Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Had 9 dyno pulls back to back within 2hp of each other. No heatsoak. If you are like me, you want more. Gains from a turbo car are low hanging fruit while gains from NA engines were small potatoes.
Maybe it is the N20 then. As far as turbos go, been there and done that. I want a high revving, no headaches NA engine unless I am leasing the car.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: '07 M35, '06 MX-5
I don't think the IS will doom the 3 Series, but according to C&D it should certainly give it a run for its money...

For the first poster who said it was about as fun as riding an elevator, I don't think so.

Last edited by dseag2; 05-07-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
I flipped through the Car and Driver article. The Lexus won over the BMW. BMW's numb electric, not hydraulic, steering was to blame.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
I flipped through the Car and Driver article. The Lexus won over the BMW. BMW's numb electric, not hydraulic, steering was to blame.
Which is odd, cause in Car and Driver's first drive of the Lexus they said the steering was completely lifeless. And that it was less fun that the previous IS, which wasn't much fun.

Quote:
Driven back-to-back with the current IS, the 2014 proved to be the more stable of the two. It's likely that overall grip has increased, but some of the IS's playfulness and character have been sacrificed to the holy trinity of NVH. It's a small difference and one that likely can be chalked up to the heavier GS-based architecture-the IS is up to 176 pounds heavier.
This was before some senior editor said "make sure it beats the 3 series in the comparo."

don't kid yourselves, Lexus makes boring cars, always have, always will. It takes them $400,000 to make a fun car.

Last edited by Chris90; 05-08-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
For a moment, forget about Lexus. Is BMW's steering improved or is hydraulic better?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Formula to keep readers engaged in your magazine:

Part 1 - Do a first drive article praising the car and find one critical item you are concerned about. Suggest that perhaps said critical item will be fixed as you are driving a pre-production car. Splash first drive headline across the top edge of the cover.

Part 2 - Feature said car in a 1 on 1 comparison test with the current darling of the class. Make sure it beats the car or comes close. Make points which contradict both the first drive and previous reviews of the comparison car. Wonder out loud if the current industry leader is losing its luster. Advertise this as front page news.

Part 3 - Do an 8 car comparison test inviting inferior competitors which hardly compete with the top three cars in the comparison. Again contradict yourself by having the industry darling win the comparison, claim it wasn't even close and place the new rival in 4th place.

This will happen with the IS
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
For a moment, forget about Lexus. Is BMW's steering improved or is hydraulic better?
"Verdict:
Handling? Check. Efficient and powerful? Check. Lousy tires? Check. Steering feel? Check, please."

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mw-328i-page-6

Unfortunately at the moment it is one of the worst in this segment.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 AM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
I suppose a Japanese psychiatrist once employed by Toyota was tasked with selling their Mercedes Benz knockoff to gullible Americans.
"Call it Lexus" was his solution, "it will remind the Americans of luxury!"
What is up with Lexus' signature "fat lady" grill I will never understand... It's fugly!

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
Formula to keep readers engaged in your magazine:

Part 1 - Do a first drive article praising the car and find one critical item you are concerned about. Suggest that perhaps said critical item will be fixed as you are driving a pre-production car. Splash first drive headline across the top edge of the cover.

Part 2 - Feature said car in a 1 on 1 comparison test with the current darling of the class. Make sure it beats the car or comes close. Make points which contradict both the first drive and previous reviews of the comparison car. Wonder out loud if the current industry leader is losing its luster. Advertise this as front page news.

Part 3 - Do an 8 car comparison test inviting inferior competitors which hardly compete with the top three cars in the comparison. Again contradict yourself by having the industry darling win the comparison, claim it wasn't even close and place the new rival in 4th place.

This will happen with the IS
Well said. There's a reason they give this magazine away to subscribers for like 50 cents an issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
"Verdict:
Handling? Check. Efficient and powerful? Check. Lousy tires? Check. Steering feel? Check, please."

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mw-328i-page-6

Unfortunately at the moment it is one of the worst in this segment.
The F30 steering has zero feel. The competition has zero feel. How is zero less than zero?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
The F30 steering has zero feel. The competition has zero feel. How is zero less than zero?
What's worse is the F30's feel is actually not as zero as the other zeroes.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
If we have learned nothing else here on Bimmerfest we have learned.

1. When BMW wins a magazine comparo it is because expert car savvy journalists recognize the superiority of BMW products.

2. When BMW loses a magazine Comparo it is because the magazine staff are a bunch of corrupt liars who were bribed into voting for a car that they all knew was vastly inferior to BMW products.

The bottom line is that that the F30 suspension and steering have almost universally criticized in the automotive press. I haven't seen any reviews that panned the car as a whole and some aspects of the F30 such as the new 4 cylinder engine and the 8 speed automatic have received almost universal praise. From all indiacations the F30 is n excellent car and a step forward from the E9x in many ways, but apparently not in all ways.

It appears that once BMW went to RFTs on the 3 Series they have had a hard time getting a balance between ride quality and performance. BMW is not the only manufacturer that is getting criticized for the feel of the electric power steering. The electric power steering on the new Porsche 911 has also received mixed reviews. In the ratings the BMW power train came in first (with the engine and transmission getting 10s - the highest possible rating) but the chassis ratings were last.

The Car and Driver article said: "Bumps that the Lexus absorbs and that the Cadillac shrugs off with a single succinct compression and rebound make the BMW pitch and roll and fight to stay on line". And the test car was equipped with the M-Sport package. They also said of the 335i "When engaged it is superbly balanced".

The bottom line is that all three are very good cars and each had areas they excelled but I would not discount the fact that the BMW was rated as less "fun to drive" than the other two. That does not mean that the F30 is not fun to drive but it does indicate that BMW has perhaps lost the edge that they once held in that area,

And no, the IS will not doom the 3 Series. The 3 Series is selling very well and will continue to sell very well and the vast majority of those who purchase one will not regret it.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 05-08-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
The only thing I've learned here is that Lexus' are re-badged Toyota's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
The only thing I've learned here is that Lexus' are re-badged Toyota's.
Well I suggest you do some studying because we are having a quiz.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Well I suggest you do some studying because we are having a quiz.

CA
Is the quiz going to be re-badged as a test? The new IS is a very nice piece of machinery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 05-08-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
....That does not mean that the F30 is not fun to drive but it does indicate that BMW has perhaps lost the edge that they once held in that area,
This seems to be part of a trend that started years ago? An old friend of mine once said that he can feel his E46 M3 run over a cigarette but his E36 M3 would've told him what brand.

Oh, and he added that his wife's E90 335 would go airborne after hitting the cigarette.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
This seems to be part of a trend that started years ago? An old friend of mine once said that he can feel his E46 M3 run over a cigarette but his E36 M3 would've told him what brand.

Oh, and he added that his wife's E90 335 would go airborne after hitting the cigarette.
BMW tailors towards the market. Cars are getting bigger and bigger to accommodate safety technology, and better fuel economy standards and the growing(stomach wise) American market.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:

I was heading north on the Sawmill River Parkway on Saturday. I was with a friend who had not been in my car (we were in the 335i) since I had installed the Koni FSDs and the Continental DWS. He commented on how much better the ride quality was. A 135 convertible went by us and hit when it was just ahead of us it hit a frost heave, My passenger said that he actually say the left rear wheel leave the pavement.

Road feel is a good thing but an overly stiff suspension is not. I would like to see C&D do the comparo again with an F30 with DHP.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Most of the competition here bested the F30 in this category. Only one that scored lower was the Volvo.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...ison-tests.pdf

It was bested by the Infinity, MB and Audi. Most recently and importantly you can also add the IS and ATS to that list.

Last edited by LegendsNeverDie; 05-08-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
What's worse is the F30's feel is actually not as zero as the other zeroes.
It is regarded as the worst, only ahead of the Volvo. See my post above.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:

That is why I really appreciate cars like the ATS or perhaps the upcoming S3/2 Series.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
Most of the competition here bested the F30 in this category. Only one that scored lower was the Volvo.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...ison-tests.pdf

It was bested by the Infinity, MB and Audi. Most recently and importantly you can also add the IS and ATS to that list.
Infiniti G25 gets a 10 for steering feel? It's on par with an E36 M3 then? Right.

Car and Driver is worthless. They were worthless back when they picked BMWs first as well.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:57 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M3
The IS instrument cluster is pretty cool though. It's straight from the LF-A.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Road feel is a good thing but an overly stiff suspension is not.

CA
Couldn't agree more. Some people want a "race" suspension on their car for bragging rights, but such people haven't driven on a race track. Tracks are smooth. Real roads are not. A hard suspension will cause tires to lose contact with the road on irregular surfaces, which is terrible for handling.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Infiniti G25 gets a 10 for steering feel? It's on par with an E36 M3 then? Right.

Car and Driver is worthless. They were worthless back when they picked BMWs first as well.
C & D is by far the best out of the mainstream magazines and is very much enthusiast oriented. They tell it how it is and some people get all upset. LOL! Kudos to C&D for their excellent reviews.