Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 328i xDrive
Eco Pro speed warning - for real

So I was fiddling with the Eco Pro mode speed warning option and found that to get 100% gas saving the warning needs to be kept at 50mph.

I thought that was conservative, and decided to make this short highway tip going about 49 mph.

I got 16K miles on this car and never got over 34mpg. I got 38mpg for this trip.

Great highway gas mileage, when you drive like slowpoke rodriguez.
 photo FullSizeRender.jpg
Old 01-18-2015, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post
Great highway gas mileage, when you drive like slowpoke rodriguez.
True for any car. The great thing about Eco Pro is that BMW gives you that option, if you ever want to use it. And if you don't, you still have the Sport mode to keep things interesting.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polite Canuck View Post
True for any car. The great thing about Eco Pro is that BMW gives you that option, if you ever want to use it. And if you don't, you still have the Sport mode to keep things interesting.
I was talking to a German couple this past October during my ED. He is driving a 535d, and in Germany they cannot disable Eco Pro. I've disabled mine and normally drive in "Luxury" mode, and turn on "Sport" periodically.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine-O View Post
I was talking to a German couple this past October during my ED. He is driving a 535d, and in Germany they cannot disable Eco Pro. I've disabled mine and normally drive in "Luxury" mode, and turn on "Sport" periodically.
I do not understand this. I think they may have been messing with you. Are you talking about start/stop? Eco pro does not have to be disabled. The car defaults to comfort mode until you select eco or sport.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:03 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPITT View Post
I do not understand this. I think they may have been messing with you. Are you talking about start/stop? Eco pro does not have to be disabled. The car defaults to comfort mode until you select eco or sport.
+1
DDC on a German market F10 should work the same way as a U.S. market car; namely, Comfort is the default setting and Sport+, Sport or Eco Pro can be selected by the user.

If indeed Eco Pro mode cannot be disabled on any current generation BMW automobile, it's defective.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M sport
Our car's have a Eco Pro setting?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcb777 View Post
Our car's have a Eco Pro setting?
Very funny. I think I use Eco Pro about 1 percent of the time and only on long boring trips. Eco Pro is nice in that situation because can actual coast down long downhill grades (doesn't work in Kansas or Florida for that matter ) The engine actually drops to 600 RPM and kicks in if you touch the brake or the gas pedal. I got 39 mpg from San Francisco to Idaho using this mode.

Now, back here in real day to day life, I use Sport suspension 100% coupled with Comfort throttle in town when there is traffic. DHP allows that option. I don't know if you can mix and match modes if you don't have DHP. When its open road I'm usually in Sport for suspension and throttle all the time.

Its truly 3 cars in one. I really like that.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: '15 S4, '15 328dX SW, GTI
Quote:
This has always been my point. I would much rather have a car that can get high MPG when I want, but then put the foot down and light my hair on fire too. I have gotten 37-38 out of my GTI before. Shift low, accelerate moderately and stay out of the turbo, easy as pie. That's econobox range fuel mileage......but when I put my foot down and let that turbo spool...... 0-60 closes in on 6 seconds and that's nothing like an econobox.
1983 Porchse 944
Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper3 View Post
This has always been my point. I would much rather have a car that can get high MPG when I want, but then put the foot down and light my hair on fire too. I have gotten 37-38 out of my GTI before. Shift low, accelerate moderately and stay out of the turbo, easy as pie. That's econobox range fuel mileage......but when I put my foot down and let that turbo spool...... 0-60 closes in on 6 seconds and that's nothing like an econobox.
I hear ya. I've never quite understood the resentment and anger over Eco Pro on this forum. Pretty simple to just not use it if you don't like it, but you've got to be one bitter old grump to get angry at it or at other people using it.

On a related note, you cannot really stay out of turbo on the F30, even in Eco Pro. It is designed to work throughout the RPM range thanks to Twin Scroll technology, which allows the turbo to spool up starting at very low engine speeds.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Novice driver

Quote:
I've never quite understood the resentment and anger over Eco Pro on this forum. Pretty simple to just not use it if you don't like it, but you've got to be one bitter old grump to get angry at it or at other people using it.
Where did you encounter that in the F3x forum? While many Bimmerfest members (including me) wonder why anyone would willingly accept the vitiated driving experience associated with using ECO PRO mode on a regular basis, I haven't seen anything resembling "resentment and anger" regarding it.

Now the inability to set SPORT mode as default in DDC does elicit "resentment and anger" among some, though.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: '15 S4, '15 328dX SW, GTI
Quote:
I hear ya. I've never quite understood the resentment and anger over Eco Pro on this forum. Pretty simple to just not use it if you don't like it, but you've got to be one bitter old grump to get angry at it or at other people using it.
Haters gonna hate. Never understood the deep hatred over what other people do that doesn't effect you at all. Different folks, different strokes....can't we all get along?

Quote:
On a related note, you cannot really stay out of turbo on the F30, even in Eco Pro. It is designed to work throughout the RPM range thanks to Twin Scroll technology, which allows the turbo to spool up starting at very low engine speeds.
Very true, but in the GTI the boost starts around 2000 RPM and as the boost rises the fuel just dumps in LOL. My F31 on the other hand can be driven even more aggressively than an eco run in the GTI, and in Eco-Pro with the turbo working as intended I can still pull high 30s in town, it'll do 40s if the start/stop is active. And that's with about 500 extra pounds and AWD over the GTI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Where did you encounter that in the F3x forum? While many Bimmerfest members (including me) wonder why anyone would willingly accept the vitiated driving experience associated with using ECO PRO mode on a regular basis, I haven't seen anything resembling "resentment and anger" regarding it.

Now the inability to set SPORT mode as default in DDC does elicit "resentment and anger" among some, though.
LOL

Eco-Pro and the ASS, drives people nuts, they just rail against it as the most horrible thing on the planet. Both are selectable and do not effect anything if you don't want them to, yet people just have to hate on them.
1983 Porchse 944

Last edited by Thumper3; 01-20-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post

Viticated! I learned a new word today. Perfect word choice in this context. Thanks.

There isn't open anger or hate for Eco Pro on this forum so far as I have read. Certainly the ASS feature has prompted some negative feelings to be aired, but the Eco Pro seems to be a feature that you either use or don't use.

Why would you wonder why someone else would willingly accept to drive their car in Eco Pro mode on a regular basis? I get why you don't use Eco Pro, but its a perfectly acceptable mode in certain situations for drivers who don't choose to be enthusiastic all the time. Not everybody wants to push their car hard all the time.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Not everybody wants to push their car hard all the time.
What??!!! This must be a lie!

2015 435i M Sport - BMWCCA #495455
Old 01-20-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
What??!!! This must be a lie!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper3 View Post
Haters gonna hate. Never understood the deep hatred over what other people do that doesn't effect you at all. Different folks, different strokes....can't we all get along?

Very true, but in the GTI the boost starts around 2000 RPM and as the boost rises the fuel just dumps in LOL. My F31 on the other hand can be driven even more aggressively than an eco run in the GTI, and in Eco-Pro with the turbo working as intended I can still pull high 30s in town, it'll do 40s if the start/stop is active. And that's with about 500 extra pounds and AWD over the GTI.

LOL

Eco-Pro and the ASS, drives people nuts, they just rail against it as the most horrible thing on the planet. Both are selectable and do not effect anything if you don't want them to, yet people just have to hate on them.

I don't like the fact that I paid for (through a higher vehicle price) research and development of a ****ty system that doesn't really do anything. I can take any car and drive it Eco Pro. It's called don't accelerate hard and keep speed around 55 mph. Hell I can even shut the car off at lights myself if I wanted to.

It's not that it's an inconvenience to have (luckily very easy to disable) it's just such a waste of resources to create the system.

The ultimate driving machine is being rebadged to the ultimate stop, start and sometimes coast machine.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Novice driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Gee-Tee View Post
I don't like the fact that I paid for (through a higher vehicle price) research and development of a ****ty system that doesn't really do anything. I can take any car and drive it Eco Pro. It's called don't accelerate hard and keep speed around 55 mph. Hell I can even shut the car off at lights myself if I wanted to.

It's not that it's an inconvenience to have (luckily very easy to disable) it's just such a waste of resources to create the system.

The ultimate driving machine is being rebadged to the ultimate stop, start and sometimes coast machine.
All good points, but don't underestimate the influence of BMW AG's marketing department. They need features to highlight in sales literature and press releases, even if their ultimate benefit to end customers is nugatory. ECO PRO mode in DDC fits the bill.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Well, first of all, "the ultimate driving machine" isn't a precise universally agreed term. It is what BMW chooses it to be, and it has changed over the years in line with what BMW feels is congruent with what people expect. If people don't agree, they will choose not to buy them. So far it seems BMW is keeping the market happy. There are people who are unhappy, but they are clearly in the minority.

Secondly, BMW isn't defined by what the cars do in Eco Pro. It's just an option to assist the driver drive in a more conservative manner. For those who feel they can do the same on their own, they absolutely have that option. I don't see how you are concluding the ultimate driving machine is now defined entirely by efficiency.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:

BMW does a lot of things that I don't like including run flats, soft base suspension, electric steering to name few. I was so pissed that BMW forced RFTs on us that I said I would never buy a BMW again. Guess what. After extensive cross shopping I came to find out that BMW is still the best game in town for me. So, I rejoined the club. No car is going to be perfect for any one person. For you, its Eco Pro. BMW chooses to market to a much broader audience now. They also have laws and regulations to which they must adhere. They have to expand and new feature and models have been key to their success. After all, they have a company to run. As important as we enthusiasts think we are to BMW, the fact is we represent a shrinking percentage of their business.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Well, first of all, "the ultimate driving machine" isn't a precise universally agreed term.
And, amusingly, is a tagline used only in certain locations such as in the States.

It is not used in Germany - where it would be a source of great mirth.

Put me done as another not intimidated or dismayed by Eco Pro. It is a good option to have.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:

That's naive. Cars are priced for what the market will bear. BMW's are luxury items. If you don't want to pay for them buy something else. As far as the feature, get over yourself. Not all BMW owners are enthusiasts and most sold in Europe are far less powerful and need to get higher gas mileage. CAFE standards drive all of this. It's about CO2 emissions and fuel economy. If you don't like this, buy a used E90 or E46.

And Eco Pro does more than you know. It's not just about a lazy throttle. Look it up before you talk.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
That's naive. Cars are priced for what the market will bear. BMW's are luxury items. If you don't want to pay for them buy something else. As far as the feature, get over yourself. Not all BMW owners are enthusiasts and most sold in Europe are far less powerful and need to get higher gas mileage. CAFE standards drive all of this. It's about CO2 emissions and fuel economy. If you don't like this, buy a used E90 or E46.

And Eco Pro does more than you know. It's not just about a lazy throttle. Look it up before you talk.

Eco Pro is a gimmick to trick people (including the EPA) that the mpg rating is higher than it actually is.

Please do not confuse me with the ill informed. I'm well aware of the "features". Like I said, it doesn't bother me that it's there I just don't think it's a needed function that attracts any buyers. No one who was looking elsewhere suddenly came looking again at BMW because of Eco Pro.

I'm simply saying that it (and other companies equivalent) are a wasted use of resources to appease a corrupt mpg rating figure for the consumer and the EPA.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Eco Pro is a gimmick to trick people (including the EPA) that the mpg rating is higher than it actually is.

Please do not confuse me with the ill informed. I'm well aware of the "features". Like I said, it doesn't bother me that it's there I just don't think it's a needed function that attracts any buyers. No one who was looking elsewhere suddenly came looking again at BMW because of Eco Pro.

I'm simply saying that it (and other companies equivalent) are a wasted use of resources to appease a corrupt mpg rating figure for the consumer and the EPA.
You really think that BMW can 'trick' the EPA? Think again.

U.S. Fines Automakers Hyundai and Kia for Misstating Mileage

Hyundai Motor and Kia Motors will pay the federal government a combined $300 million as part of a settlement for overstating vehicle fuel-economy standards...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/04/us...eage.html?_r=0
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-20-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Like I said, it doesn't bother me that it's there I just don't think it's a needed function that attracts any buyers. No one who was looking elsewhere suddenly came looking again at BMW because of Eco Pro.
It seems presumptuous on your part to think Eco Pro wouldn't attract any buyers. There are plenty of rich people driving Prius and the ilk because they care about the environment (or pretend to), so I could see them being enticed by efficiency modes in cars. Even if you are right that nobody based their car-buying decision on the inclusion of Eco Pro, I as a buyer certainly appreciate having it. In our winters, I especially appreciate the gear changes at lower RPMs when the engine is cold. I also think, although I have not yet had an chance to try it, that the rating system for anticipating braking, which is a game of sorts in Eco Pro, can make you a better driver on public roads. I still struggle to understand why so many people keep their foot on the gas pedal when approaching an intersection that has just turned red, or when the car in front applies its brakes. In the case of the latter they won't even get off the gas to coast, as if the principles of physics does not apply to them or their cars. Eco Pro can certainly make a driver smooth out these things and I could see it translating into other modes/spirited driving as well. So, from where I'm sitting, I am just not seeing anybody losing because of Eco Pro.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 e92 335l
I have a friend who's fond of saying "I just drove to ****** in my Prius and I got ** miles per gallon."

Yeah, but every one of those miles was in a Prius!

For the first 10K in my 435i, I've averaged 23.5. I'll use the Eco Pro when I'm cruising on the freeway, but I've reset the speed warning to 80.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Yeah, but every one of those miles was in a Prius!
Yea, what's your point? The only reason to knock the Prius is for it being overpriced to the point that you cannot recover the higher investment unless the price of gasoline is ridiculously high. Other than that, the Prius is excellent at what it is designed to do and in my opinion, it has no equal at the moment.