Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Loud Valve tick 04 x3 2.5I

As the title states I am dealing with an 04 x3 2.5I that has developed a nasty bit of valve tick. It has long suffered from leaky valve cover cyndrome and has seen 5 gasket replacements and a new CCv with hoses. Now just yesterday after I took it for a drive I noticed the valves ticking very loudly. The car is not mine but I help maintain it. So I checked the oil level and it was not even on the dipstick. It took 2.5 quarts to bring it normal. The owner intends to replace the valve cover and gasket in a few months but I fear it is not worth it at all with 170,000 miles. Generally speaking the engine is not in good health. It cranks a long time to start in the morning and sounds tired. To me this sounds like the engine's swan song. I really need some feed back on this one. All the other cars I work on are American, mostly dodge and jeep, so this engine and its habits when old are as forign to me French.
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: E36
Sounds like it has been poorly maintained. The valve cover is not where you are losing 2.5 quarts of oil on this car. 5 valve cover replacements is absolutely ridiculous. Most likely, at that mileage, the oil is leaking out of the gasket at the base of the oil filter housing. The valve ticking is very likely caused by the engine being run on low oil and may now require some valve/lifter work. If you have a place you keep taking it, take it somewhere else that specializes in these cars. There are a few common spots of oil loss on that year and the valve cover is a comparably minor one.