Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport line
The Xenons Have Arrived

.... and a nice Alpine White 328xi came with them.
Sport Line
DHP
Sport Auto
Lighting Package
Comfort Package
Technology Package
HK Stereo
Heated front seats

I picked it up from the dealer today. The weather broke enough that I was able to get a look at the car in the sunlight. I could find nothing wrong with the car. have not had a chance to drive it much but these are my initial impressions on the drive home from the dealer.

I got the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S tires, I was hoping for the Contis. I'll be swapping in Pilot SS for my summer tires in a week or so.

The Xenons are worth all the hassle I had to go through to get them! I love the adaptive lighting. Night driving was a pleasure, and the car looks so good at night with the lights on.

The car's acceleration is sure and smooth. Shifts are very crisp except I think 3-4, does not seem as sharp at medium throttle but is ok at WOT, even when I do it myself, seems to sort of slip into gear. I need to test this more.

HUD is great. I like being able to see my speed at all times and having turn instructions from the Nav makes following the directions so much easier. First use of the Nav it seems pretty good to me, giving good and well timed instructions.

At first I was disappointed with the HK stereo. It sounded kind of muffled to me. I then found that the dealer had turned on the surround sound setting. I turned that off, and with the EQ flat I was very pleased. Sounds best to me faded to the rear a couple extra ticks. Bass is very crisp and punchy. Overall the sound is very clear.

I definitely have the wind noise, at about 60 mph up, very noticeable. Not happy about this. But I need to go back for the ASS recode, I can ask about then.

I would not want the ride any harsher in sport mode. Coming from an A4 with a very stiff sport suspension, the BMW sport setting seems equivalent. Nice to be able to turn it off though and enjoy comfort mode once and a while, couldn't do that in the A4. I have not pushed it in turns yet since the tires are new, so I can't really comment on how well the suspension controls the car.

It seems to me the suspension generates a kind of rattle sound over hard bumps. I need to look into this more. It's that kind of feeling when your control arms are going bad and they start to clunk. It's not very bad, but unexpected. This is my first drive with DHP so I am not sure what I am experiencing. This is not the clunking reported by others, at least I don't think so. I get the distinct impression it is coming from the suspension and not the interior.

A little bit of tick tick from the 4 cylinder while idling, but the wind up of the engine sound when accelerating is very nice.

the leather interior smells so good. The glossy black trim looks really good but it will show scratches and prints very quickly I can tell. The all weather sport line floor mats with the red trim really set the interior off (I have the red trim stripe too).

I noticed the deceleration/coming to a stop issue reported by some with the AT. It happens just when you are about maybe 5-10 mph and the transmission shifts down and the car suddenly slows. I think it just takes some getting used to. Your are expecting to come to a smooth stop and then the car lugs down and slows unexpectedly, as if the downshift was not really required. Not sure.

Brakes could be a little higher in the pedal for my taste. I don't recall noticing this during my test drive. I'll get used to it.

I was having trouble finding artists from my ipod once connected. I didn't find the interface for music selection very intuitive but I am sure I will figure it out.

I was able to make calls from the car to a bluetooth connected iphone with no problem, although I think the sound clarity for callers hearing my voice may not be as good through the car mic as it is talking into the iPhone, even when parked.

At the dealership after setting everything up we lost it all when trying to save a profile with my name. I don't know what happened. We did it all over again and it worked the second time.

I learned from my CA that I was setting my wing mirrors too close in to the car, not making the best use of being able to see into my blind spots. You learn something everyday.

I got a full tank of gas and other goodies thrown in. JMK is a great dealership, they were very nice to me, did not push any extras at me, just a polite question on each. It was the best car buying (leasing) experience I have every had. My CA, Mark Carvalho, was really great. I highly recommend him..

There are so many gadgets on this car. It is a gadget freak's dream come true. I had to force myself to get out of the car parked in the driveway and come inside to get ready for bed. I can spend the next few months messing around with everything.

But overall - the car is so fun to drive! I'll post some pics soon. If I were the type to name my cars, I'd call this one Xena, get it?

Last edited by terryn; 05-09-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Added CA name, he deserves
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Congratulations.
Now, post some pictures!

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: '13 C63 AMG Sedan
Whaaaaaaat? No pics?

All joking aside, congratulations on what sounds/reads like a beautiful new F30.

'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 PM

Pictures

Ok, I didn't want to post these, I just snapped a couple at the dealer with my phone. But here is a first peek.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	375538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	375539  
Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryn View Post
The Xenons are worth all the hassle I had to go through to get them!
So I picked up my F30 last weekend, and I have the xenons after having halogens in my last car. I have to say, yes, it's worth it

I absolutely love them.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Congrats!

