Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2009, 10:14 PM
wolfgang0524 wolfgang0524 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 364
Mein Auto: 2010 535i M sport
Pics of M sport package and paddle shifters?

Could someone post some pics of paddle shifters on a car with the M sport package?

Does it have the M style paddle shifters with the M steering wheel or the 5 series style paddle shifters?

I just changed my order from a 535xi to a 535i. I was planning on ordering the awd and retrofitting the paddle shifters. My wife was not overly excited about that idea. After some discussion we decided that the 535i with paddle shifters and a set of snow wheels/tires would work fine. We live on the frontrange of Colorado and we generally don't see all that much snow and we do have an awd Sequoia to take the family skiing.

Added bonus, I now get the sport suspension and active roll stabilization. Neither of these options are available on the xi.

I asked the dealer if they had any 5 series with paddle shifters. He said they stopped ordering non awd 5 series. Upon doing a search of all of the new inventories for Eastern Colorado, I only found 1 non-awd 5 series and it was a 528i which does not have paddle shifters. I was fairly shocked.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-20-2009, 11:10 PM
JT 550i SD's Avatar
JT 550i SD JT 550i SD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 325
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
ask receive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang0524 View Post
Could someone post some pics of paddle shifters on a car with the M sport package?

Does it have the M style paddle shifters with the M steering wheel or the 5 series style paddle shifters?

I just changed my order from a 535xi to a 535i. I was planning on ordering the awd and retrofitting the paddle shifters. My wife was not overly excited about that idea. After some discussion we decided that the 535i with paddle shifters and a set of snow wheels/tires would work fine. We live on the frontrange of Colorado and we generally don't see all that much snow and we do have an awd Sequoia to take the family skiing.

Added bonus, I now get the sport suspension and active roll stabilization. Neither of these options are available on the xi.

I asked the dealer if they had any 5 series with paddle shifters. He said they stopped ordering non awd 5 series. Upon doing a search of all of the new inventories for Eastern Colorado, I only found 1 non-awd 5 series and it was a 528i which does not have paddle shifters. I was fairly shocked.


here are a few shots of my 550i w/SAT. Paddle shifters are great , but I dont use them as often as my brain tells me to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	178288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	178289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1726_0141.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	178290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1729_0142.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	178291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1720_0135.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	178292  

__________________
2011 550i : Alpine White l Black Dakota l Anthracite wood:M Sport pkg l Sport Trans l Active steering l Conven pkg l Driver asst pkg l Prem pkg 2 l 4 zone AC l Side/Top view cameras l HUD w/6wa ext blk pnl l BMW Media adptr /apps l M Decklid Spoiler l Clear Bra l V1 Radar; Ordered 4/9/11, Delivered 5/21/11

Retired BMW's;
-2008 550i MSport: deep Sea Blue/ Black, Loaded
-2005 545i : Silver Gray/ Auburn, Loaded
-1993 3215iA : Jet Black/ Black, Loaded[/FONT]

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:40 AM
roots roots is offline
?
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 774
Mein Auto: 2013 740i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang0524
Could someone post some pics of paddle shifters on a car with the M sport package?

Does it have the M style paddle shifters with the M steering wheel or the 5 series style paddle shifters?
M sport package and paddle shifters are actually two separate options. Paddle shifter is an option called sport auto. M sport package does not imply sport auto, however sport auto requires sport package.

With sport auto, you also get a different shifter from a regular steptronic. The shifter is shorter and it has a boot around the base. And you also get the "sport" button next to it.

If you're asking whether the paddle shifter is similar to the one in M cars, the answer is no.

On the M cars, the paddle shifters are downshift on the left side and upshift on the right side and they're pull only (flip towards you). However, sport auto paddle shifters are identical on left and right and they're push to downshift and pull to upshift.



Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang0524 View Post
I asked the dealer if they had any 5 series with paddle shifters. He said they stopped ordering non awd 5 series. Upon doing a search of all of the new inventories for Eastern Colorado, I only found 1 non-awd 5 series and it was a 528i which does not have paddle shifters. I was fairly shocked.
528 doesn't have sport auto option. Only 535 and 550 do.
__________________

2013 740i (looking to transfer my lease)
2012 528i (ED March 2012)


Past:
2011 X5d
2008 550i
2006 530i (ED Oct 2005)
2003 530i (ED Oct 2002)
1999 328i

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2009, 05:40 AM
BobFV1 BobFV1 is offline
Lazy Lightning
Location: Vienna, Virginia, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 254
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550xi
Here's pics of my 08 550 paddle shifters - I have the Sport Auto and Sport Package, and has been said, the paddle shifters are par tof the Sport Auto option:





__________________
BobFV1
2011 BMW 550xi
Dark Graphite Metallic/Black Dakota Leather/Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner, Sport Automatic Transmission, HUD, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package
2010 BMW R1200GS
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 AM
wolfgang0524 wolfgang0524 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 364
Mein Auto: 2010 535i M sport
Thanks for the pics, but I don't believe they are not exactly what I was looking for.

The M sport package that was just released in January 09 says it includes the M steering wheel. I assume this is the actual M steering wheel and not the M sport steering wheel since the package is also supposed to include other M interior items. This is the reason for my confusion and thus the question.

I believe both sets of pics so far came from 08 550's. It is interesting that the those paddle shifters have the leather insert. The pics on the '09 550 on bmwusa configurator shows the all silver push/pull type.

Any pics from an '09 5er or better yet an '09 with the M sport package?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2009, 08:32 AM
BobFV1 BobFV1 is offline
Lazy Lightning
Location: Vienna, Virginia, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 254
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550xi
See how chubby that steering wheel is on my car? That's part of the Sport package and it's a Sport wheel.
__________________
BobFV1
2011 BMW 550xi
Dark Graphite Metallic/Black Dakota Leather/Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner, Sport Automatic Transmission, HUD, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package
2010 BMW R1200GS
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2009, 09:53 AM
midwest bmw's Avatar
midwest bmw midwest bmw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Midwest USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 403
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFV1 View Post
See how chubby that steering wheel is on my car? That's part of the Sport package and it's a Sport wheel.
Gotta LOVE that chubby steering wheel. It's nothing short of perfect
__________________
Current Ride:
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2009, 12:02 AM
JT 550i SD's Avatar
JT 550i SD JT 550i SD is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 325
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
??

interesting. my bet , another BMW configurator anomaly.

I would be surprised if the shift paddles had changed from MY08 to MY09
that said , They work very well
__________________
2011 550i : Alpine White l Black Dakota l Anthracite wood:M Sport pkg l Sport Trans l Active steering l Conven pkg l Driver asst pkg l Prem pkg 2 l 4 zone AC l Side/Top view cameras l HUD w/6wa ext blk pnl l BMW Media adptr /apps l M Decklid Spoiler l Clear Bra l V1 Radar; Ordered 4/9/11, Delivered 5/21/11

Retired BMW's;
-2008 550i MSport: deep Sea Blue/ Black, Loaded
-2005 545i : Silver Gray/ Auburn, Loaded
-1993 3215iA : Jet Black/ Black, Loaded[/FONT]


Last edited by JT 550i SD; 03-22-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2009, 01:40 AM
FitzLA FitzLA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 820
Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang0524 View Post
Thanks for the pics, but I don't believe they are not exactly what I was looking for.

The M sport package that was just released in January 09 says it includes the M steering wheel. I assume this is the actual M steering wheel and not the M sport steering wheel since the package is also supposed to include other M interior items. This is the reason for my confusion and thus the question.

I believe both sets of pics so far came from 08 550's. It is interesting that the those paddle shifters have the leather insert. The pics on the '09 550 on bmwusa configurator shows the all silver push/pull type.

Any pics from an '09 5er or better yet an '09 with the M sport package?
The only difference is that with the M sport package, the steering wheel has the M logo on it and the silver part of the steering wheel is more of a carbon color. Other than that, it is exactly the same.
__________________
R.I.P. 2008 535i Platinum Grey Black Dakota Leather/Anthracite Bamboo Trim-Premium-Sport-Sport Automatic Transmission-Navigation-Sirius-Ipod has been laid to rest.

