Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Mein Auto: e92 M3 6MT
How fast the 550gt REALLY is

I've been really interested in figuring out exactly how fast the 550GT is with some upgrades. There's tons of info on the F10's but as we all know the GT is quite a bit beefier, up to 500lbs beefier, and of course that makes a big difference.

Even BMW's own figures are conflicting with each other. Straight off the BMWUSA website they say 5.3 sec 0-60 here: http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw/5series/granturismo

And then they list it as 4.7 sec here: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

Now I'm not ignorant to deviations in performance numbers but HEY BMW that's over half a second difference!

Then if you take a look at the X5 with the same V8 turbo, BMW rates it at 4.7 sec 0-60 also. Keep in mind the X5 is about 200lbs MORE than the GT. And it has the same acceleration? So let's do the math. 550 GT is 500lbs more than the 550 sedan and it's .4 sec slower. The X5 is 200lbs more than the GT and its the...SAME?

I know there's more to it than just the power to weight ratio but c'mon, these numbers don't jive.

So the question remains. How fast is the 550GT really???

Old 10-23-2015, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
It will vary, sometimes considerably just from weather and temperature changes along with the state of the track and whether rear-wheel or x-drive and the tires on it. The 550's power output has not remained constant, so that can make a difference, too.
Jim DeBruycker

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
Today's Posts Search