Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Manual
X3 (and others) Dirty Windshield/Streakiness

No matter how hard I try (frequent washing, etc) my windshield always seems to have a film on it. Whenever it's raining and the wipers are running, there are zillions (that's a real technical phrase) of patchy spots on the windshield that instantly film up again immediately after the blade sweeps by.

I've tried incessant washing, different washer fluids, etc., to no avail. I cleaned the blades, too. Is this some kind of hydrophobic coating from BMW? It's driving me crazy. The only time it goes away is when there is a prolonged heavy rain and then it seems to clear up.

Any ideas? I had a similar problem with my old E30 - despite INSIDE and OUTSIDE cleaning it stayed filmy.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
I used to use "SoftScrub" cleaner on it when it got like that, didn't harm the glass and was crystal clear for a log time after.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 05-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Old trick when washing any window. Use newspaper and simple vinegar.

Never streaks.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:35 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Sounds like you've got something on the glass that window cleaner won't remove.

If you can find some, try Glass wax. It hasn't been made in years.

There was a good unopened can on eBay awhile back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unopened-16-oz-c...QQcmdZViewItem

There are some modern comparable products but I haven't used any of them.

Also get new wiper blades from the dealer. They may be contaminated with the same stuff.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I use Stoner's Invisible Glass with newspaper to clean the windshield and windows. I'm guessing there's stuff on the windshield that's making them streak.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 PM
archrenov8

Mein Auto: '08 X3 since April '08
There was a lot of talk about this same phenom on the VW Vortex site. The solutions were:

A. Use a clay bar to clean the glass, after normal cleaner with a Windex type product.

Or:
B. Carefully clean the window with the Super Fine grade of steel wool (#0000) and a liquid cleaner like Windex, rubbing carefully in circles. Just be careful not to leave any shavings of steel wool, or to hit the body paint.

Either method removes the build-up of spray-on wax that you get in car washes.

I would generally do the steel wool. Once you do this, you get a month or two of quiet, streak-free wiping again.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I respectfully disgree with using steel wool. It will scratch the polymer surface that coats all windshields, no matter how fine a grade you use.

Try the newspaper. The paper has a very fine abrasion and the chemical compounds in the ink and bonding process of paper work as a catalyst with white vinegar to remove just about any sticky substance including bug goo and road tar.

The clay bar I have never tried.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:40 AM
archrenov8

Mein Auto: '08 X3 since April '08
I wil tell you that the steel wool was a recommendation from several VW SA's.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I respectfully disgree with using steel wool. It will scratch the polymer surface that coats all windshields, no matter how fine a grade you use.

Try the newspaper. The paper has a very fine abrasion and the chemical compounds in the ink and bonding process of paper work as a catalyst with white vinegar to remove just about any sticky substance including bug goo and road tar.

The clay bar I have never tried.
+1 Another method is cut a lemon in half rub it on your windshiels and blades and then rinse it off with water. He might want to get a new set of blades also, the are free with the 4 year maintainence.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 05-14-2008, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Alpine White X3 2.5i
I've found that Duragloss New Glass works great. Apply it like a wax, hand buff it off, wash, and follow that up with a coat of wax. It takes all the film and water spots off and leaves it clear.

http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=303
Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Glass Wax was the best! I can't believe they stopped making it. Newspapers and white vinegar or a lemon sliced in half work well too, just use the black and white pages, not the slick ad pages.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 30i
Have you considered treating the glass after cleaning it? Unprotected glass will be easily compromised within a few days. RainX is nice, but my personal experience is that you need to treat the glass every 2 to 3 weeks. It makes the blades work much better though.

I bought a few applicators of Aquapel. Supposedly works for months. Have yet to put it on though as I'm waiting til this last application of RainX wears off.

+1 to AzN... Stoner's and newspaper
Old 05-17-2008, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbirkholz View Post
No matter how hard I try (frequent washing, etc) my windshield always seems to have a film on it. Whenever it's raining and the wipers are running, there are zillions (that's a real technical phrase) of patchy spots on the windshield that instantly film up again immediately after the blade sweeps by.

I've tried incessant washing, different washer fluids, etc., to no avail. I cleaned the blades, too. Is this some kind of hydrophobic coating from BMW? It's driving me crazy. The only time it goes away is when there is a prolonged heavy rain and then it seems to clear up.

Any ideas? I had a similar problem with my old E30 - despite INSIDE and OUTSIDE cleaning it stayed filmy.

Thanks
A while back, in another German car, I had to have my windshield replaced after it was hit by a rock. The new windshield had just what you're describing and like yours only visible when it was wet. No matter what I used -- many things suggested already, though not the clay bar or steel wool -- I couldn't get it off. I took it back to the glass shop that did the replacement and they told me it (if I remember correctly) was the adhesive from one step in the glass production process, I think when the glass was being transported or moved or something like that. They used some sort of wax/compound like substance to remove it. They basically put it on, let it dry like a wax, and then buffed it off. Worked great. You might try contacting a glass dealer to see if they can suggest a similar product.

Griots has a glass polish that might work too:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1

but I can't vouch for it.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:35 AM
roys4x4

Mein Auto: 06 X3,95LR Disco,90 F250
INFORMATION I GOT AFTER THE SUGGESTION ON THIS THREAD. IT REALLLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Thank you for contacting ITW Global Brands! If you would like to remove a Rain-X application at any time, we recommend that you use the following products:

1. Rain-X Xtreme Clean
2. Soft Scrub All Purpose Cleanser

They can be found at Walmart or Pep Boys. We recommend using a clean cloth or rag and warm water.

Please let us know if there is something else that we can help you with, and we would be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Alex
--
ITW Global Brands
Office of Consumer Services
Houston, Texas USA"

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2014 11:38 AM
To: Information
Subject: ckeaning windshiels

Subject: ckeaning windshiels

Message Body:
I bought a used 2006 bmw x3 and used your products original rainx and the spray bottle of rainx cleaner. from day one the windshield has a film on it that will not come off. I expect the rainx original I used just covered what ever was on the windshield to start . do you have any suggestion to get to the glass without anything on it so I can apply a proper rainx coat thanks roy

Last edited by Roys4x4; 09-23-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: additional experience
Old 09-23-2014, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
I suspect the film is caused by oil/gas that has left a petroleum residue on the glass.
Whenever I'd take a long trip, I'd have a bit of dishwashing liquid with me to cut the grease on the window and wipers before doing a final clean with Windex. You have to use something that will dissolve the oil first. Try warm water & regular dishwashing liquid on window and wiper blades.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
white vinegar

but keep it off the paint
Old 09-25-2014, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
I used this product on all of my cars... Aquapel Glass Treatment By PGW

Bought it on amazon. Great stuff!!
Old 09-26-2014, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: X3, A6, Maxima, Jetta
I have used Bon Ami to clean windshields in the past

http://www.bonami.com/index.php/prod...wder_cleanser/
Old 09-26-2014, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Si 3.0
Have you tried using laundry detergent? the powdered kind? like Tide or sunlight? That stuff works on everything.

I've used it for cleaning the windows once.
Also works wonders on a bathtub.