Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 PM
On Order 750LiAh

Mein Auto: F01
BMW Snap In Apple Adapters

OK No Fighting Kids!

I've got a 4 and the wife a 4s. I have seen newer cradles online and in BMW ads and the new cradles have little mini-fans to keep the units cool and happy and "Supposedly" do everything they are supposed to...is this the truth? Is it safe to buy the $200 charger/inductive antennae booster? Does it show artwork on the screen now? Video playback? HELP!

I am confused by all the past post bashing and I need calm answers, not tirades on hw much it costs or what is didn't do when you bought one two years ago or even last year. What's the deal today?

I am picking up a 2012 AH 750li.
Ads by Google
Old 02-06-2012, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: M6 Vert
I have the same question. I have BMW APPs and have the BMW connected but i can not play video or i cant even stream or watch youtube from the car. My wife has an 2010 GL450 and if you are on yourube the music plays into your car and it sounds outrageously good!! I want to know what other benefits i get from the cradle? could I steam youtube, Netflicks or any other videos?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
My beamer pre-dates the BMW apps option, but when I have my iphone hooked up via the usb i can stream audio through it when I'm using a youtube playlist or the spotify application. Can also do it over bluetooth if I don't feel like hooking it up. The video doesn't stream though. I had the video in motion activated a while ago, so it'll play dvd's while i'm driving but i haven't yet seen a way to get video from my phone to the car display.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 650i X-Drive M-Package
Cradle is kinda cool but i keep my ipod cable (factory apple cable - bmw app compatible) extended out of mid compartment so i can look at text msgs and accept private calls (not through speaker). I hate the fact that i have to constantly open the mid conpartment to see anything on my phone. (almost got into an accident). Only goood for long drive if you ask me.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM
RocknDoc

Mein Auto: 2012 F02 750Lix
IPhone 4 cradle and video playback

OK.... Here's the scoop. There are several versions of the BMW cradle for iPhones floating around on the internet... especially e-bay. The latest version will allow video from your phone as well as display album covers when connected to iPhone (4 & 4S specific). Don't be fooled by the cheaper cradles available as they likely don't have full functionality. Here's the correct one; BMW Apple iphone 4 Media Snap In Adapter OEM (220928981891). Pay attention to the part number!!!! I have video in motion enabled in my 7 which is a separate issue but may restrict playback through iPhone if not set up? Not sure about this.

Here's a link to DVD in motion (I'm sure there are others too but I know this works);

Email Zong for more info; zongkung@hotmail.com

Good luck!!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Escalade, 2012 750Li
I'm on my 3rd 750Li and finally I made sure that this latest one (2012 750Li) had BMW APPS (6nr package I believe- PRE installed). And to answer some questions.

1). Yes, you can view your iTunes library using the cover flow. However, those of you who have BMW APPS and haven't been able to get it to work should try this. First you need to download the connected drive iPhone app from app store. It's free. Second, you will need the MEDIA cradle snap in adapter (as mentioned above by an earlier poster). Once you snap in the adapter; you will then need to plug in your iPhone Into the cradle AND while it is In the cradle, you will need to launch the BMW connected application. Once it syncs up with your car you will then be able to use iTunes as described above, as well access to Facebook, web radio, your phone contacts and calendar appointments. I have tested all of these features using an iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 using the MEDIA cradle adapter, and both work as advertised. Also, please take note that these features are only available while the phone is in the cradle AND BMW connected is running. Do not worry, text messages and phone calls (in a. Outgoing) are NOT affected. Also, The video that is ON my iTunes Library plays just fine on the screen, and I can use iDrive to select the video, BUT IT ONLY WORKS while the car is in PARK. I don't have DVD in Motion installed and NOR do I want to have it installed. I already have a DVD bypass on my Escallade with an Alpine DVD touch screen Nav Unit, and I will be perfectly HONEST with you guys,.... It is realky COOL, BUT it is an accident waiting to happen. But each of you must make that decision for yourself, you're all adults.

2). BMW Office: first, BMW made it perfectly clear in the website that the full office features, such as texting and email, where not available on ANY version of the iPhone. I suspect it's an Apple issue. My SA told me that some of his other clients who MUST (for whatever reason) be able to access text and email via the iDrive and OFFICE feature, while driving (yes the car WILL read the email to you), are buying Blackberry's with like 50 minutes a month (really cheap) but with A BIG DATA plan. They then add the blackberry as a 2nd phone to the 7 series and when they wanna email, or text, they simply go to the phone menu and switch the main phone from the iPhone to the blackberry. The 7 allows you to sync multiple phones to the same user profile. Since I get about 50 work emails a day, I'm seriously considering buying a blackberry, but with the release last week of BMW REMOTE (YES it works perfectly and as advertised, if yours doesn't, its because you don't have BMW Apps or you failed to set it up and sync it properly... But that's off topic). But anyway, I'm hoping Apple and BMW can come come up with a software upgrade soon to make the email and text feature available via the iPhone soon.

P.S. if you are buying a new or used 7 series, and you want BMW APPS and/or full-true iPhone integration, you need to be careful. A lot of sales guys lie to you OR they honestly but mistakenly believe your car can you what you are asking it to do, in relation to iPhone, iPod integration. So DO NOT SIGN on the dotted line until the your sales guy walks over to the parts department, snaps in the MEDIA cradle and you sync your iPhone or other mobile device and be sure that BMW APPS does what you expect it to do and what the sales guy told you it would do. The features available on BMW Apps are heavily dependent on what brand/model of mobile you have. So be mindful. Since 2007 when I bought my 1st 7 series these forums have always been full about WHEN will BMW provide a Retrofit for your model car to make it fully iPhone compatible. And with the exception of some weird after market Mods, please correct me of I'm wrong, but BMW thus far had not retrofitted anything. You either orders the 6nr package when you bought your car brand new, or the guy who bought it first did so and and now you're the lucky new owner of a properly outfitted CPO 7 series.

Cheers my friends. I hopes this helped someone. :-)

Mr Mojo Rising
Old 02-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Just to clarify something, if you have BMW Apps, you do not need the cradle to use the Apps. Works fine with the white USB cable. Same goes for cover art. You can get cover art with just the USB cable.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:05 AM
On Order 750LiAh

Mein Auto: F01
OK, which dealer will give us the best deal on buying these snap-in adapters? I just don't want to spend $265 on this item. I still want it, but who has it for less?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 3.0i
I bought one on Ebay from bmwoftenafly for $200 incl shipping. He will send you an invoice to prove you bought it from a BMW dealer. Turned out it was defective (BMW NA said early versions had problems). My local BMW dealer replaced it without a hassle.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 PM
RocknDoc

Mein Auto: 2012 F02 750Lix
Ferman BMW

I also bought mine on ebay at considerable discount from legit BMW dealer;

http://stores.ebay.com/fermanbmwandmini

In new box... works perfect! They also discount many other parts! Worth checking out!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 525i
iPhone 4S Cradle

I finally purchased the Media Cradle for the iPhone 4, but I'm using a 4th generation iPod Touch right now. It takes a little this and that to get it to stay put though. I'm using velcro and a few other things. Gonna try a velcro strap as well to hold it down and keep pressure to the connector. I bought it to watch many of the mp4 movies I have. I don't like the fact that after you turn off the car, it start over, (no forward or reverse unless you remove it from the cradle. the screen size is smaller than using a DVD, but the sound is NICE. Don't care about the BMW apps since WIFI is Xfinity and it's spotty. I'm gonna keep playing with it for a week, and may buy a cheap iphone 4 JUST for the cradle. Bought it for 204 with tax from the dealership. All in all it's cool for now.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Just to clarify something, if you have BMW Apps, you do not need the cradle to use the Apps. Works fine with the white USB cable. Same goes for cover art. You can get cover art with just the USB cable.
I have BMW Apps, the app on my phone running, and attached to the USB cable, only thing that I cant seem to figure out is how to stream netflix on the screen. My car is coded, and I have watched DVDs in motion, so I know that aspect works.

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.