Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 528i
stripped rotor screw

As the title suggest my right rear rotor screw is striped.. to be more specific the head of the screw to undo the screw is stripped.. assuming whoever had it before had to had done it... Any suggestions as to how to get this screw out?
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Did you even bother to search fopr y our answer? If you search this forum for "rotor screw+DIY", it will pop up.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Did you even bother to search fopr y our answer? If you search this forum for "rotor screw+DIY", it will pop up.
no i did not search... i assumed it wasn't covered... but why do you people always say did a person bother...if its such a pain for you E39 gods to be disturbed then ignore the peons ok... a few of you all come across with holier than thou dispositions when it comes to this stuff... Did I even bother shouldnt have been in your response..if your gonna help cool i appreciate it.. cyber chastising im not the one for it...again if its a bother dont respond.. Also it must have been obvious i didn't search..but thats neither here nor there..
Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i 5 speed
You'll probably have to drill the old screw out. I believe the screw is an M6, so the diameter of the screw is 6mm. Drill out the head with a 6mm drill bit (a 1/4 inch drill will work if you don't have metric). Once the head comes off, you can remove the rotor. There should be enough remaining screw sticking out to remove it with vice grips, pliers, etc. Don't drill any deeper than you have to, leave as much of the old screw on as you can - more to grab. If it's really rusted in there, use WD40 or penetrating oil to break up the rust first.

Jerry
Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk17 View Post
no i did not search... i assumed it wasn't covered... but why do you people always say did a person bother...if its such a pain for you E39 gods to be disturbed then ignore the peons ok... a few of you all come across with holier than thou dispositions when it comes to this stuff... Did I even bother shouldnt have been in your response..if your gonna help cool i appreciate it.. cyber chastising im not the one for it...again if its a bother dont respond.. Also it must have been obvious i didn't search..but thats neither here nor there..
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Hey ...it's friday.. lets all relax.

Whats worked for me in the past is to soak the stripped screw in PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench for an hour and then wedge a flathead screw driver that is a hair wider than the bolt head as deep as you can (I pounded mine with a ribbuer mallet) and then turned with a pair of robopliers. It sounds mildly retarded... but it worked.

Good Luck!

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 ACS Type II Wheels - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Sway Bars - Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow Muffler - Dinan CAI - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters
Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Soak it good with Blaster and then--I would use a cold chisel and work it out with the chisel at an angle driving it counter clock wise and that would start the screw out.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 528IA
I hammered a fitting (ish....tiny bit larger) torx key in the stripped hole and managed to loosen it that way.
Actually ended up re-using it as I didn't have a replacement at hand at the time :P Changed it later.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM

think it might be quicker to drill it...but the banging and stuff will be last resort...
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
It is not obvious you didn't search since some do not know how to search this forum. I apologize if I came off as rude but you need to spend a minute and read the first thread on this forum (How to Easily Find...). It gives very clear directions for how to search for your answer as most every e39 problem has already been addressed. It also explains why old timers get annoyed when the same question comes up again and again. That thread was established to avoid this exact issue.

Not sure what your issue is here. Did I not give you explicit directions for getting the exact solution you needed to solve your problem? So what's the problem? If you are offended by my tone, skip my post and go to the next one. But then you won't have one of the better answers to your question.

This forum exists for people to provide assistance to people seeking assistance and is built on contributions. We want to keep new members aboard and we want them contributing. And we don't mind if all you do take info since not everyone can contribute. It was recently said that: On the Internet, you are what you write. Your response is pretty clear. I will do as you request and defer from responding to any of your future requests for technical assistance. Best of luck, firehawk, with your e39.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
It is not obvious you didn't search since some do not know how to search this forum. I apologize if I came off as rude but you need to spend a minute and read the first thread on this forum (How to Easily Find...). It gives very clear directions for how to search for your answer as most every e39 problem has already been addressed. It also explains why old timers get annoyed when the same question comes up again and again. That thread was established to avoid this exact issue.

Not sure what your issue is here. Did I not give you explicit directions for getting the exact solution you needed to solve your problem? So what's the problem? If you are offended by my tone, skip my post and go to the next one. But then you won't have one of the better answers to your question.

