Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
I think Michelin makes a Pilot Sport all season tire as well.
I found this one in tire rack with good reviews from Michelin, is this the michelin pss that is being recommended here?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i, E60528i
Sam-F10...can't help but notice your F10 550i is nicely optioned and has been modded (Dinan S3 w/ exhaust!) with super car capabilities. Might be way beyond the capabilities of any all season tire available today. Unless you have no intentions of exploiting the limits of your car in S3 tune, you might play it safe with the Michelin PSS...just like BMW did the F10 M5.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
Sam-F10...can't help but notice your F10 550i is nicely optioned and has been modded (Dinan S3 w/ exhaust!) with super car capabilities. Might be way beyond the capabilities of any all season tire available today. Unless you have no intentions of exploiting the limits of your car in S3 tune, you might play it safe with the Michelin PSS...just like BMW did the F10 M5.
Thanks HDEddie1. Does the "PSS" actually stand for Michelin Pilot Super Sports? If so this appears to be a summer tire.

I realize that with summer tire I get added performance but as I am on east coast and hence prefer to stick to one set of tires ( all-season )

But I do a bit of track / autocross events, in fact I did these with my OEM Good year LS2s and they were not bad. This is probably why they wore out in 22k miles ... The reason why I stuck with LS2 is because I have the tire and wheel warranty but as BMW seems to have fixed the bubble issue I am thinking maybe I may not use this warranty anymore and why still stick with RFT.

Few basic questions I have on non-RFT, pls pitch in

- Since I still have stock suspension, if I switch to non-RFT will the ride become more cushy and if so can I negate it by keeping +2 psi tire pressure maybe?

- If I was constrained to pick all-season which tire would you guys recommend?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-F10 View Post
I found this one in tire rack with good reviews from Michelin, is this the michelin pss that is being recommended here?

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
That's a good tire.

Don't sleep on Yokohama's.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
That's a good tire.

Don't sleep on Yokohama's.
thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 AM

Sam-F10, Yes...The Michelin PSS are the Pilot Super Sport OEM tire for the F10 M5 and yes, a "maximum" summer performance tire. That you have an all season requirement, then the Pilot A/S is an all season performance tire would be an excellent choice, from what I've read. The tire rack reviews/surveys support these tire choices as well. I doubt if either tire would be "cushy" and on track days you'd want to run additional PSI+ nevertheless.
I've not tracked my F10 nor have either Michelin tire yet so other posters with specific experience might lend some insight.
BTW...I'm really surprised to hear that you had relative success and long life out of the OEM Goodyears as many posters on this forum have suffered the bubble failure. Even more impressive is that you're able to track the car with stock suspension rather than some race specific upgrade (ie coil overs, adjustable shocks, M5 sway bars, etc).
Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 AM

Thanks HDEddie1.

I realized when buying this car it was not for tracking but still it is not too bad for some occasion fun events without compromising luxury. Since I have DDC & ARS is it not that bad. I did a few Autocross and HPDE events and it was fun!

In fact I did all this before my Dinan 3 & Exhaust upgrades. Cannot wait to see how it will perform with it later this summer.

Quote:
Sam-F10, Yes...The Michelin PSS are the Pilot Super Sport OEM tire for the F10 M5 and yes, a "maximum" summer performance tire. That you have an all season requirement, then the Pilot A/S is an all season performance tire would be an excellent choice, from what I've read. The tire rack reviews/surveys support these tire choices as well. I doubt if either tire would be "cushy" and on track days you'd want to run additional PSI+ nevertheless.
I've not tracked my F10 nor have either Michelin tire yet so other posters with specific experience might lend some insight.
BTW...I'm really surprised to hear that you had relative success and long life out of the OEM Goodyears as many posters on this forum have suffered the bubble failure. Even more impressive is that you're able to track the car with stock suspension rather than some race specific upgrade (ie coil overs, adjustable shocks, M5 sway bars, etc).
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 AM

You'll smoke em!

With Dinan S3, exhaust, and your DDC set to sport +, I can't help but believe you'll smoke em', literally, the new tires and the competition.

I think your friends on this forum would love to see a video clip of your F10 in action...hunt and kill mode...just rounding the final turn. You GO man!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM

Here is one video from an autox event I drove in, enjoy!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM

So good, I watched it twice!

Amazing! Your car at speed seemed so effortless. Bet the shot from inside of the cockpit was just as fun...the tach sweeping with every slowdown and rev right back up for the next shift. I can also imagine the billows of tire dust with every chicane/turn...wish I were the chase car!
Thanks for sharing

Last edited by HDEddie1; 02-06-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:20 AM

Thanks Eddie. It was lot of fun, did not realize this car can do that much...

I see you have a 550 as well, interested in any of these events? I am sure there are plenty more in the west coast.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
There is a new All Season coming this spring from Michelin. Forget the name, but it replaces the Pilot Sport All Season Plus. It is the all season version of the Pilot Super Sport.

I would wait for this of you can.

If you cannot, I have had several iterations of the Pilot Sport All Season and they have been great.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-07-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
There is a new All Season coming this spring from Michelin. Forget the name, but it replaces the Pilot Sport All Season Plus. It is the all season version of the Pilot Super Sport.

I would wait for this of you can.

If you cannot, I have had several iterations of the Pilot Sport All Season and they have been great.
That's great news! Thanks NeedsDecaf.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
That's great news! Thanks NeedsDecaf.
Pilot Sport All Season 3

http://www.michelinman.com/pilotspor...FQHonAodAG8ANQ

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
BMWBLOG did a preview test with Michelin on these tires, and they were very impressed.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/01/22/bm...ot-sport-as-3/
Old 02-07-2013, 09:08 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
I went to the site and checked initial availability for our vehicle and it said won't be available. So I wonder how long we would have to wait for them in our size.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
WOW; Spec-wise, etc., those tires look amazing!!!

G-d I hope they come in the sizes I need!!!

Last edited by dbs600; 02-07-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:42 AM

Sam-F10: Actually, your video has inspired me. I'll be looking for just such an event. Have some mods I got to do first: Springs, Sways, track rims/tires (much lighter), and if budget permits, a Dinan 2 upgrade. The Dinan upgrade is of particular interest to me...I can only imagine the 550i once the rev limiter and boost is raised.
Thanks again!
Quote:
Thanks Eddie. It was lot of fun, did not realize this car can do that much...

I see you have a 550 as well, interested in any of these events? I am sure there are plenty more in the west coast.

Last edited by HDEddie1; 02-08-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
It doesn't look like this tire will fit the F10, at least not in the near term.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
It doesn't look like this tire will fit the F10, at least not in the near term.
How about the F01/02 with OEM 20" Wheels?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
How about the F01/02 with OEM 20" Wheels?
Use the link on the web page and see if it fits your car.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Sam-F10: Actually, your video has inspired me. I'll be looking for just such an event. Have some mods I got to do first: Springs, Sways, track rims/tires (much lighter), and if budget permits, a Dinan 2 upgrade. The Dinan upgrade is of particular interest to me...I can only imagine the 550i once the rev limiter and boost is raised.
Thanks again!
Cheers! Here is one website I found which hosts Auto X type events in your area. There is one on 2/17.....

http://www.solo2.com/EventCalendar.asp