Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 128i Coupe 6MT
Test Drove the X1 Tonight vs. 328i GT and Wagon

The lease on my 2014 X1 is up in May, so I'm looking to plan a European Delivery for late winter.

In general, I'm not happy with my current X1. In less than three years, the suspension feels terrible and is very unforgiving, lots of squeaks and rattles of hard plastic throughout the cabin. Tons of road noise, and compared to other BMWs with the same 2.0 liter, the engine sounds terrible. I should note that I've also been driving a 2015 335i xDrive M Sport with DHP which includes the adaptive suspension since this past summer, which likely makes the '14 X1's flaws even more apparent.

Tonight, I visited my local dealership to test drive a new X1, a 328i xDrive GT, and a 328i xDrive Wagon. I also brought my 80-lb labradoodle to see how he fit into the hatches of each.

The X1 is mostly an improvement over the previous car. The ride feels tighter, smoother. There are things about the interior that just feel awkward; I couldn't seem to find a comfortable seat position. Some of the details felt chintzy, while others felt like huge improvements over the previous model. What I couldn't get over was the road noise and the still-terrible-sounding engine. It's the exact same engine as that of the two 3 series I drove right after, yet the sound heard in the cabin is night and day better in both 3 series. The X1's engine lets out a sad, tinny howl.

I enjoyed the 328i xDrive GT that I drove, but the rear hatch was a little tight for my dog. Also, didn't like the sound of the engine nearly as much as the 328i Wagon, which absolutely takes the cake.

Going to be ordering a 328i xDrive pretty loaded. Very much looking forward to just about all of the utility to which I've become accustomed with my current X1, in a significantly more refined package. Also glad to be ordering a 3 Wagon. Every order counts––I'd really like to keep these coming to the US!

2011 128i ED 7.7.2010
6MT, Jet Black, Boston Black, Gray Poplar, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons, Alarm

2014 X1 xDrive28i xLine ED 5.6.2013
Sapphire Black Metallic, Terra Leather, Matte Wood, Ultimate, Cold Weather, Lighting, Chrome Line Exterior

2015 335i xDrive M Sport ED 4.20.2015
6MT, Sapphire Black Metallic, Oyster Leather, Anthracite Wood, Cold Weather, Dynamic Handling, Driver Assistance, Premium, Navigation
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2016, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 428xi GC
As far as engine sound, the cars all have the same engine and therefore should make the same sound. The only real difference between what you're hearing between 3 different cars with the exact same engine, would be either how much sound deadening the car has, to block out certain pitches the engine makes OR the engines might be have unequal amounts of miles on them. IE one engine might sound better or worse because it has been driven for XX more miles than the other car and has had more time to settle. Either way congrats on the order for the wagon!!!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F31 Msport
I picked up a 2015 M-Sport wagon a few months back and am completely over the moon with it. It is truly the "whole package" Thanks for doing your part to keep the numbers up. I am terrified that they won't be bringing them when I need to replace it in 3 years.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:01 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
The F48 X1 does not have the N20 motor currently in the -28i F3x models. It doesn't even have the B48 that is coming to the F3x -30i models.

It has the B46. It makes slightly less hp at 228. It does have 258 lb-ft if torque.

I agree, it is not a particularly pleasant sounding motor. I also found it a little "buzzy" and coarse sounding. The N20 never gives me the sense I'm driving a four banger. The B46 felt a little 4-ish. If I wanted one it probably wouldn't keep me from buying it and I doubt any of the new BMW customers it brings in will care at all.

btw - I LOVE the E84 X1! Of course, I still drive an E90 330i.

I think the 328i xDrive Touring is a great choice!!
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-26-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 328i xDrive M
In regards to engine sound/noise, you're probably noticing the Active Sound Design (~erm fake sound~) that's present in the 328 models. It really sounds different compared to an earlier 2012-2013MY that did not have that module. While it is not "real", it sounds pretty damn good.

Past: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line in Havanna Metallic/Black Dakota w/ Fineline Anthracite
Mods - F20 M-Sport Wheel with Paddles + SAT GWS/Lip Spoiler/LCI Ambient LED HVAC/SS Pedals/M-Performance Exhaust
Past: 2007 Infiniti G35S in Black Obsidian - 105,250km
Old 01-26-2016, 03:45 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
I test drove the new X1 and found the engine to be pleasantly quiet relative to the N20. While standing outside the car after a test drive a 3 series with the N20 drove by. Very dieselish sounding. I had the salesman pop the hood and start the car. Standing beside the motor on the outside while running I was amazed at how quiet for a DI engine it was at idle relative to the N20 and other DI engines.

In the end this car was for my wife and the X1 seating position and rearward visibility was a deal breaker for her. She ended up with a Subaru Forester XT (Turbo).

