BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

318i will not start, new starter?? Please help.

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BMWFatherFigure 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i have an unusual problem. I have been driving my car around until one day it didnt want to start. Long story short towed it home and it started right when i got home. This was a brand new starter mind you (3 months old) again it wouldnt start. I tested the blk/yellow wire from the ignition and it was reading 10.8-11.4 volts when te key was turned to start. So i exchanged the starter for another today and it still wont start? Im at my wits end!

The fuel pump relay does make noise sometimes and it seems as though it doesnt work. Also once the pumps stayed running even with key off. I had to pull the pump relay to shut them off. Does this scream a bad ignition switch and or loose connection?

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Bad fuel pump relay for a start. Ditch it and lets go from there.

#3 ·
What do mean when you say it won't start? Do you mean the engine turns over and doesn't start or do you mean the starter isn't turning the engine over? Another bit of helpful info is what year is your car and does your car have an automatic transmission.

If your car isn't turning over and you have a new starter you should check is the connections of the ground strap that goes from the starter to the chassis. The ground strap contact points get corroded or the strap strands get corroded and break which causes enough of a voltage drop that the starter won't.

#4 ·
I read it as turns but does not catch. That and the fuel problems lead me to suggest ditching the FPR. OP has not got back yet.

#6 ·
Hey thanks guys for the responses. I have actually already found the issue. My dumbass took the ground strap off with intentions to replace it with a new one. This is the strap that goes from the lower left part of the chassis to the top of the oil pan. Anyway i bought another ground and viola! Kick me now please.

#7 ·
Our pleasure!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.