my car won't start. (I have the 00 323ci). The one thing that's strange is when I take out the key the radio, dash and windows are still on.
But the worst part is that the car won't start. Maybe the battery's doesn't have enough charge since the windows and everything stayed on but when I try to start the car I don't hear a click from the starter. I get nothing. Can anyone help me. Or call me. If I can't get to work I might loose my job
Could be either a failing battery, your starter, or fuel pump. Take the battery out, get a ride, and have your local auto parts store check it a recharge it. If that doesn't solve the problem, its your fuel pump or starter - either of which you'll need a shop to fix if you aren't a DIYer. If the problem goes away after taking the battery to your auto parts store and then the problem later returns, it is more than likely your alternator.

Member No. 470379
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 AM

If its failing battery, its because some how I still have power after I take out the key. The first thing I'm going to do is charge the battery but its only going to die again cause of this power issue. I have to figure out why my power stays on when I take the key out. The funny thing is it started up fine last night
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
If its failing battery, its because some how I still have power after I take out the key. The first thing I'm going to do is charge the battery but its only going to die again cause of this power issue. I have to figure out why my power stays on when I take the key out. The funny thing is it started up fine last night
Do you have an a DICE unit connected to the head unit? Its known to be a power drain. If you don't though, just turn the radio off manually and see if that keeps the battery from draining.

Member No. 470379
Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Having a weak/failing battery can cause all sorts of weird, seemingly unrelated problems. Continuing to drive on a weak battery can also damage the alternator, so it`s a good idea to replace a dying battery ASAP.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 AM

Thank god

I checked the fuses and it was the starter interlock #14 that was missing. So now should I care if all the power stays on after I take out the key?

Last edited by rb25det; 01-13-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank god

I checked the fuses and it was the starter interlock #14 that was missing.
I'm not sure about your vehicle, as it differs for each, but some of those fuses are missing for a reason. Chances are, your car never had that fuse to begin with, so it isn't your problem.

Member No. 470379
Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
I'm not sure about your vehicle, as it differs for each, but some of those fuses are missing for a reason. Chances are, your car never had that fuse to begin with, so it isn't your problem.
Your absolutely right. Let me start from the begin. I bought this car thinking the engine didn't get hot enough because it was a short test drive anyway I bought the car and the temp needle doesn't work so I've always had a fear that the car is overheating or will over heat. Since the temp gauge doesn't work. ( in the process of getting one). I am monitoring the temp on the LCD on the instrument cluster, I always see it in the 110s 112s I'm thinking maybe the fans not coming on. Also I see that that low coolant light was lit. Anyway long story short I need up killing my fan when the problem was the expansion tank. Trying to finger out the problem I took all he fuses out and might have put one where they don't belong.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Prowlin

Mein Auto: 2004 325ci
Fondle your wires behind the fuse box I always suggest this to cars older than 10 years. Never know
Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
Your absolutely right. Let me start from the begin. I bought this car thinking the engine didn't get hot enough because it was a short test drive anyway I bought the car and the temp needle doesn't work so I've always had a fear that the car is overheating or will over heat. Since the temp gauge doesn't work. ( in the process of getting one). I am monitoring the temp on the LCD on the instrument cluster, I always see it in the 110s 112s I'm thinking maybe the fans not coming on. Also I see that that low coolant light was lit. Anyway long story short I need up killing my fan when the problem was the expansion tank. Trying to finger out the problem I took all he fuses out and might have put one where they don't belong.
You should have a diagram in your fuse box to help you, though it doesn't state which fuses you should or shouldn't have. As for the temp. gauge, that could either be a bad coolant temp. sensor or the instrument cluster, which is expensive, and I believe has to be programmed at a dealer. I would start with the sensor. I don't know of anyone have similar problems with the instrument cluster.

If you'll post the year, model, and manufacture date of your car, someone may be able to take a pic of their fuse box for you to compare to.

Member No. 470379
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Well the problem with the power staying on, I believe has to do with a malfunction with the ignition. The ignition has 4 positons 1. Off 2. Accessories 3. Prime and 4.start. It seems like I have 5. 1. Accessories 1 1/2. Off 2. Accessories 3. Prime 4.prime 5. Start. .
So which means when I'm driving I can move the key from position 4 to position 3 and it will still say on. Im not sure if its the ignition or something.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Fuse Chart
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fuse chart:e46.pdf (164.2 KB, 15 views)