Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
I've had my F30 11 months no rattles at all.
There are always a few good ones.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Blackdog316

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
I have owned four BMW's. A 2002 ti that I had to put in a Weber two barrel carb to get some power, but it handled great, a 320i, a 733i, and now a 328i. We also have a 2011 Lexus ES350 which is smooth, reliable, and a horse on long trips, with good gas mileage. The bimmers have always been more fun, more maintenance, while the Lexus is a luxurious cruiser that is especially great for long trips. I also find the tech features on the loaded Lexus to be more intuitive then their German counterparts.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
I want to retract myself. Despite the better pics, I saw it in person and it is indeed very ugly.
haha....I could tell from that video I first saw. It has a very "weak chin" and is just generally very poorly proportioned. It's all about the viewing angles in real life and the photos don't convey the 3-D experience.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 AM

Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
Lexus engineers claim they have engineered this car from the ground up for better handling and performance, and it does seem they have been having some success in this regard.

For example, many, many reviewers agree that the Lexus GS is a very worthy competitor to the current 5 series, with equal or better handling, but much better reliability.

Not sure how you can pan this car when you haven't driven it....

I agree the front end on the F-sport is pretty ugly, the non-f sport model is fine.

But the interior, especially the quality of materials, is head and shoulders above the current three series (I just sat in both yesterday at Detroit Auto show, press preview).

Plus, this car will be much more reliable than its German counterparts.

Probably won't out handle the F30, but is much, much closer, as is the new Infiniti, and the new Cadillacs, and likely new products from Acura as well.

BMW has its hands full, and again many have said it has slipped a bit, especially with the current 5 series....

And Audi sales are going gangbusters....

So my point is, this competition is good for all of us....because the days of Lexus building cars for 70 year olds is changing.

If you haven't driven the new GS, try it....you might not like the styling, but every single review I've read pits it very favorably against the 5 series.

The same may be true with this IS...and we know that the CTS and ATS, even if you don't like their styling, have proven to be reliable, good handling and economical choices to the 3 series, whereas in the past they were a joke.

Things are changing....give Lexus a bit of credit....the new IS is much better than you may think.

Same goes for the new Infiniti.....the are struggling with brand identity, true, but if they hit a home run on a design, and offer it cheaper and more reliably, which they can do better than BMW.....BMW could be in real trouble.

They are getting pressure from all angles, including Audi, the Asians, etc.

I'll bet MB even steals some entry level buyers with its new CLA, although that's FWD.

I have to say that I love my 5-series. I cross shopped the competition excluding the Lexus because in my humble opinion it is underpowered. I think BMW hit a home run with the 5'er and its sales volume seems to agree.

Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500
Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by getz View Post
I have to say that I love my 5-series. I cross shopped the competition excluding the Lexus because in my humble opinion it is underpowered. I think BMW hit a home run with the 5'er and its sales volume seems to agree.
I did not really cross shop the 750i with Lexus. I had driven my cousins LS and I can see why he likes it but after an extended test drive of a 750 I was sold.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Two friends own the current IS. Both are scratching their heads about the design direction. Odd decision by toyota (also Infiniti uglying up the G replacement). The F30 is pretty invisible but it's not weird looking.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Lexus should not have gone full in with their ugly cooperate grille, they should have dip their toes in it to test the water first. Initial reaction to the GS350's grille was mostly negative, Lexus should have learn from that. As far as rattles in the F30, there are some reports of rattles but its not wide spread. When I had the F30 3 series for a day or so, it didnt feel that solid to me. Not 5 series and 7 series solid anyways. Some people are much more sensitive to rettles than others, I am border line OCD about rattles and how solid a car feels. Some friends of mine couldnt care less about rattles, even after I point out the small rattles, they claim they dont hear it. When I point out the really loud ones, they would say something to the affect of " You mean that little squeak, all cars have that, it doesnt bother me at all.

Last edited by The X Men; 01-19-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
I have reason to believe many of us Bimmer drivers are more OCD than others
Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
OK, I just chose that title to stir up trouble.

More of a problem for Audi, don't you think?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I have reason to believe many of us Bimmer drivers are more OCD than others
I agree. Those that are not OCD enough leave for other brands with less car trouble. For example, I put up with multiple instances of failed sending units when my car was new, but there was a guy that said he sold his car and bought a toyota. A friend of my sold his Bimmer because it was breaking a lot at 60-70K miles and got a Lexus instead. He says he misses the Bimmer but the Lexus is super reliable.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 0K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Previous Cars
Old 01-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
I don't think the 2014 Lexus IS will doom the F30 and I would say from the pics it looks good front/back/inside. I might test drive one just for kicks.

No rattles and buzzes yet but the brake squeak is there and so is the fun factor...for realiability look somewhere else.
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
27K mi Nov14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: '07 M35, '06 MX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Lexus should not have gone full in with their ugly cooperate grille, they should have dip their toes in it to test the water first. Initial reaction to the GS350's grille was mostly negative, Lexus should have learn from that. As far as rattles in the F30, there are some reports of rattles but its not wide spread. When I had the F30 3 series for a day or so, it didnt feel that solid to me. Not 5 series and 7 series solid anyways. Some people are much more sensitive to rettles than others, I am border line OCD about rattles and how solid a car feels. Some friends of mine couldnt care less about rattles, even after I point out the small rattles, they claim they dont hear it. When I point out the really loud ones, they would say something to the affect of " You mean that little squeak, all cars have that, it doesnt bother me at all.
The reaction to the GS's grill was negative, but Lexus is still selling the GS in the volumes they projected. Not to the extent that BMW sells the 5 series, but it met their expectations without a lot of discounting so the design... and especially the interior and driving experience... seems to have paid off for them. They seem to be going through the "Bangle era" design phase, where the exterior design may seem weird to some but the driving experience is great!

Last edited by dseag2; 01-19-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Japan used to make good looking cars, what happened?
It all started with the 2009 Acura TL and its hideous looking "beak-like" front grille. I thought that was just about the ugliest looking grille I ever saw--until Lexus came up with this one. If Lexus intended to make that awful TL grille appear better by comparison, I think they succeeded.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The worst part is that Acura is so stubborn that they are sticking with the bird beak grille. They have made some improvements, but the basic concept is still there.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
I sat in the "new" RLX 2014 and I can tell you that Acura will pursue its *disgrace*. It feels like a refreshed 1996 3.5RL.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryboysUDM View Post
I don't think the 2014 Lexus IS will doom the F30 and I would say from the pics it looks good front/back/inside. I might test drive one just for kicks.

No rattles and buzzes yet but the brake squeak is there and so is the fun factor...for realiability look somewhere else.
Did you mean brake squeak being a fun factor? How wide spread is it?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:22 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
With an ugly face like that the only IS customers live on another planet- Predators. Plus is it an ES, GS or IS, I can't tell the difference from the front they all look the same.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Plus is it an ES, GS or IS, I can't tell the difference from the front they all look the same.
As with BMW.

Carrying significant styling cues across a manufacturer's entire line is becoming standard.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
As with BMW.

Carrying significant styling cues across a manufacturer's entire line is becoming standard.
Of course with BMW it's been same sausage, three lengths virtually all along, excepting the E60/61 5er and the E65/66 7er. It has actually contributed to the iconic look and classic appeal of BMW through the years.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
As with BMW.

But BMWs look good across the board. It doesn't look like a predator or a charger. I can't even believe you would want to own that new IS pos. Give me the old IS look all day- both previous under-performing generations.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
But BMWs look good across the board. It doesn't look like a predator or a charger. I can't even believe you would want to own that new IS pos. Give me the old IS look all day- both previous under-performing generations.
Although I do agree at least in pictures, the IS design is too extreme, unless you live under the Roundel rock, you must be aware what you said about other brands is also common expression other brand drivers have for the BMWs.

When it comes to pure personal taste, it carries very little weight. Although I am not holding my breath the new IS will appeal to me, I am still willing to see that thing in person.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
But BMWs look good across the board.
They look OK; conservative, staid, not interesting enough to offend anyone.

I merely find it amusingly ironic - on a BMW forum - that a criticism of a competing manufacturer's cars is the other brand's vehicles all look the same.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW!
I have to chime in here.. The new IS is freakishly ugly.

I don't even think thats a subjective comment. I have a webber barbecue with a much nicer grill.

Go away!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Ac***** ******

Mein Auto: .
I agree that it looks pretty awful, but... There are plenty of potential customers who are into that overly aggressive looks:

Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba View Post
I have to chime in here.. The new IS is freakishly ugly.

I don't even think thats a subjective comment. I have a webber barbecue with a much nicer grill.

Go away!
I tried to figure out a name for this monstrosity. At first I thought of "opposing trapezoids" but that was much too kind. Then I hit on the one that describes it best--the "obese hourglass" grille.