Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
INPA or Bavarian Technic

Happy New Year! I am in the market for a code reader to reset an airbag light. I have a 2006 3.0si Z4. I have two in mind and would like your input as to which would be the better option. I know the BT is around $300 and good for 3 VIN's and fairly user friendly. The INPA is much cheaper $20-$50 but less user friendly. However, I am fairly computer literate and comfortable around the technical side of things.

If I just want to get the airbag light and reset the code, is the INPA the better option?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
I use INPA. Once you get it installed properly and use it, you start to figure out what it is trying to do and it get rather easy.

I also have the AutoEnginutiy with BMW extras. INPA beats is hands down for what you can monitor/control and reset on the car.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Thanks Shipkiller. I really appreciate all of the advice you give on the forums. I have learned a ton just reading through the multiple posts. After a little additional research, I found that the software only works on computers with a 32 bit operating system. Unfortunately, both of ours are 64 bit. I will either have to find a loner 32 bit laptop or go with the BT. Thanks again for your post.

Jerry
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
INPA.... WILL work on Win7 64. My primary diagnostic laptop is running Win7 64 and it works great. The only piece of software (I know of) that does not run on a 64bit system is NCS Expert, which is the software you use for coding/recoding which you will not use very often....

I do have a VM that run 32bit XP on it so I can do coding...

I have a full INPA install on the Win7 side, I just don't use NCS Expert, and a full install on the VM. I can switch to and from at will.

DO NOT use WinXP mode VM from Microsoft. While it works, it runs VERY slowly.. VMWare runs rings around XP mode...
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 01-18-2013, 05:39 AM

I found a good deal on a BT on Craigslist. I was amazed at how easy and user-friendly the BT was. My airbag light was diagnosed and erased within a couple of minutes. The code it threw was ZKO. I did a lot of Googling, but didn't come up with much information other than it might be a loose wire/connection in the steering wheel. After 4 days, the light hasn't come back on so I am hoping it stays that way! Just glad to have that stupid yellow light off for the time being. Once I have some more time, I plan to explore the software a bit further. If the light doesn't come back on, I might sell the BT and come out close to even. Better than paying $120 to have the dealership for a 2 minute job.

Jerry