Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Engine too hot light and humming sound.

my engine too hot light came on today while driving. the car is a 2006 325i with 107k mileage. My first impression was maybe its low on coolant but has anyone else experience the same issue recently or know what i can do. can someone give me a rough estimate of how much its will cost?? Money is tight right now. thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
You need to provide more details on what you posted. You never said anything about the humming sound. What is humming the electric fan or what?
In all likelihood venturing a guess the water pump or tstat is toast.
If it is the waterpump you are looking at a pretty significant cost since it is an electric water pump.
http://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/200...iagram=F272030
If you can't do the work the dealer will charge you a good 3 hours labor. I suggest an independent unless you are handy you can do it yourself.
The site I referenced is the cheapest BMW parts I know of but visit the classified section vendor area and try a few others. It makes no sense to replace the water pump without replacing the tstat too since it is also a failure item.

Water pump is 450-500 tstat about 100 bucks...
Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
thanks alot for that info. the humming sound comes after i drive it on the road for 5mins. the sound is more like a fan going off in the engine. i also noticed the coolant level being low would you happen to know if that could be a sign of the water pump issue. i went to autozone to get the coolant for German cars but after driving again for few minutes the sound came back on.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
It is most likely the fan coming on. Yes the coolant level should filled to mark. Not likely it is the water pump but you should look under the car when parked and see if you see or smell coolant. Could be the water pump leaking or something else like the tstat sticking. The fan running is a sign that the pump or tstat are toast since it is running hot and the fan is trying to cool it off with insufficent heat exchange.
Don't drive this car if this has happened (engine symbol) you can easily overheat this engine and cause the cylinder head gasket to fail then you are in a world of hurt. Don't screw around with this problem. Get the codes read soon and don't take a chance on overheating this engine because I assure you that a cylinder head gasket replacement is a lot more expensive than a water pump or tstat replacment...
Until you get coded pulled we are simply guessing...