Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Right low beam malfunction... Out of ideas :(

Hello everyone! I have been reading posts on this forum for a while now and finally decided to join in. Well in truth I need some help...

I have a 06 e90 with xenon headlights and about a month ago the right low beam went out and I got the error on iDrive.

The first thing I did was replace the bulb with an OEM replacement. I bought a pair so I went ahead and replaced the driver side lamp as well. This did not fix the problem and having read many posts on here I thought for sure that the controller / Ballast must be bad so I ordered a new one as well as a new cable that runs from the ballast to the bulb.
I replaced the ballast and the cable and I still get nothing out of the right side. So I thought maybe I might have DOA parts but when I install these parts in the driver side head lamp, they work just fine. So I then thought maybe the ballast is not getting the 12v form the wiring harness, tested the power at the main headlamp connector and it read 12v, I then tested the connanuity of the wire that plugs into the ballast to the connector that the wiring harness plugs into and I get a steady "Beep" from my tester.

I don't have anyway to test the current that is coming to the ballast, I don't know if that can be an issue but I'm just out of ideas.

I have had my bumper off 3 times now trying to fix this issue and what sucks is I think I bought all these parts for nothing lol...

And I don't want to add any more weirdness to this post but I think one time when I was switching out parts and I had the left side head lamp assm. unplugged, It came on all of the sudden but when I plugged both lamps in the right one went out again and the left one came on again..

I have checked the plugs 100 times to make sure they are in tight.

Any ideas? please? Thanks!!
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
have you plugged the original head lamp that does not work into the side that does work? At least you can see if the bulb is still good, if it is, I would check the ground, thats always been the issue on older cars. if not, sounds like a trip to the dealer, but take all the parts and you would only get hit with labor

Hondo
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I have not switched the headlamps, I was not sure if the wiring on the connector would match but next time I take the bumper off I will check it. I do know that the xenon bulb itself works because I have switched just the bulbs at one point.

Everything else is working in the headlight... ring lights up, DRL light up and autolevel, turn signal works but the xenon bulb will not ignite.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejc View Post
....I then tested the connanuity of the wire that plugs into the ballast to the connector that the wiring harness plugs into and I get a steady "Beep" from my tester.

I don't have anyway to test the current that is coming to the ballast, I don't know if that can be an issue but I'm just out of ideas.

....I think one time when I was switching out parts and I had the left side head lamp assm. unplugged, It came on all of the sudden but when I plugged both lamps in the right one went out again and the left one came on again..

Aha. You'll need a multimeter and detailed circuit diagram. Post the last!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 330i E90
I'm having same issue on my E90 06 330i. Passenger low beam malfunction after putting in new bulb, ballast, and ballast wire. I put those new parts in a couple months ago and noticed some flickering upon start-up in the last couple weeks and now its completely out, won't turn on just like before I installed new parts. Low beam malfunction on iDrive. As far as ALL the parts on the headlight, it seems like it could be a smaller control unit on the bottom of the headlight, part numb 63127189312, can anyone confirm if there's any truth to that? Looks like its an 'ALC control unit/module'. The bulb or ballast is not the issue.

HELP!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: '03 M5, '04 Toyota Tundra
Hmph. Same problem here: R. lo beam bulb obviously blown out, new good bulb w/igniter installed and still no lo beam light; no current is being delivered to bulb. Car is clean for all fault codes and fuses #s 84 & 86 for headlamps are good. The only other anomaly is that the bulb for the L. angel eye light rings is also blown out and is waiting to be replaced. Whaaaa! Sounds like there is a chronic or design fault in this system somewhere . . . . Someone has got to have had this problem and tracked down the solution!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikhe View Post
Hmph. Same problem here: R. lo beam bulb obviously blown out, new good bulb w/igniter installed and still no lo beam light; no current is being delivered to bulb. Car is clean for all fault codes and fuses #s 84 & 86 for headlamps are good. The only other anomaly is that the bulb for the L. angel eye light rings is also blown out and is waiting to be replaced. Whaaaa! Sounds like there is a chronic or design fault in this system somewhere . . . . Someone has got to have had this problem and tracked down the solution!
Are you sure your bulb was blown? Did you test it on your driver's side? The bulbs do brown and darken with age but are still fully functional. I have a constant good power supply to the low beam pin connector in the main headlight harness. So, that means my issue was from within headlight. I have a brand new ballast, bulb, and ballast to bulb cable and still have an issue. So I started playing with the two pin connector harness that powers the ballast and with that I found the issue. It's a black and yellow wire that connects to the ballast and supplies it with power... Pushing and pulling that harness made my bulb flicker on and off. I suggest you have that checked out. As far as your left halo, that's most likely a bulb issue and unrelated to your passenger low beam.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i Sedan
Swap everything left to right and see if the non-functioning items now function. My car did this. It turned out that the wiring from the switch to the control unit (NOT the one to the ballast, but the one with two wires and a clip) had the wires loose inside the clip. Tightening the connection restored all function.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopin1012 View Post
Swap everything left to right and see if the non-functioning items now function. My car did this. It turned out that the wiring from the switch to the control unit (NOT the one to the ballast, but the one with two wires and a clip) had the wires loose inside the clip. Tightening the connection restored all function.
Not sure I understand you clearly? The ballast is also referred to as the control unit. It has two connectors on it: unit to bulb wire, and power supply to unit (yellow wire and black wire - small harness). The yellow and black wires are loose in the little harness on my car and that is the issue.

Ballast/control unit/module part# 08 in this diagram: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...18&hg=63&fg=05
Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Keep in mind on this diagram above(clickable link), the ballast/control unit is illustrated improperly. There are two slots for connections inside the round oval (power harness and ballast to bulb wire)
Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM

Sorry, when I was writing my post I somehow missed your stating what the issue was. My issue was the same: the black and yellow wires were loose. I had a shop fix that as I didn't feel sure I could do it without messing it up. After they fixed that, my problem went away.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:56 PM

Gotcha'. I am at a auto electric place as we speak. FYI BMW won't do this as they'll want to replace whole headlight. Any shop familiar with electrical components/wiring will be the place to go. Even car audio ect.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:08 PM

I didn't go to the dealer; I have a great Indy who took care of it for one hour of labor. I originally had a spare plug that I could have spliced in. If I still had it, I'd offer it to you. I'm sure any good auto elec shop can fix it. It's odd, though. I have no idea how those wires got loose inside that plug.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:11 PM

Yeah these guys just said heat tends to make them go bad and loosen. I just hope people with low beam issues see this thread so they don't waste money on bulbs and ballasts
Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
in most cases, a simple D1S bulb replacement is suffice for most issues, eventually many D1S bulbs will turn pink overtime
Old 04-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
the never eanding story of right lowbeam malfunctions

This is for my '07 335i.

Glad I found this thread as Iím going to tell the guys to check the connections to the power harness and the ballast to the bulb wire.

Two years ago they replaced the right headlight assembly twice Ė at no charge fortunately. Fast forward to three weeks ago and the right low beam malfunctions again. The dealer replaces the bulb at high cost. Two hours after driving away it fails again. I take the car back and am assured theyíll get it this time. The ignitor is replaced and Iím told the car will be ready that evening only to get a call telling me that the problem came back. So I tell them itís likely in the wiring/connections and also to try swapping parts from right to left to see what happens. I go to get my loaner and my car is turned over to the chief mechanic. Two days later they tell me that theyíve replaced the control unit and all systems are go. The very next morning the windshield wiper fluid light is on. Now the reservoir wonít hold fluid and the right low beam is dim but without a warning message. I figured out by looking at my lights reflecting off other cars then walked around myself to confirm.

So now Iím suspicious that they somehow managed to damage a line to the wiper fluid reservoir in the last repair attempt. I got on to them as it seems to me that if there were a leak when I brought the car in it should have been noticed as itís right behind where they were working. $1200 later and I have two problems instead of just the original.

The dealer wants me to bring the car in again. Maybe this timeÖ

In the meantime my wife is laughing at me because she drives a Chevy and has had no issues except for killing tires.

Anything else I should mention for them to try in the next round of sorting this out?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycat View Post
This is for my '07 335i.

Glad I found this thread as Iím going to tell the guys to check the connections to the power harness and the ballast to the bulb wire.

Two years ago they replaced the right headlight assembly twice Ė at no charge fortunately. Fast forward to three weeks ago and the right low beam malfunctions again. The dealer replaces the bulb at high cost. Two hours after driving away it fails again. I take the car back and am assured theyíll get it this time. The ignitor is replaced and Iím told the car will be ready that evening only to get a call telling me that the problem came back. So I tell them itís likely in the wiring/connections and also to try swapping parts from right to left to see what happens. I go to get my loaner and my car is turned over to the chief mechanic. Two days later they tell me that theyíve replaced the control unit and all systems are go. The very next morning the windshield wiper fluid light is on. Now the reservoir wonít hold fluid and the right low beam is dim but without a warning message. I figured out by looking at my lights reflecting off other cars then walked around myself to confirm.

So now Iím suspicious that they somehow managed to damage a line to the wiper fluid reservoir in the last repair attempt. I got on to them as it seems to me that if there were a leak when I brought the car in it should have been noticed as itís right behind where they were working. $1200 later and I have two problems instead of just the original.

The dealer wants me to bring the car in again. Maybe this timeÖ

In the meantime my wife is laughing at me because she drives a Chevy and has had no issues except for killing tires.

Anything else I should mention for them to try in the next round of sorting this out?
Have them check the FRM module. Check the drain grates under the hood by the struts to make sure there is no debris clogging the grate. This can allow water to overflow into the cabin, which then drips ontop of the FRM, damaging the module.

FRM controls power distribution to all the lighting module in the car as well as the side mirrors and power windows.

If there are any signs of water, corrosion, etc, you most likely have a bad module.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |