Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: '98 Z3 M ROADSTER
6CD Changer for 98 M Roadster

I have the original Business Cassette radio installed in my 98 M Roadster but plan to replace it with a somewhat newer Business CD version for which I recently received the appropriate start-up code. I know both systems are dated, but I'm trying to keep it more or less original. I would also like to include a 6 CD Changer in the trunk but have a few questions which hopefully can be easily answered. Am I limited to specific models of the changer in order to be compatible with the aforementioned CD radio? Secondly, how much trunk space does the changer require? It's capacity is limited even when empty of additional equipment. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 04-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
I have the CD changer coupled to the Business CD radio in my 2001 Z3 3.0. It occupies a fairly small space in the upper, right, rear corner of the trunk, but it does interfere with putting a golf bag in the trunk. I've been thinking of taking mine out because I never use it anymore, so if you need one (including the cover), let me know.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 98 MZ3
I have the changer in my 98 M Roadie with the indash cassette. The changer was hung from the upper left part of the trunk cavity, and protected by a metal box. I like using it but it does consume a LOT of space in that location and makes loading some luggage pieces impossible. I've heard of people or dealers mounting them vertically (load from the top) in the left side trunk floor on the opposite side from the mobility kit.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:33 PM

Thanks for both of the above replies. The've pretty much answered or shed some light on my immediate concerns and raised some others. I also play golf and fly radio controlled models so trunk space is a particular issue. You mentioned, dadmog, coupling your changer to, I assume, a BMW Business Cassette radio. Does this allow cassettes to be played in-dash and cds via the changer? A little clarification would help. And yes, Mike, I would definitely be interested in your changer, assuming I'm willing to give up the trunk space required. In the meantime, if you decide to sell please email me at alandavissr@gmail.com with the details, thanks.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe/99 540i
I added a CD changer to my 99 Coupe and it was plug & play. There was a blank off plate where it went in and when I took off the plate the wire harness for the CD changer was already there. The CD changer came from a 2000 528 and plugged right in. The head unit in the dash recognized it right away. When CD is selected on the head unit the number buttons select the disc.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 PM

Thanks for your comments, Marty. I assume you had the appropriate brackets and case, or whatever, to mount the changer, and apparently the installation went smoothly. That's encouraging!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe/99 540i
Actually didn't have any mounting bracket etc., just used what was there and stuff scrounged from around the garage. No doubt there is an official BMW kit for this but a few screws and some washers did the trick.