This forum exists for people to provide assistance to people seeking assistance and is built on contributions. We want to keep new members aboard and we want them contributing. And we don't mind if all you do take info since not everyone can contribute. It was recently said that: On the Internet, you are what you write. Your response is pretty clear. I will do as you request and defer from responding to any of your future requests for technical assistance. Best of luck, firehawk, with your e39.

then you cannot read clearly...your putting words into my mouth.. but since you want to address the specific topic of deferring if you cannot give advice without being condescending then yes please defer..i tend to like this forum but there is others if your old wisdom renders you to feel so compelled to defer because you were in turn offended.. Idk what other members do but i have read a number of threads where you have come off offensive but others allow you to continue with your banter because you have knowledge on these cars.. Respect me and i'll respect you.. Like letting a old guy slap you twice in the face and you take it cause they are wise.. that wisdom should exude restraint.. i will say this again this forum isn't as easy as your trying to portray it to be when doing searches.. if people ask and your annoyed by the question then dont respond that easy.. yes it was obvious i didnt search.. if typed rotor screw in search my answer was there in first few post...but i didn't search i asked and you felt compelled to come with "did i bother to search"...well whether i did or didnt is a moot point.. i asked the question so can you help..you did but with the condition of a know it all jab... if you wanna be so sensitive to not even comment on any future questions thats on you.. lets everyone know if they ever have anything to say against the way you come off that they are subject to being ignored by the great FUDMAN(thunder sounds, lightening strikes) lol get over yourself man...either help or don't help... i have already said i appreciated the help but not your sly comment..so it is what it is..
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 525i 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Hey ...it's friday.. lets all relax.

Whats worked for me in the past is to soak the stripped screw in PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench for an hour and then wedge a flathead screw driver that is a hair wider than the bolt head as deep as you can (I pounded mine with a ribbuer mallet) and then turned with a pair of robopliers. It sounds mildly retarded... but it worked.

Good Luck!
+1 on Liquid Wrench

Quote:
then you cannot read clearly...your putting words into my mouth.. but since you want to address the specific topic of deferring if you cannot give advice without being condescending then yes please defer..i tend to like this forum but there is others if your old wisdom renders you to feel so compelled to defer because you were in turn offended.. Idk what other members do but i have read a number of threads where you have come off offensive but others allow you to continue with your banter because you have knowledge on these cars.. Respect me and i'll respect you.. Like letting a old guy slap you twice in the face and you take it cause they are wise.. that wisdom should exude restraint.. i will say this again this forum isn't as easy as your trying to portray it to be when doing searches.. if people ask and your annoyed by the question then dont respond that easy.. yes it was obvious i didnt search.. if typed rotor screw in search my answer was there in first few post...but i didn't search i asked and you felt compelled to come with "did i bother to search"...well whether i did or didnt is a moot point.. i asked the question so can you help..you did but with the condition of a know it all jab... if you wanna be so sensitive to not even comment on any future questions thats on you.. lets everyone know if they ever have anything to say against the way you come off that they are subject to being ignored by the great FUDMAN(thunder sounds, lightening strikes) lol get over yourself man...either help or don't help... i have already said i appreciated the help but not your sly comment..so it is what it is..
Fudman didn’t mean it in a bad way, he in fact is one of the best contributors, it’s the repetitiveness portion I believe (never seen him bashing others/coming off offensive, in contrary helping & giving good advices… ) I, on the other end, agree with you as far as the search function/option… IMO it's useless!!! (not a comp. guy here ) However, if you google what you need/question, it will route you to some forum (not necessarily bimmerfest) for your specific inquiry/answer, then seek additional help if needed...

Its Friday gents, let's double that!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
+1 on Liquid Wrench

Fudman didn’t mean it in a bad way, he in fact is one of the best contributors, it’s the repetitiveness portion I believe (never seen him bashing others/coming off offensive, in contrary helping & giving good advices… ) I, on the other end, agree with you as far as the search function/option… IMO it's useless!!! (not a comp. guy here ) However, if you google what you need/question, it will route you to some forum (not necessarily bimmerfest) for your specific inquiry/answer, then seek additional help if needed...

Its Friday gents, let's double that!
i usually use google last i come here first as because i trust the opinions here.. and i do know google does redirect here sometimes anyway so i make it my first stop.. If fudman didnt mean to be offensive i digress.. but even when i have searched i still get that did you search or u didnt search well enough and its gets bloody annoying.. i just feel if people are gonna genuinely help then the did you search statement in response isnt necessary.. I was on the defensive definitely. if im wrong i can and will own it.. wont run.. i assumed he was being condescending thats how i perceived it.. but thanks for pointing it out.. your right it is friday..time to unwind...
Old 01-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
I have good luck with an impact hammer on those things. Its this device that you whack with a hammer that turns a bit at the end so you really push into it while it turns to avoid stripping it. Maybe a hammer drill on low speed would work? Hammer drill not impact gun. Impact gun will make it worse.
Looks like this. Hold it in one hand smash with a hammer with the other.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Impact-socke...item1c2ea6e96a
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Last edited by Topaz540i; 01-18-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525i E39
I would drill it. easiest way, and u can get another screw, they are cheap. make sure you purchase a titanium drill bit which will drill thru screw in seconds, or you will learn the hard way like i did drilling for 3+ hours with drill bits meant for carpentry and wood...
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
Cobalt is the best for steel. Titanium is midgrade.
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw