Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 120d Sport
BMW 120d Strange Noise

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice with a problem thats jusy started with my 120d.

I was driving home yesterday on the motorway when the car started to make a strange noise, at first I thought it was a police siren coming up behind me but then I realized that the power to the engine was almost non-existant too. Luckily I was practically home when this happened.

Idling, the car makes a very low whirring noise which becomes deafening when the accelerator is pressed. I've took a short video and put it on YouTube so you can hear it.

If I drive the car, the noise fluctuates up and down and there is little power; the car struggles to go over 30mph but the noise it makes would seriously put you off attempting it anyway.

I've had a scour of the forums and read a lot about turbos blowing and engine trouble but non of the other symptoms for those problems are there. There's no white/grey smoke billowing from the exhaust and aside from the whirring the engine seems to tick over nicely. I do smell exhaust fumes in the engine bay though.

I am praying its a pipe or something else that wont cost an arm and a leg to fix. Anyone hear have any thoughts or advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Ian
Ads by Google
Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: TSX 6 Spd
Exhaust Manifold Leak ?

It sounds like your exhaust manifold might blown a gasket or developed a crack, allowing exhaust to escape, especially since you noticed more exhaust smell underhood than normal.
It could also be the turbo housing itself and it's connection that might be leaking.

The loud whirring sound sounds like the turbo sound which is usually contained by the exhaust system itself. And with the leak, the exhaust gases are escaping and carrying the sound with it.

With the car off, take a look at your exhaust from the engine back to the firewall and see if anything looks amiss.
Look at the flanges and if hot gases are escaping they will be discolored due to the hot gases escaping through then.

There is a remote chance that Perhaps you struck some debris in the road that might have damaged one of the exhaust pipes...

Good Luck with it !
Old 07-13-2013, 05:48 AM
tonysg

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 120D Coupe
In the absence of dashboard error signals such as the engine symbol etc. the best thing to do is not to troubleshoot it yourself but
just stop, turn-off the engine, and have your vehicle towed to the nearest accredited BMW Service shop. The have a diagnostic
scanner that will tell them what is wrong with your engine and/or their experience will save you a lot of trouble and money
and prevent something more catastrophic from happening.