Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: NY
Pull back...transmission?

I was on traffic like 20 to 30mph on comfort mode. When I stepped on the gas, the car goes, but when I let go the gas the car pulled back, sometimes very rough. It has the feeling driving a stick shift on the 2nd and 3rd gear pushing on only half of the clutch after letting go the gas. This happened after 15 minutes from starting my car. Normally, I will get this rough ride when I drive without warm up my car, but this time was 15 to 20 minutes later?

I had one time on sport mode. I stepped on the gas from stop and let go the gas and the car pulled back alot.

Long time ago, I have a Honda Civic with a manual. I had to adjust the gas input to smooth out the rough drive.

Is this a transmission problem or normal or needed to tune?
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2016, 11:09 AM

I found out it doesn't do it when I was in Eco mode but no power when accelerate. Guess I have to get an aftermarket chip to chip it to drive better and or more horses.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:22 AM
e46+f30fanatic

Send a message via AIM to XKxRome0ox
Mein Auto: '01 325i, '16 328i
so it's like engine braking really hard?

another solution might be to just never let off the accelerator
don't let the car "pull back"

2016 BMW 328i - 6MT/M Sport Package/Track Handling Package
Old 04-20-2016, 11:34 AM

Another way to accommodate that maybe keep my right foot at the gas so it wont pull back and when I need to slow down, just use my left foot on the brake.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:23 PM
e46+f30fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akii View Post
Another way to accommodate that maybe keep my right foot at the gas so it wont pull back and when I need to slow down, just use my left foot on the brake.
yup
great way to prematurely wear out.... everything

take it to the dealer for diagnosis

Old 04-20-2016, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i
There have been numerous threads that discuss throttle & transmission behavior relating to driving modes. I'm not sure what model you are in, but with the N55 in sport mode I get a lot of engine braking since it is holding the gear longer and does not upshift when I take my foot off the gas. This is fine for fully aggressive driving, but is not a very smooth mode to spend a lot of time in. I have found that the shifter in D/S position causes the transmission to upshift sooner when I let off the gas and it reduces the engine braking effect. So Sport mode with D/S is my go-to mode for everything but freeway cruising. It is consistently smooth in traffic with power "on-tap" when I need it.

Comfort mode usually does a good job of smoothing out the ride (except sometimes when the transmission is cold), so it is strange your transmission was not upshifting.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by akii View Post
I was on traffic like 20 to 30mph on comfort mode. When I stepped on the gas, the car goes, but when I let go the gas the car pulled back, sometimes very rough. It has the feeling driving a stick shift on the 2nd and 3rd gear pushing on only half of the clutch after letting go the gas. This happened after 15 minutes from starting my car. Normally, I will get this rough ride when I drive without warm up my car, but this time was 15 to 20 minutes later?

I had one time on sport mode. I stepped on the gas from stop and let go the gas and the car pulled back alot.

Long time ago, I have a Honda Civic with a manual. I had to adjust the gas input to smooth out the rough drive.

Is this a transmission problem or normal or needed to tune?
You will need to modulate how the gas pedal is released because the BMW ZF8HP automatic is programmed differently than most other cars. First off it locks the torque converter very quickly and keeps it locked so the connection between engine and transmission is very direct. None of the slop from keeping the converter unlocked until 2500 rpm as on many cars. Secondly BMW downshifts to keep rpms around 1500 rpm on deceleration. So the combination as you said results in an experience not unlike a manual trans. You get more engine braking and as a consequence should have to use the hydraulic brakes a lot less. One of the neat features of this well designed car.

Last edited by John MS; 04-21-2016 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:54 AM

I have a 2014 F30 xdrive sedan automatic. On sports mode, I dont mind the engine lock at one gear, but for comfort mode, the engine should upshift and ride should be comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett530 View Post
Comfort mode usually does a good job of smoothing out the ride (except sometimes when the transmission is cold), so it is strange your transmission was not upshifting.
Brett, you are right when the transmission is cold the engine braking effect is worst.
I was waiting for someone this morning and warm up my car the ride was better, but when in traffic the engine braking effect still felt little uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett530 View Post
I have found that the shifter in D/S position causes the transmission to upshift sooner when I let off the gas and it reduces the engine braking effect. So Sport mode with D/S is my go-to mode for everything but freeway cruising. It is consistently smooth in traffic with power "on-tap" when I need it.
Can you clarify the D/S mode? I may have to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
You will need to modulate how the gas pedal is released because the BMW ZF8HP automatic is programmed differently than most other cars. First off it locks the torque converter very quickly and keeps it locked so the connection between engine and transmission is very direct. None of the slop from keeping the converter unlocked until 2500 rpm as on many cars. Secondly BMW downshifts to keep rpms around 1500 rpm on deceleration. So the combination as you said results in an experience not unlike a manual trans. You get more engine braking and as a consequence should have to use the hydraulic brakes a lot less. One of the neat features of this well designed car.
John,
I wish I can be let go the gas more slowly but NYC traffic is a stop and go situation and I have to use my brake.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 F31
IIRC, in Eco Mode the car free wheels when you take your foot off the throttle. Part of the better mileage strategy by eliminating engine braking. Heard that referred to as sail mode.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
I've also noticed engine braking is sometimes really strong in comfort mode as well, usually at speeds below 20mph. It's unusually strong compared to previous BMW's I've owned (see my sig). It doesn't always happen, just occasionally.

It's most annoying when in heavy stop and go traffic - you get a lot of head jerking no matter how smoothly you try to drive. When that happens I switch to Eco mode which helps a bit although when the transmission is in that "mood" it's never as smooth as any of my previous bimmers.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i
"Can you clarify the D/S mode? I may have to use it."

When the shift lever is pushed to the left you are in D/S mode. It affects the transmission behavior. If you do not move it forward or backward it will stay in automatic mode. If you move it forward or back it changes to manual shifting until you flip the lever back to the right. Play with it to see how it affects things.

Based on John's very helpful description, I would assume that D/S mode reduces the torque converter lock-up to some extent.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:28 PM
e46+f30fanatic

holy cow
so i got a 2016 320i auto as a loaner today
i tried using D/S sport mode and the engine braking was really intrusive
now i know what the OP is talking about
after a few minutes, i just threw the car back to normal D mode and comfort and just drove it that way for the rest of the time

Old 04-25-2016, 09:26 AM

My car broke down and is in the dealer now. Got a 535i xdrive for loaner.

The engine braking is much less on both sports, sports + and comfort mode. My F30 only have 1 sports mode and was much more aggressive then the 5 series. I can understand on Sports mode the engine braking on my F30 is ok, but on comfort mode... I told dealer to check it out.

One out of topic questions, how many pistons does the F10(535) has? It feels like much better braking then my F30.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 340i
My 2013 328i did this especially in sport mode and just a little when coming to a stop in comfort mode. I actually liked it in heavy traffic because I didn't have to ride the brake as much. My 2016 340i doesn't do this quite as much, but it it is still there.

That moment when you realize most of what makes you unhappy is your own doing...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search