Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Bob

Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2013
328i 2013 Technology Package- Playlists

How many distinct playlists does the technology package allow? I thought it was 4, but, it appears to be only 3?
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
First off, welcome aboard.

If by Playlists you are referring to iPod or iPhone Playlists, those are infinite.

Are you referring to playlists from the internal hard drive?

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Bob

Thanks BJ for the welcome. Yes, I was referring to how many playlists I could save to hard-drive.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicorro View Post
Thanks BJ for the welcome. Yes, I was referring to how many playlists I could save to hard-drive.
I don't want to derail your thread or get preachy, but consider getting a used iPod Touch off of Craigslist as the BMW and Apple integration that you've already paid for is leaps and bounds better than the built in hard drive. Naming conventions, file management, folder depth, all these manual-management disk drive things can be avoided by using iTunes for organization and an old iPod for storage.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
I think you can have as many playlists on the hard drive a you like. I have about 40 on mine.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 35d
Hmmm...I haven't come across saving playlists to the HDD in the manual. How do you go about doing this?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Bob

I just load my powerstick with 150 or so mp3, insert the powerstick into the USB connector in the glove compartment and then select IMPORT in External Drive option.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 PM

I use a free program called 'iTunes to MP3 converter' which copies all my iTunes playlists to a folder as MP3 files, then I copy the whole lot to a USB stick then import to the F30 hard drive. Works great but no album art.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
I use a free program called 'iTunes to MP3 converter' which copies all my iTunes playlists to a folder as MP3 files, then I copy the whole lot to a USB stick then import to the F30 hard drive. Works great but no album art.
Playlists are a specific file format that many players (e.g. iTunes) read to play the referenced MP3 files. I have copied ~10GB of MP3 files to the HDD, which iDrive will do using its import function. I had not seen any reference to it importing playlist files nor anywhere in the iDrive menu where one can choose to display (or search) playlists.

What you're describing appears to be a folder, or folders, containing the MP3 files referenced by a playlist, which are copied to the iDrive HDD, rather than an actual playlist being copied to the HDD which is then used by iDrive.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Bob

Yes, thanks. How many folders are allowed? I thought 4.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Yes, thanks. How many folders are allowed? I thought 4.
Just save 10+ folders in an USB stick and try to import them... you will know then.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Playlists are a specific file format that many players (e.g. iTunes) read to play the referenced MP3 files. I have copied ~10GB of MP3 files to the HDD, which iDrive will do using its import function. I had not seen any reference to it importing playlist files nor anywhere in the iDrive menu where one can choose to display (or search) playlists.

What you're describing appears to be a folder, or folders, containing the MP3 files referenced by a playlist, which are copied to the iDrive HDD, rather than an actual playlist being copied to the HDD which is then used by iDrive.
I also copied about 10Gb of MP3 files to the HDD, but using this program they are sorted into folders and each folder is an iTunes playlist, in the correct order. So it works perfectly I can scroll through my playlists by name on the HDD and play them. Seems a good solution to me.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
I also copied about 10Gb of MP3 files to the HDD, but using this program they are sorted into folders and each folder is an iTunes playlist, in the correct order. So it works perfectly I can scroll through my playlists by name on the HDD and play them. Seems a good solution to me.
Found a description of 'iTunes to MP3 converter' which explains it reads your iTunes playlists and creates a folder for each with the referenced song files. So what you're seeing in iDrive are the folders, not playlists.

However, when you say "...in the correct order.", do you mean the songs appear in the same order as they do in your playlist within iTunes? If so, does it retain the exact same titles? I ask because my experience to date indicates that while iDrive reads the song titles from the file tags, it does not use the track number tag, instead sorting songs alphabetically by title.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Found a description of 'iTunes to MP3 converter' which explains it reads your iTunes playlists and creates a folder for each with the referenced song files. So what you're seeing in iDrive are the folders, not playlists.

However, when you say "...in the correct order.", do you mean the songs appear in the same order as they do in your playlist within iTunes? If so, does it retain the exact same titles? I ask because my experience to date indicates that while iDrive reads the song titles from the file tags, it does not use the track number tag, instead sorting songs alphabetically by title.
Yes songs are in the correct order same as the iTunes playlist