Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: X5
03 X5 4.4 Transmission Fail Safe Mode

Hope someone can shed some light on this before my wallet is fleeced. Here is what happens when I drive the X5. In the morning when I drive the car to work which is some stop and go and freeway for 30 minutes the car always runs great. Here is where there is a problem. The next time I drive to lunch or home the car will go into the Transmission Fail safe Mode one, twice or as of yesterday 6 times. I pull over turn off the engine then restart the car. I will drive for a while and then boom, it happens again. The crazy thing is that this can happen for a week and then its gone for a week or two. With all the problems I have had I don't want to through money at this without a plan. I have already spent 5k on this in the past 10 months and I'm low on funds. Here are the other problems I need to address but I think this would be the most pressing. Starter going out, DSC control coming one. When I break sometimes you can feel the DSC, Leaking anti freeze, dead key, so on and so one. PLEASE give me your ideas on fixing this. The Transmission Fail safe mode is first on the list. Thanks Eric

Had it on a DIS machine and was told the code coming up is a speed sensor. I'm afraid I will have that fixed and it won't take care of it.
Advertisement