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 05-08-2013, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Nice !

Quote:
.... and a nice Alpine White 328xi came with them.
Sport Line
DHP
Sport Auto
Lighting Package
Comfort Package
Technology Package
HK Stereo
Heated front seats

I picked it up from the dealer today. The weather broke enough that I was able to get a look at the car in the sunlight. I could find nothing wrong with the car. have not had a chance to drive it much but these are my initial impressions on the drive home from the dealer.

I got the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S tires, I was hoping for the Contis. I'll be swapping in Pilot SS for my summer tires in a week or so.

The Xenons are worth all the hassle I had to go through to get them! I love the adaptive lighting. Night driving was a pleasure, and the car looks so good at night with the lights on.

The car's acceleration is sure and smooth. Shifts are very crisp except I think 3-4, does not seem as sharp at medium throttle but is ok at WOT, even when I do it myself, seems to sort of slip into gear. I need to test this more.

HUD is great. I like being able to see my speed at all times and having turn instructions from the Nav makes following the directions so much easier. First use of the Nav it seems pretty good to me, giving good and well timed instructions.

At first I was disappointed with the HK stereo. It sounded kind of muffled to me. I then found that the dealer had turned on the surround sound setting. I turned that off, and with the EQ flat I was very pleased. Sounds best to me faded to the rear a couple extra ticks. Bass is very crisp and punchy. Overall the sound is very clear.

I definitely have the wind noise, at about 60 mph up, very noticeable. Not happy about this. But I need to go back for the ASS recode, I can ask about then.

I would not want the ride any harsher in sport mode. Coming from an A4 with a very stiff sport suspension, the BMW sport setting seems equivalent. Nice to be able to turn it off though and enjoy comfort mode once and a while, couldn't do that in the A4. I have not pushed it in turns yet since the tires are new, so I can't really comment on how well the suspension controls the car.

It seems to me the suspension generates a kind of rattle sound over hard bumps. I need to look into this more. It's that kind of feeling when your control arms are going bad and they start to clunk. It's not very bad, but unexpected. This is my first drive with DHP so I am not sure what I am experiencing. This is not the clunking reported by others, at least I don't think so. I get the distinct impression it is coming from the suspension and not the interior.

A little bit of tick tick from the 4 cylinder while idling, but the wind up of the engine sound when accelerating is very nice.

the leather interior smells so good. The glossy black trim looks really good but it will show scratches and prints very quickly I can tell. The all weather sport line floor mats with the red trim really set the interior off (I have the red trim stripe too).

I noticed the deceleration/coming to a stop issue reported by some with the AT. It happens just when you are about maybe 5-10 mph and the transmission shifts down and the car suddenly slows. I think it just takes some getting used to. Your are expecting to come to a smooth stop and then the car lugs down and slows unexpectedly, as if the downshift was not really required. Not sure.

Brakes could be a little higher in the pedal for my taste. I don't recall noticing this during my test drive. I'll get used to it.

I was having trouble finding artists from my ipod once connected. I didn't find the interface for music selection very intuitive but I am sure I will figure it out.

I was able to make calls from the car to a bluetooth connected iphone with no problem, although I think the sound clarity for callers hearing my voice may not be as good through the car mic as it is talking into the iPhone, even when parked.

At the dealership after setting everything up we lost it all when trying to save a profile with my name. I don't know what happened. We did it all over again and it worked the second time.

I learned from my CA that I was setting my wing mirrors too close in to the car, not making the best use of being able to see into my blind spots. You learn something everyday.

I got a full tank of gas and other goodies thrown in. JMK is a great dealership, they were very nice to me, did not push any extras at me, just a polite question on each. It was the best car buying (leasing) experience I have every had.

There are so many gadgets on this car. It is a gadget freak's dream come true. I had to force myself to get out of the car parked in the driveway and come inside to get ready for bed. I can spend the next few months messing around with everything.

But overall - the car is so fun to drive! I'll post some pics soon. If I were the type to name my cars, I'd call this one Xena, get it?

Congrats. As they say: Alls well , that ends Well ! Have fun. You are in for a treat .
You & BJ & Captain Audio will have to meet up for some spirited sprinting through New York &
New Jersey
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:

The xenon lights on this car, are amazing, especially the high-beams. I've never driven a car with such powerful (lumen output) headlights.

As for mirror adjustments....

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots
Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 AM

First stone chip

Well that didn't take long! The day after picking it up I had it our for two hours driving, with lots of time on I80 and the NJ turnpike. I got a stone chip at the very front edge of the hood. Sizable enough to be visible when standing back 8-10 feet looking at the car. I know it's inevitable, I just wish it would have taken longer than 24 hours.

I suppose that is one downside of a white car, the chips are very visible.