On another note. The New clubman from Mini uses the motor (detuned to 189 hp) and 8 speed tranny from Asin. It has a starting MSRP of about 28, but its currently FWD only.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
I test drive the new X1. The B46 sounded MUCH better than the N20 and felt quieter and must smoother. It actually felt less like a 4 banger.

The seats in the X1 were TERRIBLE. I took it on a 20 minute drive and couldn't wait to get out of it. I don't see how anyone could buy this car with those seats and I for one have never had any issues with any of the previous cars I have owned. I took a test drive in a 340 shortly after and didn't really notice the seats one bit and I have never had issues with X1 loaners I have had in the past.

For the record I am 5'6" and around 168 with zero health issues.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post
I test drive the new X1. The B46 sounded MUCH better than the N20 and felt quieter and must smoother. It actually felt less like a 4 banger.

The seats in the X1 were TERRIBLE. I took it on a 20 minute drive and couldn't wait to get out of it. I don't see how anyone could buy this car with those seats and I for one have never had any issues with any of the previous cars I have owned. I took a test drive in a 340 shortly after and didn't really notice the seats one bit and I have never had issues with X1 loaners I have had in the past.

For the record I am 5'6" and around 168 with zero health issues.
I have the same impression with the seats. Even our SA seating in the back seat after we get beck to the dealership state that his seating was terrible.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 01-26-2016, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
The sad thing is that the msport suspension is standard, but you have to get a whole package to get sport seats that might be more comfortable. Boggles my mind whoever comes up with how their cars can be configured for order.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F31 M-Sport GS/BLK
Agree. The X1 just feels less like a BMW overall, in build quality and interior materials. The new X1 is a bit of an upgrade, but still, it's cheaper for a reason. I shopped it when I was comparing it with the 328 Sportwagon. I ended up with a fully loaded M-Sportwagon and don't regret it one bit. Perfect utility with the ride and handling of the sedan. Comes standard with Sports Transmission, as well as panoramic sunroof, to offset some of the price difference from the f30. Hook up a STAGE 1 tune and you have something close to a 335 in wagin form!!

welcome to the F31 CLUB!
Old 01-26-2016, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: F31
Good choice on the F31. Looking forward to seeing your final configuration.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Test Drove the X1 Tonight vs. 328i GT and Wagon

Fantastic choice! Except for the height when you look at dimensions F31 is bigger than the X1. A service advisor once told me that sound deadening materials used in both were different. The 3 series had better quality and more of that material. Hence the price increase among other cool stuff. By the way I love my wagon here in the US! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1453857860.035338.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	548037Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1453857877.001854.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	548038

Last edited by gabreigns; 01-26-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:51 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando384 View Post
The lease on my 2014 X1 is up in May, so I'm looking to plan a European Delivery for late winter.

In general, I'm not happy with my current X1. In less than three years, the suspension feels terrible and is very unforgiving, lots of squeaks and rattles of hard plastic throughout the cabin. Tons of road noise, and compared to other BMWs with the same 2.0 liter, the engine sounds terrible. I should note that I've also been driving a 2015 335i xDrive M Sport with DHP which includes the adaptive suspension since this past summer, which likely makes the '14 X1's flaws even more apparent.

Tonight, I visited my local dealership to test drive a new X1, a 328i xDrive GT, and a 328i xDrive Wagon. I also brought my 80-lb labradoodle to see how he fit into the hatches of each.

The X1 is mostly an improvement over the previous car. The ride feels tighter, smoother. There are things about the interior that just feel awkward; I couldn't seem to find a comfortable seat position. Some of the details felt chintzy, while others felt like huge improvements over the previous model. What I couldn't get over was the road noise and the still-terrible-sounding engine. It's the exact same engine as that of the two 3 series I drove right after, yet the sound heard in the cabin is night and day better in both 3 series. The X1's engine lets out a sad, tinny howl.

I enjoyed the 328i xDrive GT that I drove, but the rear hatch was a little tight for my dog. Also, didn't like the sound of the engine nearly as much as the 328i Wagon, which absolutely takes the cake.

Going to be ordering a 328i xDrive pretty loaded. Very much looking forward to just about all of the utility to which I've become accustomed with my current X1, in a significantly more refined package. Also glad to be ordering a 3 Wagon. Every order counts––I'd really like to keep these coming to the US!
Last November, needing to replace my '13 X3 3.5 M Sport, I drove the same cars as you, and my impressions were similar to yours. I frequent the mountains of Western Maryland and West Virginia accompanied by my German shepherd, friends, and usually a lot of stuff.

I had high hopes that the new X1 would be perfect but I was underwhelmed by the driving experience, and especially taken back by the diminutive scale of the front seats. They look great but are not scaled to accommodate tall people (I am 6'3").

I was intrigued and predisposed to like the 328ix GT, having owned a 550i GT for a year a few years ago. In a word - ungainly. The GT offered uninspired performance and compromised utility - my German shepherd hated it. It was expensive to boot.

Having a "13 328ix daily driver, I thought that I did not need to test drive the Sports Wagon. Wow, was I wrong. I found the current Sports Wagon to be more refined, comfortable, while still conveying a sporty "BMW" persona. Moreover, the space was very usable - my German shepherd approved. I was especially impressed with the Sports Wagon's compliant ride and overall build quality. All good except the price before discounts came to $62K - great car but questionable value especially given its four cylinder engine.

In the end, I leased a very nicely equipped X5. Although the X5's sticker price was more - the actual monthly lease payment was not that much more given the X5's steeper discount. I am very pleased with my X5 but I would been a happy camper if I had ended up with the Sports Wagon. If BMW offered a 340i xDrive wagon variant, my decision would have been considerably more difficult.

Congrats on your Sports Wagon - one of BMW's best offerings.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M Sport
I sat in the new X1 too a couple of weeks ago and as others noted, the front seats are tiny. Now I'm 6'0" 210 but still, tiny. The CA mentioned he thought sport seat were available but I wasn't interested enough to investigate.

Dennis

2014 335i M Sport / Mineral Grey Metallic / Dynamic Handling Package / Premium / Tech / Driver Assistance / HK Stereo / Heated Seats
Old 01-27-2016, 05:25 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
I agree with Capo. We have a 2014 328i wagon and a 2015 X1 2.8 xDrive. My wife drives the wagon, but she loves the X1 so much she wants one for her next car.

When I test drove a 2016, I HATED it. Seats, front wheel drive feel, that ridiculous shifter. The most in-BMW-like BMW I've ever been in. So we're doing a lease assumption on another 2015 X1, this one a 3.5.

YMMV

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K
2015 X1 28i xDrive Alpine / Black, xLine, ZCW and Ultimate
2015 X1 35i xDrive Black / Black, ZCW, Ultimate and Xenons

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-27-2016, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2015BMW 428i GC ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando384 View Post

why not get a x3?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: 435
I'm going to attempt to drive an X1 when I get a chance. Opinions are all over the board. One good thing about an X1 vs X3 and X5 (and X4, X6, X7, X8, X9 and X10) is that you can do ED with it. I kinda wonder if the X3 is in no man's land? As a former 540 Touring owner, can't say there is much to complain about with the touring option. Drive great and you can put a ton in it.

Previous: 2003 540 Touring; 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 01-28-2016, 12:01 PM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 335ix M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog View Post
I'm going to attempt to drive an X1 when I get a chance. Opinions are all over the board. One good thing about an X1 vs X3 and X5 (and X4, X6, X7, X8, X9 and X10) is that you can do ED with it. I kinda wonder if the X3 is in no man's land? As a former 540 Touring owner, can't say there is much to complain about with the touring option. Drive great and you can put a ton in it.
I kind feel the same way. The X3 isn't terribly bigger (or better with storage, access, etc), but it costs way more than a similarly equipped X1. Couple that with and aging platform, engine (N20), etc. and it just isn't as appealing. Really, how much better/capability is it than the X1? $10k more (Again, similar equipped)?

2014 F30 Mineral Gray| Coral Red Dakota | xDrive | M-Sport | MPPK | 2TB | ZCW| ZPP | ZTP | ZD2 | ZDH | Z4A | 5DP | 5DL |HK Stereo |

Gone, but not forgotten:
11 BMW 335xi e90
08 BMW 335i e90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog View Post
With the new X1 it certainly could be for a while, until the next X3 comes out. One of my biggest impressions of the new X1 was that on the inside it feels almost exactly like the original X3. I'm an oddball (as most of you know), but I actually prefer the size of the E84. To me it fits the true size BMW was trying to create the segment for. I have found it very interesting how popular they are in Chicagoland. They are everywhere. I doubt they're as popular in the south (I could be wrong).
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:43 PM
Next car: '18 AMG GT Vert

Mein Auto: 15 M6 vert, 15 328dxt
Mrs D absolutely loves her 328dxT, well she liked it a lot at first, but now she loves it now that I replaced the run-hards with proper tires on a set of lightweight forged wheels. It has the smooth ride of a larger car, handles sharply, carries almost anything she buys, gets 50+ mpgs on the highway, and doesn't have any issues reaching triple digit speeds. It took her maybe only a week to forget about her X5M.

BMWs
2015 M6 Drophead Coupé
2015 328xd Estate
2013 X5M Sport Utility Vehicle
2013 650xi 2 Door Fastback Saloon
2011 Dinan 5 Saloon
2011 335d Saloon

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search