Last edited by FitzLA; 03-22-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-22-2009, 02:45 PM
drbfrog drbfrog is offline
Registered User
Location: Frisco, Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Does anyone know if the M Sport Package on the 2010 model year 535i has run flats? And what do 135M light-alloy double spoke wheels look like? Any pics? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-22-2009, 03:19 PM
kscarrol kscarrol is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Orleans
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 543
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbfrog View Post
Does anyone know if the M Sport Package on the 2010 model year 535i has run flats? And what do 135M light-alloy double spoke wheels look like? Any pics? Thanks
Had them on my old 545, really liked them. This person has them on his 535...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=353837
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-22-2009, 05:32 PM
wolfgang0524 wolfgang0524 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 364
Mein Auto: 2010 535i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzLA View Post
The only difference is that with the M sport package, the steering wheel has the M logo on it and the silver part of the steering wheel is more of a carbon color. Other than that, it is exactly the same.
Have you actually seen the steering wheel on a 2009 5er with the M sport package? The steering wheel on an M5 is definitely different than the M sport steering wheel. It doesn't look quite as thick and it has extra width for the thumbs at 10 and 2.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-22-2009, 05:49 PM
wolfgang0524 wolfgang0524 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 364
Mein Auto: 2010 535i M sport
I think I found my answer on the bmw UK website. The M steering wheel option is the same 710 number that shows up under the bmwusa M sport package.

I couldn't seem to save the picture in order to include it here, but it looks identical to the steering wheel on the M5 with the paddle shifters with the leather inserts that were included earlier in this thread from the 550i's.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 PM
calpalmer's Avatar
calpalmer calpalmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 562
Send a message via MSN to calpalmer
Mein Auto: '84 533i; '05 VNL 630 66K
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang0524 View Post
Have you actually seen the steering wheel on a 2009 5er with the M sport package? The steering wheel on an M5 is definitely different than the M sport steering wheel. It doesn't look quite as thick and it has extra width for the thumbs at 10 and 2.
I haven't seen the M5 steering wheel for quite a while, and I take you at your word about the extra width at 10 and 2... puzzling, since aggressive driving technique is benefitted from a more 9 and 3 position....

Cal
__________________
2008 550i: Space Gray, Light Poplar Trim, Anthracite Head Liner, Black Nasca Leather, Sport Package, Sport Auto w/ Paddles, Active Steering, Active Cruise, Lane Departure Warning, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side-Impact Airbags, Fold Down Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side Shades, NAV, Comfort Access, HUD, Night Vision, Logic7, HD Radio, Sirius, USB/Ipod Adapter, Phone Cradle for Blackberry 8130 Pearl, Hardwired V1 .
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-18-2009, 06:41 AM
715 715 is offline
Registered User
Location: Singapore
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: E60 523LCI
Hi Guys,

Greetings from Singapore! This is my very first post in this forum.

I have a 2008 E60 523 LCI with the standard steptronic gear shifter. I have just bought the SMG Sports Steering with Paddleshift which is exactly like the pictures shown in this thread. However, I was told by many local workshops here that it is not possible for me to make the paddleshift work in my car. Does anyone knows whether if I change my standard steptronic gear shifter to the SAT shifter, it will be possible for the paddleshift to work??

I think it's a tough question, but just trying my luck here as there might be someone here that have been through this mod just like me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 AM
wolfgang0524 wolfgang0524 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 364
Mein Auto: 2010 535i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 715 View Post
Hi Guys,

Greetings from Singapore! This is my very first post in this forum.

I have a 2008 E60 523 LCI with the standard steptronic gear shifter. I have just bought the SMG Sports Steering with Paddleshift which is exactly like the pictures shown in this thread. However, I was told by many local workshops here that it is not possible for me to make the paddleshift work in my car. Does anyone knows whether if I change my standard steptronic gear shifter to the SAT shifter, it will be possible for the paddleshift to work??

I think it's a tough question, but just trying my luck here as there might be someone here that have been through this mod just like me.

Thanks!
I was looking into doing this when I was planning on ordering a 535xi. Take a look over in http://forums.e60.net

There are a number of members who have done this modification. I don't think the SAT upgrade is necessary, but since it seems to be a simple plug and play upgrade I would look into it. Do a search for paddle shifter retrofit and SAT retrofit. I know members s_c_h_u_l_r_o_g (take out the underscores - the name kept getting messed up when posting) and my530i have person experience making wiring harnesses. Also checkout after_market_bulbs_shop on the internet (take out the underscores.

Good luck!

Last edited by wolfgang0524; 04-18-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-18-2009, 08:51 AM
inlets inlets is offline
Registered User
Location: Longboat Key, FL
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 10 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzLA View Post
The only difference is that with the M sport package, the steering wheel has the M logo on it and the silver part of the steering wheel is more of a carbon color. Other than that, it is exactly the same.
On my 02 330Ci w/ sport package, had the M steering wheel w/ logo but the stitching was red/black looked nice. Perhaps BMW is no longer using that stiching design.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 AM
inlets inlets is offline
Registered User
Location: Longboat Key, FL
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 10 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT 550i SD View Post
here are a few shots of my 550i w/SAT. Paddle shifters are great , but I dont use them as often as my brain tells me to.
I didn't order the paddle shifters w/my Msport package. My other Bimmers all has the step tronic it just felt more natural than paddles. And of course the dealer didn't have a vehicle w/ paddles to try. I going to have to do a quick re-think on whether to get the paddles. W/ paddles it's either or shifting correct? the shifter or paddles.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-18-2009, 09:47 AM
715 715 is offline
Registered User
Location: Singapore
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: E60 523LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang0524 View Post
I was looking into doing this when I was planning on ordering a 535xi. Take a look over in http://forums.e60.net

There are a number of members who have done this modification. I don't think the SAT upgrade is necessary, but since it seems to be a simple plug and play upgrade I would look into it. Do a search for paddle shifter retrofit and SAT retrofit. I know members s_c_h_u_l_r_o_g (take out the underscores - the name kept getting messed up when posting) and my530i have person experience making wiring harnesses. Also checkout after_market_bulbs_shop on the internet (take out the underscores.

Good luck!
Hi wolfgang,

Thanks for the info. I have already checked at forums.e60.net prior to finding this forum. I have also contacted the member you've mentioned, and the bulbs shop you've mentioned as well (btw, they are the same person!). And info I've gathered so far in my 'research' is that you can't have the paddleshift working on the regular steptronic electronic gearshift in the LCI.

However, I suspect that if I change the steptronic to SAT, and plus some modules/wirings etc, my paddleshift might work. This I'll need to confirm before I embark on my SAT shifter conversion project.

If I'm not wrong, there should be no one that has done the paddleshift mod with a LCI with electronic gearshift. If someone has done this successfully, I'll need to find him!!!

Anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-18-2009, 11:09 AM
wolfgang0524 wolfgang0524 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 364
Mein Auto: 2010 535i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlets View Post
I didn't order the paddle shifters w/my Msport package. My other Bimmers all has the step tronic it just felt more natural than paddles. And of course the dealer didn't have a vehicle w/ paddles to try. I going to have to do a quick re-think on whether to get the paddles. W/ paddles it's either or shifting correct? the shifter or paddles.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you can shift with the joystick, or the paddles, or use the automatic. My dealer didn't have any 5 series with paddles either since they were all xdrive models. They did have 1 series and X6's with paddles. I was a manual transmission guy, but I fell in love with the paddles on the 1 series. The response time is incredible and very smooth.

I would definitely go for them, since you also get the sports automatic transmission which apparently also gives you a more sporty feel when changing gears.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 AM
tadingle tadingle is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: BMW 550i
2010 550i M Sport

I know that this post is old, but please see attached pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 550i Steering Wheel.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	358737   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 550i-w800-h600.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	358738  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms