Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Why are they so possessive about those stupid loaners?

So I call to schedule my first ever visit to take care of three things : 1- oil change, 2 - driver's glove box falling apart, 3 - comfort access delay in locking the car.

The lady tells me she cannot provide a loaner even though troubleshooting of the comfort access may take a long time. Until Mr. God "service advisor" OKs it, she cannot reserve a loaner. Get that: they are willing to drive me back to work (25 minutes each way) and back from work to the shop but will not OK a loaner. What a load of %^&. One full hour of a driver's time who is taken away from other duties and gas would probably cost them more than letting me use a loaner which sits on the lot (and which probably gets sold after some time at minimal loss if any anyway). So what is with those places to be so possessive about the stupid loaners that the service job must be major for them to give one out?? I've been treated the same way, btw in an Acura dealership. A guy drove me back home (30 minutes each way, but actually refused to drive me back to the shop...) - to me that's just stupid. Paying a guy to do some driving when the loaner car sits on the lot and depreciates?

Are they just protective of the loners in terms of availability for the more high-end client? That still makes no sense. Why should the size of the job depend on whether they give one out? Service work is service work - shouldn't it be the TIME involved and not the money? It's not like we're dying to drive some filthy, usually inferior car and beat the crap out of it.. some people simply want convenience and the dealer ends up wasting a service worker's time to drive the client back and forth?? Inconveniencing BOTH at the same time and possibly spending more cash?

UPDATE:

I go in today, the SA inputs stuff into his computer and proceeds to ask: can I get you a shuttle? I say: Could I get a car? He goes: Sure, let me see what I have.

I told him that a dumb lady taking in my appointment told me it was impossible without his approval (ie. after the size of the job would be determined...) to which he says BS - I wonder which lady told you that. You simply need to call in advance and book a loaner. We have recently added 10 new vehicles as loaners... Whoa! So, brand new 2013 328i X-drive Sport with 40 kms on the clock and on my way.

Too bad that dumb bitc... misinformed me so bad. I told my boss I'd be gone for two hours as she claimed my case would not qualify for a loaner without SA's approval... WTF....

By the way no charge for the loaner (that would be too much really).

UPDATE #2:

Final follow-up to my story. Endras BMW in Whitby did a fabulous job with the loaners while my car was being serviced (for the total of about 4 days). So, had it not been for the uninformed and ignorant secretary who took my initial call and offered me a shuttle or a rental car (for which I'd need to pay!), my experience would have been a full success. In the end, the SA was quick to offer a large choice of loaners; I ended up getting a brand-new 328xi and later on a fully loaded X5 35i. Bravo to the service department for NOT being possessive as I had initially thought (upon first contact). They had lived up to the task to the point where my wife and I have fallen in love with the X5 and will buy one down the road (hopefully the new body style with some improvements over the current model). What a way to use the existing stock of demo vehicles to make future sales (while servicing someone's car). Pure winner if you ask me. Nothing like experiencing a car with no sales associate in the shotgun.

-----

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca

Last edited by yogi799; 11-02-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2012, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: E90 335xi
in my (limited) experience BMW loaners, and loaners in general are hard to come by, it's not like they have several cars sitting. you must have reservation.

but, a sh!tty subsidized rental car from enterprise is always available.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Do the math, an hour worth a driver's time is about $25, 3 gallon of gas cost about $15. How much do you think a BMW loaner is worth a day? $75? $100? $150?
For a top tier luxury brand, BMW is probably one of worst that I have experience when it comes to loaner. Lexus is the best, even Audi was better with loaner and MB is pretty willing to give out loaners as well.

Last edited by The X Men; 10-24-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Totally depends on the dealer. There is no BMW policy. I've been to dealers able to get loaners on a drop in appointment, others I've had to wait days to schedule.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: M6 F12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Totally depends on the dealer. There is no BMW policy. I've been to dealers able to get loaners on a drop in appointment, others I've had to wait days to schedule.
+1

Generally never had an issue with loaners, sales rep explained their policy:

Those that buy cars get preference over those that lease
Those in for non warranty work get preference over warranty work
Those in for extended work (multiple days) get preference over shorter visits
Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtaggert View Post
+1

That's lame.

I've never gone for service at the dealer that I purchased the car from, and never had an issue getting a loaner.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
FieldsBMW to get a loaner you have to had purchased the vehicle from them.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: German
What a bunch of BS. Go find another dealer. My dealer always has BMW loaners if you call ahead. If that isn't possible, then they will give you a rental. I never have to wait there or let them drive me back.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM
BMW's Since 1989

Mein Auto: 2014 328xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
What a bunch of BS. Go find another dealer. My dealer always has BMW loaners if you call ahead. If that isn't possible, then they will give you a rental. I never have to wait there or let them drive me back.
+1

Get another dealer. Mine (Motorwerks, Minneapolis) always provides a loaner, and none of the priority stuff listed by a previous poster. Always a car that's less than a year old. It's just assumed they will give you one, and there is never any need for discussion about it.

Last edited by jimpal; 10-25-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:45 AM
AT LAW

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpal View Post
+1

Get another dealer. Mine (Motorwerks, Minneapolis) always provides a loaner, and non of the priority stuff listed by a previous poster. Always a car that's less than a year old. It's just assumed they will give you one, and there is never any need for discussion about it.
I agree. My dealer always has the equivalent of a five series for me (albeit a base model).

In the summer, from time to time, I will request a 335 convertible just to enjoy the weather for a day or two.

PREVIOUS BMW'S:

2012 BMW 535xi
2007 BMW 535i
2000 BMW 528i
1991 BMW 318is
Old 10-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
+1

And those who paid MSRP get preference over those who paid invoice.
And those who bought the tire and wheel insurance get preference over those who didnt.

Sometimes I wonder where these salesman get their lines from

Most service department are totally seperated from their sales department. The service department couldnt care less where you bought your car from, they just want your business.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
I can almost guarantee Roseville BMW (Sacramento) requires several weeks notice AND for you to have bought from them.

I really don't give a frack and am ok with a Camry/Focus for a day. Stevens Creek covered a rental for a week when I had the transmissions bushings in my 330 replaced under CPO warranty but no other dealer has done anything similar. At the indies I use I have to rent a car for $40+ anyway so I'm used to it I guess.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 10-24-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Law View Post
I agree. My dealer always has the equivalent of a five series for me (albeit a base model).

In the summer, from time to time, I will request a 335 convertible just to enjoy the weather for a day or two.
Good idea... I might call around and see what others do. Yeah, the bi%^& even said I can rent a car next door if I want to drive myself back. I got so pissed and said, what? Didn't I just spend $70k for you to tell me there is anything else I need to pay for? Especially when the car is 1-yr old and under warranty... Morons..

They make money on warranty repairs AFAIK so that just makes my blood boil.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: M6 F12
Entitlement vs. good service and competitive shopping?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Last time my car went in for a service, my dealer loaned me a fully loaded 535i M Sport.
It's worth more than my car.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: v8 tt
which dealership is this ? BMW Toronto or Parkview ? They are now charging for $20 for loaners .. no more freebies, unless you are buddy / buddy with the Service Advisor or Service Mgr.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 PM

BMW should really step in set some kind of policy as far as dealers and their loaners. A top tier luxury car brand name like BMW really should have some sort of standard as far as customer service is concerned.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Perillo in downtown Chicago used to reimburse up to $40 cash per service visit for taxi service (I think the logic was $20 each way would get home and back to the dealer). All you had to do was drop off the receipts.

Unfortunately they stopped doing that earlier this year.

Getting loaners requires an advance appointment, but I do miss the taxi reimbursement.

Maybe in Canada they'll give you two huskies and a sled?

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashhell View Post
Last time my car went in for a service, my dealer loaned me a fully loaded 535i M Sport.
It's worth more than my car.
I remember when I had my first A4 right out of college, I'd sometimes have rattles happen when I needed to take a road-trip with friends to visit others who were on the 5 year plan.

It was much more comfortable in an A6 loaner.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 10-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix msport
Had a few service and one warranty thing done, was asked if I needed a loaner when I made the appointment. When I got there the gal seemed a little embarrased when asking if an X3 would be OK.

I would think that they only have a certain number of loaners available and perhaps have some sort of threshold on who to give them to.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:12 PM
BMWCCA Member

Mein Auto: ED 2012 535xi TiAg
I made an appointment for just an oil and filter change and said I would wait for the car. The subject of a loaner never came up. I went in today at the appointed time, and also asked for a coding of the Auto Stop Start to remember the last setting. The SA said it could take a little while for the coding, and he'd arrange for me to have a loaner. That was all without my asking. They gave me a 2011 335xi M Sport with 9500 miles on the odo. I'm sure the loaner availability is based on the loaner inventory ... some dealers simply have more than others.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post

They make money on warranty repairs AFAIK so that just makes my blood boil.
Yeah, not to mention, I think they also bill BMW for rentals and such. That's what my SA said to me when I had to pick up an Enterprise rental, when my oil level sensor suddenly decided to freak out.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Quote:
+1

My own experience is that sales reps have zero insight and influence over what happens post sale. Those promises and representations made pre sale tend not to be worth the paper they are (not) written on post sale...

Still - the first two bullets are totally counter intuitive. To the first, it matters not to the dealer whether you buy or lease, they get paid the same - and if we were prioritizing, a lease customer is more likely to be worth more to the dealer than a buy an hold merchant. The second makes no sense at all - if there has to be a priority it should always go to warranty work. Not only is it likely more lucrative for the dealer, it's more likely to create a customer service issue if a loaner is not provided when the car is in to remediate warranty issues.
BMW 550i, BMW 545i

Last edited by swajames; 10-24-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
We have two BMWs and we have two servicing dealers.

The first is Russel BMW for my 335d and it is the same place were we bought the car. A BMW 328 loaner has always been available, these 328's sometimes look a bit rough and they charge $10 for insurance.

The second is the BMW of Silver Spring for my 550 and I did not buy my car there. A BMW loaner is usually available, but on a first come first serve basis. So far, I have had 528xi, 535i GT, X5 35d, 328i, and a Enterprise Dodge 200. No insurance is charged.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 10-24-2012, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
In my experience throughout the years with MB, Lexus and BMW, some dealers give preference to those who bought the car from that particular dealer. I know our local Lexus dealer was like that. They gave special services to those who purchased the vehicle from them (i.e. flatbed towing to the dealership, mobile service oil change and loaner priorities). MB and BMW vary from dealership to dealership. It's quite common for a dealership to tell you that their loaner fleet is all booked when you call in to make a scheduled service appointment. Yeah, the loaners are all out just when you called.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport