Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
GLLOQ

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
Inside rearview mirror question

I note that the inside rearview mirror in my 2001 Z3 Roadster has what appears apparently to be some kind of a wiring connection. Looking through the archived postings, it's not clear what this might be for -- a self-dimming mirror? A stabilizing stand-off? My mirror has the normal to-and-fro swinging lever at the bottom for day/night mirror use.

If anyone has the self-dimming mirror, how does one determine that it's working correctly? I've noted mention in the archives of the company that rebuilds said mirrors for $90.

Advertisement
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: Ford Explorer
Not sure but...

I am not sure but it seems like I read here somewhere that Z3 M's have self dimming mirrors while non M's do not. However, the wiring harness is the same so the connection is there if you want to retrofit your non-M with an M style self dimming mirror.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM
GLLOQ

Q re Z3 wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy21 View Post
I am not sure but it seems like I read here somewhere that Z3 M's have self dimming mirrors while non M's do not. However, the wiring harness is the same so the connection is there if you want to retrofit your non-M with an M style self dimming mirror.
Re a Z3's wiring harness. Was each harness built to order at manufacture, or are they all alike? Are there connectors that are simply not used, e.g., heated seats, etc. My 2001 Z3 is a base model, analog clock and the like. What can be upgraded, if anything?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: Ford Explorer
I'm not sure

I'm not sure so maybe some others will chime in here. I can tell you that I worked as an Engineer in the auto industry for a time. Based on my experience auto makers work diligently to minimize the number of SKU's (stock keeping units) or unique part numbers because it adds costs to the supply chain that outweigh the benefit of saving $0.02 on a connector. I would be willing to bet that there are less than 5 total wiring harness variants for these cars with each of them being maxed out with options whether the car has it or not.

If you check under your seat you can probably see what if any open connectors there are. If you compare that to Realoem.com for your VIN number then you can get a pretty good idea.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 2.5 Roadster
I believe that contained in the rear view mirror is the support circuitry for the remote door key.
I know that's true for my 2002 Z3 2.5l roadster. Not sure about your year.

Fred
Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM

+1 on the wireless remote antenna in the rearview mirror. I have a 2001 and it is there.