Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 520/Jetta/300D
Question Cold Weather Diesel Running

I don't live in Texas nor California! I run a diesel and live where it gets cold in the winter!! What to use or rather add to a tankful of diesel in my car to help it run better when it's cold outside? I have no lack of access to decent/reputable diesel fuel sources so my question is what look at or use to help it run in the winter? If I'm concerned about upping the cetane level or not worrying about my fuel freezing for lack of another description, what's the scoop on what I can of should add to a tankful? There are just too many aftermarket bottles of 'elixers' out there that may and may not do all they say they do. I've heard of acetone to up the cetane of about an ounce per 5 gals and isopropal for anti icing (added before filling to mix right!) but not sure what the scuttlebut is or should be..
Any thoughts out there??
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d
Partly Cloudy 81 degrees here in Puerto Rico!!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
I use Powerservice Arctic Formula (White bottle). There is a gray bottle formula I use in the non-winter months which has a higher cetane boost. The white bottle boosts cetane by up to 6 points, prevents fuel gelling and adds lubricity to the injectors. Have been using Powerservice for 2 years and have had no issues from it.
VW Touareg V10 TDI
Hummer H3
Audi S4
Audi A8
Toyota 4 Runner
Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Mercedes 300E
GMC Jimmy
Triumph TR6
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 + Volvo S80
Acetone?? No-effing-way I'd put anything but anything but a product that was designed as a fuel additive.

I ran diesels in Michigan for years with no fuel additive- just high quality fuel. If you want to use an additive PS is a good one. I'd use the white bottle. Canadian diesel has better lubricity than the US so you're good with that.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, E28 M5, Clubman S
Opti-Lube gets good reviews.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
The one real experience I have with really cold weather involved my "d" and a town in central Quebec.Arrived in town at 5PM,went to fill my nearly empty tank with locally blended Shell diesel and called it a night.Temp at shutdown was -10F.At 8AM next day...temp -31F...it started like a champ.No fuel additives,battery charger or block heater involved...just a tankful of locally blended fuel.Yes,for the first 15 minutes or so the car sounded,and felt,like a Mack truck but after that it ran like a dream.

Fuelly

Last edited by listerone; 01-18-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Typically the diesel fuel sold in an area is formulated for the cold temperatures without needing any additional additives. That said, my personal coldest experiences have only been down to around -5 F. Started with no problems.

However, I don't recall seeing any posts from anyone encountering a problem starting due to cold temperatures over the past couple of years.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Why I ask what to use is I've also recently found there are alternatives to the off-the-shelf no warranty Gasoline Octane Boosts, where for Gas Vehicles you can make your own Octane Boost. All that takes to make is acetone, kerosene, and 100% isopropyl, 2Qt/1Qt/1/2Qt. -add 2oz to ea 5 gals/20 ltrs gas and you're not wasting your money on packaging that promises lots while not delivering...

As for a Cetane Boost for Diesels, I've heard of acetone working but I am hoping I might find some other Diesel runners who have some experience in this.
As for the Powerservice Arctic Formula, thanks, I think I've seen it and shall consider it if I must -or need to..!
What say you out there?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:58 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMCKEL View Post
As for the Powerservice Arctic Formula, thanks, I think I've seen it and shall consider it if I must -or need to..!
What say you out there?
Not Power Service Arctic Formula, but rather Diesel Fuel Supplement (the white bottle).

What 'd' do you drive?

Last edited by d geek; 01-19-2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: correction to product name
Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
Not Power Service Arctic Formula, but rather Diesel Fuel Service (the white bottle).

What 'd' do you drive?
Just got off the Power Service site. They don't mention fuel service just the Arctic Formula in a white bottle... You are talking of that same brand no?
My MB is a '86 300D, my summer ride.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 PM
diesel evangelist

This is the stuff I'm referring to. I never noticed the "arctic formula" wording:
Quote:
DIESEL FUEL SUPPLEMENT BENEFITS
Prevents fuel gelling in temperatures as low as - 40°F.
Equals performance of a 50/50 blend of No. 2 and No. 1 diesel fuels
Lowers Cold-Filter Plugging Point (CFPP) as much as 36°F. - keeps fuel-filters from plugging with wax
Boosts cetane up to 4 numbers for faster cold starts
Contains SlickdieselŪ Lubricator for maximum fuel lubrication - protects pumps and injectors from accelerated wear
Contains anti-icing additive - protects against fuel-filter icing
Contains wax anti-settling dispersants - protects against fuel-filter plugging at temperatures below the fuel cloud point
Disperses water in diesel fuel
Effective in all diesel fuels, including Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) and biodiesel blends containing up to 20% biodiesel (B20)
I was mistaken- its Diesel Fuel Supplement (not Service)
Old 02-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Typically the diesel fuel sold in an area is formulated for the cold temperatures without needing any additional additives. That said, my personal coldest experiences have only been down to around -5 F. Started with no problems.

However, I don't recall seeing any posts from anyone encountering a problem starting due to cold temperatures over the past couple of years.
I second not needing additives for winter. Same temp experience with no issues here either. Winter states, stations switch to winter diesel as well (but always verify).

Not diesel related, but since you mentioned cold environment: Don't forget to switch to a winter windshield wiper fluid, though. the placement of the windshield fluid tank under the bumper without any heating and non-heating washer heads gives you a nice block of wiper fluid if you don't. Even the crap blue stuff rated for -degrees seems to suck, at least for me it did, even though the dealership put in some bmw concentrate and i put in a bottle of concentrate. when it thawed, I drained it and switched to prestone de-icer stuff, which works very well.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:11 AM
X5///M & tuned X5d

Mein Auto: X5M/X5 35d/700hp G35
I never add anything, it Canada all stations have winter blend fuel. I have never had an issue and I have never heard of any diesel drivers complaining about diesel gelling on them.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
I never add anything, it Canada all stations have winter blend fuel. I have never had an issue and I have never heard of any diesel drivers complaining about diesel gelling on them.
This. I've gone through a week of below 0F temperatures and very low tank (less than 1/16) on one day and the car would always start (sometimes the glow plug sign would come on for 1-2 seconds and then it would start). No additives. Diesel is treated for cold temperatures here I guess.