Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 528i
Driver front window

this morning i let my window down then it would only come up about a quarter way..also seems the window is now leaning forward a little bit.. I didnt hear anything snap or crack.. What i did notice it will go up and down fine from door to about a quarter of the way up.. From there it will not go up anymore..e Any suggestions or ways to fix this.. Thank you
Ads by Google
Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk17 View Post
this morning i let my window down then it would only come up about a quarter way..also seems the window is now leaning forward a little bit.. I didnt hear anything snap or crack.. What i did notice it will go up and down fine from door to about a quarter of the way up.. From there it will not go up anymore..e Any suggestions or ways to fix this.. Thank you
AFAIK, there is only one way to figure out what is wrong and that is to open up the door.

Luckily, most of us have gone before you and provided our lessons.

It's your job to read those lessons, and improve upon them, so the next person stands on your shoulders.

Start here:
- How to diagnose and replace a BMW E39 front driver side door window regulator (1) and how to remove a BMW E39 front passenger side door window regulator (1) (2) & the unintuitive trick to effortlessly loosen and tighten the astronomical cable tension without damaging the front door window regulator (1) & how to rebuild and restring your current E39 front door window regulator (1) & scores of pictures showing how NOT to remove & repair your front door window regulators (1) & what is the line unused connector in the front driver side door used for anyway (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 01-18-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:14 AM

yea i came across that post and read it...also came across your youtube video but i didnt see the exact symptoms but i believe your correct i wont really know till i take it off... i will do so and take necessary pics...
Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 PM

well im assuming its the window regulator or motor...not sure they are one in the same but the cracking and crumbling noise is coming from the motor part.. i think thats encased in the white plastic correct? it will go down all the way but only up and it sounds like something is broken or being broken inside there... anyone ever had this happen with the motor seemingly stopping at a certain point?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 PM

so i read a couple threads a guy had what appears to be same symptom i have..im into unnecessary salvaging of parts if any piece is broken i'd rather buy a whole new/used regulator... but what i havent seen is how to do the driver side front window regulator.. i read references to it but not actual procedure on removal/replacement.. any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Have you opened up the door yet to see what is inside? Do that first.

Sometimes, if the little rubber grips come off, the carriages that hold the glass can twist a little and get stuck on the track. That sounds like what you might have.

But best to open the door up and see first...no point in guessing.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 PM

i opened it up already thats why i know whats happening...the cracking and crumbling is coming from the motor ..nothing is off track.. i need a new regulator i know that...but i don't see procedure on how to replace it..
Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
im assuming its the window regulator or motor...not sure they are one in the same
The threads I pointed you to had probably 150 pictures, in toto, of the entire driver side door apparatus, with gory detail down to every part of the motor itself and each roller on the regulator.

Those threads show that you can buy the motor itself, or the regulator itself, or the combination of the two together (I gave gory details on prices for each from a bunch of suppliers).

Quote:
but the cracking and crumbling noise is coming from the motor part.. i think thats encased in the white plastic correct?
In the threads I pointed you to, I took apart the motor, the stator, the brushes, etc.

I even showed how to test the motor with a common 12V battery charger, and how to rewind the motor spools (so did MatWiz, whose threads are crosslinked with mine).

Quote:
it will go down all the way but only up and it sounds like something is broken or being broken inside there... anyone ever had this happen with the motor seemingly stopping at a certain point?
Nobody can tell you what it is until/unless you open it up.
Besides, even if you knew, you couldn't fix it without opening it up.
So, the advice is to open it up and snap a few pictures and/or videos.

Quote:
so i read a couple threads a guy had what appears to be same symptom i have..im into unnecessary salvaging of parts if any piece is broken i'd rather buy a whole new/used regulator...
Quote:
but what i havent seen is how to do the driver side front window regulator.. i read references to it but not actual procedure on removal/replacement.. any help is much appreciated.
I do not understand.

I provided you a picture of the removal of every single bolt. For example, for the top three bolts, I took three separate pictures. For the bottom two bolts, I took two separate pictures. I took a picture of every single clip on the door, down to the separate clips on the window trim piece, which is necessary to remove to get the window back in. I don't think you'll ever get MORE detail as to how to do the job. It's probably impossible to have more detail than what we've given you.

I disassembled the motor and the transmission case of the regulator, and showed probably two dozen pictures of the process, with every single possible thing taken apart pictured. You can not get a more comprehensive set of photographs (plus the diagrams) down to animated GIF creations of the way the sliders go on the little lead barrels. The only way to get more detail is to start sawing things apart because I snapped a photo of EVERYTHING possible to take apart, from the regulator to the motor to the transmission case to the spring-mounted tensioning mechanism. There's nothing left to take a picture of.

What can possibly be missing?

Quote:
i opened it up already thats why i know whats happening...the cracking and crumbling is coming from the motor ..nothing is off track.. i need a new regulator i know that...but i don't see procedure on how to replace it..
I'm sorry. I give up.

I wish you the best of luck.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 01-18-2013 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Added picture of disassembled motor from those threads ...
Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 AM

i appreciate your help and wealth of knowledge but you weren't specific as to what the links were...you didn't say it was the number 1 in your reply post....Again arent as straight forward as it might seem.. i dont know if your good luck was condescending or not but if it was bluebee i don't appreciate it.. Im not an expert and if i was im sure i'd still ask questions about something.. normally dont see numbers as links so its easy to overlook also it isnt highlighted in any way so it looks like regular text... but again thank u..im genuinely sayin thank u.