Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-02-2015, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
Wheel and Tire Question

Hello all,

I'm thinking about changing out the wheels on my 2007 X3 sport model. Right now I am running the 19" OEM staggered set up with Continental Extreme DWS. It has 245/45/19 on the fronts with 275/50/19 on the rear.

The tires have 25K miles on them. The fronts have 1-1.5 years left while the rears will need to be replaced in about 4 months. I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time as it only has 99K on it and it has never (knock wood) given me an ounce of trouble. Hands down the most reliable car I have ever owned. Truth be told, I am obsessive about maintenance so I suspect that has had a big role. I love the Contis, but they are expensive. I just don't drive my car like I used to with two young children now so I'm looking for something with comfort as the top priority.

I have thought about changing out the sport wheels to either the 18 OEM sport wheels or the 17 OEM wheels the idea being that if I can get four tires of the same size, I could rotate them and get longer life. I know the BMW manual says don't rotate, but every Indy BMW mechanic I have spoken with says that's ridiculous.

Has anyone else done something similar? Thanks for your input all.
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Interesting that you run staggered tire specs. I thought the AWD system wanted square setups?
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 06-02-2015, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
Hi jdauria,

The staggered set up is the stock 19" wheel option on the sport model. The AWD system is really only finicky about tire/wheel circumferences across all wheels rather than tire widths.

All four wheels/tires are within a centimeter of circumference with one another. The staggered set up in this case refers to the rear wheels being wider than the front wheels.