Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 10-13-2013, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 1984 733i
How can I get my heat back on 733i?

Hello--

New to this forum. I have a 1984 733i that probably has 450K on it....The only thing that has been replaced is the water pump. I had the transmission rebuilt in 1995 because I by the time I changed the fluid, I had waited waaay too long.

Anyway, I have kept the car on full heat setting for years because the last time I had turned the temp setting to cool, it almost didn't make it back to providing heat....and that time it made a clanking sound when the heat was coming back on.

Now, it just blows room temperature, no matter what setting it is on (up/down, auto, etc).

Heater control valve?

Heater diverter valve?

Not sure, but for one of them which is located in the engine compartment, top passenger side on the firewall, I took the hose off and found nothing blocking or closed in there. I flushed that system out with a hose (some darker gunk came out too) and refilled with proper coolant after it was flowing clear water. No luck.

I don't have the bucks right now to fix, the rest of the car runs great. Operating temp is normal, drives fine. No coolant leaks inside the car foot wells or on the ground.

I'm hoping for an easy fix suggestion that will let me keep the heat flowing on the floor at all times. I don't need to adjust anything for cabin temp. Something I can do myself that won't cost me anything. I don't mind bypassing valves if need be.

Thanks!

Last edited by JustKeepsOnGoin; 10-13-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Advertisement